• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
I'm retarded. Lol
But seeing as how you guys can't help me with that, how do I open AdvMap Editor? Do I need Winzip to Unzip it? Can I get Winzip for somewhere for free? Thanks! All the tutorials I find are always fragmented, and never take into account the level of inexperience the person watching might be at.
@__@
You can use WinZip or WinRAR (as well as other programs). Windows XP and later can open .zip files without having to use another program. You just need to extract all the files in the .zip file to a new folder.

I don't think tutorials should have to take into account people as inexperienced as you. That would make tutorials several pages long.

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
I'm not insulting anybody's tutorials (especially since many on here are awesome!), but it stands to reason that anything should be taught in a strict linear step by step fashion. If it takes a few extra paragraphs, then so be it. A beginners tutorial is a beginners tutorial. It should assume nothing. (And your tid-bit only took a few sentences... Fancy that). Thanks anyways though---

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
I'm not insulting anybody's tutorials (especially since many on here are awesome!), but it stands to reason that anything should be taught in a strict linear step by step fashion. If it takes a few extra paragraphs, then so be it. A beginners tutorial is a beginners tutorial. It should assume nothing. (And your tid-bit only took a few sentences... Fancy that). Thanks anyways though---
Well Imagine someone is going to teach you how to get somewhere by car.
Does that person need to teach you to drive?

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
Ok, I got the trainer image from FireRed saved and edited into Ruby but when I view it on the game the colors are off and very different then what it shows on the image. How do I fix this?

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
Well Imagine someone is going to teach you how to get somewhere by car.
Does that person need to teach you to drive?

Absolutley. Think about it logically. If someone was like "i'm going to teach you how how to get somewhere by car", without knowing anything about the person, it would be presumptious to assume I even knew how to drive a car- or maybe even what a car was for that matter.

It's tantamount to someone being all "i'm gonna teach you how to stall a Cessna in midflight, but I assume you already know how to take off". :s. Ironically all I needed was something that simple explained to me. The actual tutorials make ROM hacking retard proof simple biscuits. (Well maybe not scripting...:S)

Thanks for the answer Thrace. Most people get all offended and just think someone is lazy when asking simple questions such as that. Hopefully you'd be willng to answer more if any arise. Peace!

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Absolutley. Think about it logically. If someone was like "i'm going to teach you how how to get somewhere by car", without knowing anything about the person, it would be presumptious to assume I even knew how to drive a car- or maybe even what a car was for that matter.

It's tantamount to someone being all "i'm gonna teach you how to stall a Cessna in midflight, but I assume you already know how to take off". :s. Ironically all I needed was something that simple explained to me. The actual tutorials make ROM hacking retard proof simple biscuits. (Well maybe not scripting...:S)

Thanks for the answer Thrace. Most people get all offended and just think someone is lazy when asking simple questions such as that. Hopefully you'd be willng to answer more if any arise. Peace!

Point it that person more then likely can't just give you what you need to drive. -_-

Hey does anyone know if emerald has the door animations the same as ruby? (HA NOT SPAM! :P)

Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2010
hey. I need a little help on sprites. In my hack, person will come up to you and talk to you. When he is finished talking, he will stay there. When the player leaves the town and comes back, he is back in his original position. How do you make it so he stays where he is permanently?

No idea I'm afraid. I don't think it'd be easy (finding out how to do it anyway). If you're really desperate you could replace that track with blank music.

That would work. Do you know which program I would use to do that?

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
Ok, I got the trainer image from FireRed saved and edited into Ruby but when I view it on the game the colors are off and very different then what it shows on the image. How do I fix this?
You must have forgotten to import the palette with the sprite.

hey. I need a little help on sprites. In my hack, person will come up to you and talk to you. When he is finished talking, he will stay there. When the player leaves the town and comes back, he is back in his original position. How do you make it so he stays where he is permanently?

That would work. Do you know which program I would use to do that?
You can do this with either a level script (the most elegant solution but probably the harder of the two) or you can simply have two people and hide the first and show the second person when the first script is run.

You can use Sappy, unfortunately I've never used Sappy so I can't give anymore information on how you would do it.

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2010
I was working with A-Text and somehow my rom got this bug.
(sorry i cant post urls yet...
h ttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/Drakuaza/ThmonSpecial_02.png

it doesnt affect at all the gameplay but it bothers me. does anyone know how to fix this?

Tochukaso

Grass + Bug
Years
  • Seen Dec 7, 2009
is there any way to edit a pokemons name in DP? because i am trying to insert new evolutions by overwriting existing pokemon.

i'm also having trouble running thenewpoketext, because all it does is make a folder with nothing in it.

any suggestions?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023
I was working with A-Text and somehow my rom got this bug.
(sorry i cant post urls yet...
h ttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/Drakuaza/ThmonSpecial_02.png

it doesnt affect at all the gameplay but it bothers me. does anyone know how to fix this?

A-Text screws your ROM if you exceed the limit of a speech you are editing.
Example, you erase all the person's speech, giving you a hundred characters to use. If you exceed, then it repoints to an already used offset that the ROM uses, which results to your bug.

I suggest you do scripting rather than text editing.

Level scripts.

Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2014
Hi guys im completly new to hacking pokemon games, i wanna make one for my friend, but i can't find where to start, can somone tell me like what should I learn to do first, in order to start hacking?
progress.gif

I posted this in another thread and it was the wrong one lol.

also, if anyone saw the iconmon hack video where the guy edits the graphic of the attack, how do you do that?

School days again...
Years
Hi guys im completly new to hacking pokemon games, i wanna make one for my friend, but i can't find where to start, can somone tell me like what should I learn to do first, in order to start hacking?
progress.gif

I posted this in another thread and it was the wrong one lol.

also, if anyone saw the iconmon hack video where the guy edits the graphic of the attack, how do you do that?

Look for tutorials in the Documents and Tutorials Section.

My question:
Does someone know where to find Diamond/Pearl/Platinum Maps including the routes and other locations like caves?

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen May 9, 2010
I'm confuzzled about offsets.
If someone gives me the offset "0x0805F4B0" what would I type in my hex editor's "Jump To" function?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back