• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can I stay with you?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
You're an adult in your late 20s living on your own in a one bedroom apartment.

It's around 6pm on a Saturday afternoon, and there's a knock on the door. You drop your dish you were washing and walk to the door.

"Hello. How may I help you?"

It's a complete stranger, dressed in khaki pants and a graphic tee with a plaid overthrow shirt unbuttoned and a messenger bag. "Can I stay with you? I have nowhere to go."

What do you do? Do you let the stranger in your home?

Years
Yes, I would let him or her in my house, but of course I'd be really cautious. If I could, I would even help him/her stand up and get a home or job eventually.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Ok this is a tough one. Im not sure, I know nothing about this person and have never seen them in my life. Although I feel like I would want to help this person out and they might seem nice, Im not sure Id be comfortable just letting some stranger into my home to stay.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
No.
Go ask someone else. Please leave.

I don't trust people. Why would I let a stranger in my house?

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Clean everything plz <-- i think i would probably say this lol but id be careful since its a total stranger.

Honest

Hi!
Years
I'd make him clean the dishes that somehow I was doing. Cause I don't wash dishes

No. As rude as it might sound, I don't know anything about him. He could be the nicest guy in the world, or he might be an ex convict, as far as my knowledge is concerned. To permit entry would be a risk I wouldn't take. I would, however, try to help him out. I'm not that heartless. I'd redirect him to some place where he could crash for a while. Not my house however, sorry.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
No. I live in a bad area so it's not wise to trust people here, and I don't have the luxury of risking someone stealing all my things and possibly harming my family. I'd probably help them find the nearest shelter though, because that's no risk to me.

Years
No. I live in a bad area so it's not wise to trust people here, and I don't have the luxury of risking someone stealing all my things and possibly harming my family. I'd probably help them find the nearest shelter though, because that's no risk to me.

But it's fine if they steal some of your things right? It's also fine if they only steal all of your things or just harm your family. Haha, nah I'm just joking around. Even I admit that's taking the logical approach too far.

As for me, hmm I think I would let them crash round at least for a short period of time. Long term I'm not so sure.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
I would let them in, and get them something to eat. It's how I was raised.

My grandparents started a foodshelf out of their own pocket, and now it's a pretty established mission in the community. My grandma (died two years ago) would say "You never know when Jesus is going to come to your door asking for help. You might not know it's him, he might not say who he is, but you help him anyways."

Thing is, this exact situation, is something that happened in my family a lot. I'd be at my grandma's, chilling with my uncle and then a man in raggy clothes would knock on the door saying he had no where to go. My grandma would let him in, feed him half the bloody kitchen, then show him the bathroom and guestroom. There was hardly a time that there wasn't a stranger or two there. Lots of times they were the mother or father of families we'd helped, or they were literally someone who rang the door bell. Lead to meeting some really cool people, and some really... interesting... ones. Teens running away from bad homes, pregnant women with no idea where to go, homeless vets, anyone could come over and be welcome. Some even stayed for a few weeks.

Sometimes even local cops would stop by for lunch.

I'm don't believe in religion or god anymore, I'm atheist, but that doesn't mean that part of that lesson didn't stick with me. I help others whenever I can, however I can. So I'd invite him in, offer him whatever food I could, maybe a soda or some water, and sit down and talk.

I have a shotgun anyways so if he tried anything...

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If I say no, I'd be afraid of being turned into a beast and having to fall in love with someone.

But no really, I'd probably say no because...just...idk. I don't trust many people, especially random people that turn up at the door. I wouldn't let him or her leave empty handed though. I'd probably give them a few food supplies, a blanket I don't need, and a water bottle or two, among other things. I can't shelter people I don't know in such an age where no one can be trusted, but I won't let someone just leave with nothing to eat or drink or anything of the sort.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Hadn't even thought of it, but I agree with part of Sydian's post. I would at least attempt to help them without actually letting them into my house.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
Years
Probably yes. I'd be feeling guilty if I abandoned someone like this. What if it was me? I'd help him out and let him stay for some time. Eventually I'd help him search for a job. I'd be very cautious though.
I just wouldn't say no. I love to help people out and who knows if this stranger I helped won't be the one who helps me out when I need it.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
No. I don't think well of pre-emptive trust. I'll send them on their way, maybe also give them some food.

Years
I'd be far too afraid and paranoid to let them stay. I'd probably try to do what I could, but I hardly like people I know staying over at my house -- I wouldn't let a stranger. Just no way.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
No, and I'll gladly suffer life's consequences for it because the scenario is horribly against my favor. I am living alone, which means this person could easily kill me or rob me blind. If the person in question is 100% trustworthy, then the situation is problematic because there is no set time limit on when they'll be leaving. Even if they were trustworthy and only wanted to spend the night, then I'd STILL say no because I'm as much of a stranger to them as they are to me and they could ask somebody else just as easily.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Always. Not having a bed to rest your head at night is one of the worst things ever. Obviously it couldn't be forever, but I'd let him crash a few days and even help get him back up on his feet. The world could do with a little more hospitality in my opinion.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I would say. ID give, now. Don't have? Let's go to the police to figure out who you are. If you're a burglar trying to steal my money, I'll laugh at you and search with you. Basically, if he try any funny business, I'll break his legs. Most likely I would say no anyways and to go to the nearest homeless shelter.

Broken_Arrow

Paper Plane
Years
i wouldn't let them stay because simply i wouldn't trust them But i'll do what i can to help them...after all i'm a girl and living a lone..i need to take care of myself and safety too!can you blame me?? i think no..and even if you blamed me i won't care cuz it won't change anything..stranger is danger.

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
As I have no idea who in the world this person is, and because I don't usually interact with foreign people (in the sense of "never seen X person before" foreign), I wouldn't allow this person into my house. I wouldn't know what they would do once allowed inside, and once you allow somebody suspicious into your house, you have to go to the trouble to get them out. I'd probably just go quiet and wait for them to relocate themselves.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
It all depends on the vibes I get from the person. Although I'd be likely to turn them away based on the fact that they're a complete stranger, I'd at least give them some food and ask them to explain their story to me. If the story came with the promise from me that I'd let them stay the night, I'd have to think about it, but I'd probably let them stay.
It just depends on what vibes I get, how they present themselves, etc. I don't want to be heartless and send them on their merry way, but if I feel like there's something sinister going on, I will close the door on them instantly.

Back