• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Norse Mythology

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
It's a huge article so I'm just leaving this here.

In all actuality it makes perfect sense, since the game is heavily hinted to be based in Europe. I love the idea of using Norse mythology in Pokemon, so I'm super eager to see how they implement the enemy team and cities into this.

This seems really legit, so I'm going with it.

Years
Well, it's a good argument. Not perfect, I don't think, but good.

They assume that because it's Pokemon X and Y that it has an Yggdrasil connection just because it's one word that starts with Y and then bases everything on this guess. To be fair, there are an eagle and stag in the mythology, and a serpent which could easily become the 3rd game mascot, but what about the squirrel Ratatoskr? Is that going to be our Celebi/Jirachi/Victini/etc. legendary? And what of all the other animals that supposed hand out in and around Yggdrasil? And creatures/characters from Norse mythology in general? I mean, they could just be overlooked and that would be okay, but, you know, it's a small problem with the theory.

As for the tree in the vine-swinging shot, okay, very easily an Yggdrasil stand in or symbolic representative, but we've seen giant trees in Pokemon before, a la White Forest.

And how does Norse mythology fit in with the suggestion that there's a genetics/DNA/etc. theme in these games?

Just throwing that out there. I think it's a fair guess, but I'm not convinced yet.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I think Yggdrasil starting with Y is coincidental, I don't see the author mentioning it* :p Ratatoskr could easily be the pixie of the generation although it's too early to speculate on that. The other animals could also be the base of inspiration for some of the other Gen VI Pokemon TBA.

*The author makes the point that Yveltal represents the blind eagle who sits atop the tree, Xerneas is a compilation of the four stags along the horizon or ground, and the third mascot would be underground, sort of. Representing Asgard and Midgard, with the third mascot representing the serpent-like dragon (who could easily represent a Z) the third world, Hel.

It doesn't fit into genetics/DNA/etc. which means it could be one or the other, or GF could somehow implement both which would be rather interesting imo. They seem to like to balance myth and science though, which they could end up doing.

loucas

100% hot
Years

It doesn't fit into genetics/DNA/etc. which means it could be one or the other, or GF could somehow implement both which would be rather interesting imo. They seem to like to balance myth and science though, which they could end up doing.

this.makes.absolute.sense.to.me

there's really no point of argue between DNA and Norse Myth as they can be implemented perfectly. the creatures maybe yes, based on the myth, but the story as a whole of a generation could be anything, or DNA in this case.

most legendary pokemons are based on mythical creatures, but the story doesn't revolves around the myth itself most of the times.

Guy

just a guy
Years
It's hard to argue the DNA / genetics theory due to the double helix clearly visible in the Japanese logo. However, for the legendaries to be based around Norse Mythology isn't out of the question. It's as loucas said, the storyline doesn't have to reflect the origins of the mascots, and in most cases, the mascots can usually hark back to multiple real world sources and myths.

Manganum

Your local sine wave
Years
It's hard to argue the DNA / genetics theory due to the double helix clearly visible in the Japanese logo.
"Evolution" has always been one of Pokemon's main selling points. The entire game revolves around evolving your Pokemon to make them stronger. It's no surprise that the Japanese logo happens to have a double helix hidden in it - if it was as big a deal as people are making out, the X and Y would have had some visual reference to DNA rather than the "Pocket Monsters" bit (since the yellow and blue English logo is too recognizable for Nintendo to want to change - if genetics were such an important part of X and Y they would make it clear across ALL locations).

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I hope they are based on Norse myth. I want a serpent legend Pokemon like Ray and Gira.

Also if they wanted to they could tie the world tree into genetics like the three of life where Mew came from. Or it could be sublimal like it representing a family tree which represents genes in well a family line.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
"Evolution" has always been one of Pokemon's main selling points. The entire game revolves around evolving your Pokemon to make them stronger. It's no surprise that the Japanese logo happens to have a double helix hidden in it - if it was as big a deal as people are making out, the X and Y would have had some visual reference to DNA rather than the "Pocket Monsters" bit (since the yellow and blue English logo is too recognizable for Nintendo to want to change - if genetics were such an important part of X and Y they would make it clear across ALL locations).

We also don't have official box art yet which could contain the double helix in the background. The Japanese one had a spot in the Kanji to place it as part of the word. We just have to wait, but they seem to be focusing on the DNA representation.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It very much seems like Nintendo is using the Norse Mythology as part of the main story in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y (and Pokémon Z). It would be really interesting to see what the Z Legendary Pokémon would look like, but I'm assuming it's going to appear quite similar to the one in the Norse Mythology.

A Bird, a deer (of the 4 deers) and a dragon-like snake. Now those would be wonderful for a story in Pokémon X and Y, I would really like to see what the evil team's plot would be in the story, but I do assume they'd use those legendary Pokémon to take control of the world.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The squirrel can be W shaped if my theory of Pokémon W and Z for sequels/third version is true. W and Z are the sex chromosomes in birds, and some fishes, snakes (Serpent?) and other animals (they should've used the squirrel for Y and the Bird for W...unless they're doing some yin yang there lol).

Years
Also if they wanted to they could tie the world tree into genetics like the three of life where Mew came from. Or it could be sublimal like it representing a family tree which represents genes in well a family line.
Oh! That makes so much sense. So many parts of evolution and biology are represented by trees.

And if the Norse stag is meant to stand in for, possibly, four other deer, then could that mean some kind of cross-generation connection between Xerneas and Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, and Keldeo? Something like Ho-oh and the legendary birds?

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
It makes sense that the legendaries could be based on Norse myth, as Pokémon has been using mythology from around the world for years to make their mythological Pokémon. Shinto gods were the basis for some of the Generation II legendaries and biblical/Hebrew mythology served as the basis for the creations of Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza, which are based on the Behemoth, Leviathan, and Ziz respectively.

Going on that logic, therefore, Pokémon could be around for a VERY long time to come as each generation could simply draw from the world's mythologies and legends to make new regions and new legendaries.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
The Yggdrasil theory

Take a look at this:http://www.kimikogaming.net/pokemon...nts-towards-pokemon-z-and-a-legendary-dragon/
Do you like this theory about the legendaries?
As for me....I FRIGGIN LOVE IT!It is the pokemon reincarnation of my favorite mythology the norse mythology.
It makes sense doesnt it?After all pokemon x and y are situated in europe so why not a norse mythology theme?If that is true i better start saving for a 3ds since i always complained because there arent not many games inspired from norse mythology which is an excellent concept and now my favorite mythologie and pokemon together?Thats a reason to be excited about.

Years
  • Seen Jan 17, 2013
Yes it is and with my Scandanavian ancesters we will haunt your soul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding good subject though

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
Years
Oh! That makes so much sense. So many parts of evolution and biology are represented by trees.

And if the Norse stag is meant to stand in for, possibly, four other deer, then could that mean some kind of cross-generation connection between Xerneas and Cobalion, Virizion, Terrakion, and Keldeo? Something like Ho-oh and the legendary birds?

So could we be dealing with the parents of all land and all flying Pokemon?

Years
I think a hint to the third legend or game title is in the art of the starters.
See we have three starters as usual
3 games as usual most likely ( exclude gen5)
Chespins still stance shows his head gear making an x
Fennekins still stance shows its whole body shaping a y
Froakie however neither has x or y representation in his art work
Which strikes me as odd because the others do ( purposely done or not someone had to notice it)
So if there is another letter from norse mythology and this theory is correct
I think we can look at froakie and find maybe a W or an M shape
Who knows we might even get a fire/grass/ water legendary triangle and that would point to the starters also representing the game titles in aspect of their artwork

Back