• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Advice

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
This is a problem for everyone so don't worry. When you are doing a battle, it is good trying to visualize how you want the battle to end first to me. Think of a scene to build the battle towards before creating each individual part. Think who you want the victor to be and how you want them to win. Was it a cheap shot? Was it a massive clash of Razor Leaves and Hydro Pump? Think of a scene a work towards that scene.

Remember to be as descriptive as possible towards those scenes. I think people tend to assume since it is a Pokemon fan fiction that it they people knows what Tri-Beam looks like. Take a spin on the moves that you think has room to be changed. People aren't going to fuss at you if you make Double Kick look seriously awesome. Have fun with the battle. Pretend that you it is animated in your head.

Also, keep the pokemon moving--not just doing attack back and forth. The anime and the video games makes it look the pokemon are standing face to face all the time and slinging attacks back in forth on a linear field. That's not the case. You need to have them alive as though they are fighting for their lives. The pokemon should have the ability to know when to dodge and the trainer shouldn't spew out ever single attack (well in dialogue).

Pokemon can do more than just attacks so remember that. They can jump, dodge, catch, etc. Make it realistic like you are watching a movie.

I hope that this helped. :D

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Hi there. Battles are an interesting topic, because they're hard to do well, but so integral to the franchise. I understand if you're unable to do this, but it will help if you could be a bit more specific on what part of battles you have trouble with.

For example, you might struggle with making attacks captivating, or your battles might suffer from resembling the turn-based nature of the games, like Sgt Shock talked about. If you can give us some more information, it becomes easier to target the things that you need more help with. :)

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
I think my best attribute in my fics is battling, from what I've been told by many of my reviewers. I try to keep the battle style as similar to the anime as possible, but I also add my flavor into the mix. You have to realize that Pokemon, in a sense, are animals. They too suffer battle damage such as scars, bruises, and maybe bleeding if your fic calls for it. Just remember, depending on the epicness of the battle, you may want to make it long and descriptive. However, if there's no need for longevity, don't draw out the battle so much that it's unnecessary and unneeded. If you ever need help, PM. In fact, you can do that if you want. You could send me an example of a battle and I'll analyze it for you. :)

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
Hey there.

Let me first tell you that when it comes to battling, you are not alone. Battles are a real pain in the tail for me to write, which may sound strange considering that I'm writing a journeyfic, but still. I'll tell you first that if you want to have a battle, decide on which mechanics you're using. For example, do you want your battles to be turn-based strategic duels, or should the Pokémon be sicced on each other like in a dogfight? Personally, I use the turn-based method, but as others pointed out that is not the entire script of the battle. Don't just say something like...

"Charmander!" called Alec. "Use Scratch!" Charmander ran towards Ratatta and raked a claw down its side.

"Argh!" boomed Bart. "You'll pay for that! Ratatta, give it your best Tackle!" Ratatta slammed into Charmander's underbelly with its head. Charmander fainted.

"Oh no!" wailed Alec. "I have been defeated!"

Well, by all definitions it got the point across, but it was... well... boring. Add the Trainer's (or Trainers') thoughts, put more description into the Pokémon's actions or the Trainer's, and please, please don't think that a one-on-one battle between a Charmander and a Ratatta should be about as long as the average Stephenie Meyer novel.

Otherwise, yeah. Like the others said, we need some examples if we want to identify things more in-depth.

Donphan13

Exsplosive Rollout Fan
Years
This is a problem for everyone so don't worry. When you are doing a battle, it is good trying to visualize how you want the battle to end first to me. Think of a scene to build the battle towards before creating each individual part. Think who you want the victor to be and how you want them to win. Was it a cheap shot? Was it a massive clash of Razor Leaves and Hydro Pump? Think of a scene a work towards that scene.

Remember to be as descriptive as possible towards those scenes. I think people tend to assume since it is a Pokemon fan fiction that it they people knows what Tri-Beam looks like. Take a spin on the moves that you think has room to be changed. People aren't going to fuss at you if you make Double Kick look seriously awesome. Have fun with the battle. Pretend that you it is animated in your head.

Also, keep the pokemon moving--not just doing attack back and forth. The anime and the video games makes it look the pokemon are standing face to face all the time and slinging attacks back in forth on a linear field. That's not the case. You need to have them alive as though they are fighting for their lives. The pokemon should have the ability to know when to dodge and the trainer shouldn't spew out ever single attack (well in dialogue).

Pokemon can do more than just attacks so remember that. They can jump, dodge, catch, etc. Make it realistic like you are watching a movie.

I hope that this helped. :D

Thanks it did help. I've already gotten it down a little. For example, shadow ball isn't a one shot, it can be controlled after launched. Still thanks for the info!

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
Years
Thanks it did help. I've already gotten it down a little. For example, shadow ball isn't a one shot, it can be controlled after launched. Still thanks for the info!

No problem any time. It's one of the few areas I think I thought I should share with not just you but everyone that has trouble with battles. :D

Back