• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official AshGray Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
Official AshGray Guide

Hack Made
By
metapod23
Guide Written
By
Denali

Things You Will Need

<<<Windows>>>
Lunar IPS (LIPS)

Visual Boy Advance (VBA)
Clean Pokémon FireRed ROM (Google it!)

<<<Mac>>>
IPS Mac (MIPS)
Visual Boy Advance (VBA)
Clean Pokémon FireRed ROM (Google it!)

Table Of Contents
Introduction
Download And Start Playing AshGray
Controls
The Guide
-Pallet Town
Bugs

Introduction
Hello everyone! I hope you read and find my guide useful as I continue to update it. I've noticed there's been many questions about "How do I download this amazing game?" or "Where do I go from here?" Well, this guide aims to cover all of that. If you have any questions about AshGray's development, then please post your questions in the main thread. If you have any questions about where you should go next, or where to get a certain Pokémon, then post your question here. You can also post any bugs or glitches you find in AshGray, as I will make a list for metapod23.

Download And Start Playing AshGray
First, go to the Official Thread. Then, scroll down to the bottom of the very first post, and click the link to the most recent version. Click "Save", and choose a secret place that nobody knows about. After that, download Lunar IPS (LIPS). The next thing you should do is download a clean Pokémon FireRed ROM (Can't give you a link; just Google it). Open LIPS, find the AshGray file you saved earlier and double click it. Then find the clean FireRed ROM you downloaded, and double click that. You did it! You can now play Pokémon AshGray! But wait… What do you play it on? Click the Visual Boy Advance link at the top of the thread. Save it. Open VBA (Visual Boy Advance) and click on file. Click open, and find the FireRed file you patched AshGray to. (Remember that it's the FireRed ROM, not the AshGray file!)

Controls
Stuck on how to proceed from the start screen? Or want to make custom controls?

Face/Move Up - Up Arrow
Face/Move Down - Down Arrow
Face/Move Left - Left Arrow
Face/Move Right - Right Arrow
Z - Interact/Talk/Proceed

X - Cancel/Say No

A
- Help Key
S - Help Key

Backspace - Select
Enter - Start Menu
Space Bar - Fast Forward

Capture - F12

Custom Controls -
(Options - Joypad - Configure - 1)

The Guide

Pallet Town
Once you've gone through Professor Oak's introduction, you will notice that you start in your room. You will also notice that trying to walk down the stairs is also going to end up in complete failure. So, you take your mothers advice. Walk up to the Poké Ball by your desk and press the Z key. Say yes, and then walk over to your bed. Stop directly on the nice and comfy pillow. Now face down and tap Z. Running through a sleek cut scene, you'll enjoy thinking about Bulbasaur and Squirtle and Charmander and - oh no! You're late! So quickly run downstairs and walk outside. You can talk to your mom, though she just says that your late (Thanks for waking me up, mom!).

Now, you'll notice if you walk north a girl will stop you, telling you to visit Professor Oak. So travel south, and stop by the other houses in Pallet Town (It's not necessary but it's fun to see what they say!). Once you see two red posts, and a yellow path, head up it. Trying to enter the door, you'll be stopped by Gary (Or whatever you named your Rival). Listen to what he has to say (Although it's not interesting: lol), and walk through the door. You may go out the back door, but there are just some Pokémon out there. Walk up the stairs, and talk to Professor Oak. He'll talk about receiving a Pokémon, etc., etc. Interact with all three Poké Balls. Once all three are open, talk to the Professor once more. Finally, you'll receive Pikachu! Oak will also give you a Pokédex (Lazy old duff). After he's done giving his speech, walk downstairs and go out the front door and down the path. Your mom will come up to you. She gives you Running Shoes and a handy Fame Checker. Congratulations! You can now run! Just hold the X button down and tap the direction you want to go! Traveling north, the girl should be gone, therefore, you can take your first step in becoming the Pokemon Master! (And out of Pallet Town).

Bugs
-Computer dialogue box sticks to screen until it is refreshed.

Last edited by a moderator:

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Thanks for doing this, Denali! :)

The town map/fame checker bug should be fixed in the next beta.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Wouldn't it be easier to make videos instead of writing it all?

Denali

C++ Programmer
Years
Wouldn't it be easier to make videos instead of writing it all?
I think videos would be too lame and boring. Plsu, it could load slow and become really hard to find where you need help at. And also I would have to upload new videos every single time a beta came out. But eventually I hope to add pictures.

Bolens

Soul Hacker
Years
  • Age 30
  • PA
  • Seen Aug 22, 2016
I love this game. Thanks for making a walk through of it. It is like a dream come true, thanks.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
where do you get a bike and how

Ash never gets a bike to keep, why should you? ;)

You do get one briefly when you deliver Joy the medicine from Fuchsia City. If you must keep it, just never talk to the Joy you're to deliver the medicine to.

Years
I stuck at the Legend of Dratini. I saved it and then the warden tells me to meet him at his house. Where is it?

Pokemon1222

Grabbin some pillz!
Years
It's VERY good in skins, mapping AND cutscenes, however i noticed a few odd glitches and stuff...
Pikachu when used in battle comes out of a pokeball :l
You run into pokemon every 4 to 10 steps in tall grass
Misty dosnt appear during viridan forest
Town map says im at the north pole :l
I havn't fully played it yet, but from what i've played so far, this is VERY awesome, 10/10 and a recomend to anyone who is deciding to play this :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 16, 2014
where do you get a bike and how

Not sure if it was a glitch or what since I never got a bike voucher in this game, but if I remember correctly in the original fire red the head of the pokemon fanclub gives you one, but in this game you get an exp share. After I beat Surge and got the exp share I talked to the guy at the bike shop and he gave it to me as if I had a voucher. My guess is that even if it doesn't show up, you still get the voucher from the head of the fan club.

Years
Hello
When I arrive has saffron city the team rocket does not allow to pass me that I have to make?
Im playing on beta 2.1
Sorry for my bad english.
Help me!!

Last edited:

Kininja

Where is Wally?
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2011
Im surfing !!!
i have no pokemon
Help
I keep surfing into imagainary walls