• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Choose Wisely!~ [The Starter Pokemon Fan Club]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nottingham

We are on the cruise!
Years
Username: Harry the Platypus
Your Starter Pokemon: Bulbasaur!
Nickname: Call me whatever you please so long as it can't be construed into an innuendo.

Bulbasaur's just a boss. I liked Ash's a lot and it was always fun for me using him in the older games and LeafGreen. It's also my 2nd favorite Pokémon after Sceptile.

Who's the toughest...I'd say either Emboar, Feraligatr, Blaziken, and Venusaur look the toughest. They all seem like that bruiser in the bar next to you that you don't want to accidentally play footsies with.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Welcome, welcome to those who joined over the weekend! I'll add each and everyone of you asap. :D For the moment, let's start a brand new topic since we're starting a brand new week! Yes? :)

Also, thank you Ollibby for fixing the sprites. I wasn't aware of how many of them were messed up.

Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon? If you haven't obtained one, does it matter if you have a shiny starter? Why or why not?

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
No problem! It was only like two sprites, so no biggie at all :)

Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon? If you haven't obtained one, does it matter if you have a shiny starter? Why or why not?

I've never even caught a shiny before, so no shiny starters for me, sadly. But either way, whether the starter was shiny or not wouldn't really matter much to me. Of course it'd be cool to run around with a shiny Bulbasaur, but I usually end up getting rid of my starter at some point or another, unless it turns out to be one of the better Pokemon on my team, and it'd be much more convenient if the Pokemon was one I'd want to keep on my team permanently (at least untill I decide to start over, in which case, I'd probably get it traded over to someone for them to take care of it. So yeah, I wouldn't at any point go through with soft-resetting untill I got a shiny starter because I'd really rather want another Pokemon as a shiny, but if I one day get lucky and get a shiny starter, I'd by no means get rid of it :p

Years
Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon?

Nope, I've never tried resetting 8000 times to get a shiny starter. I do feel bad for people who do that though. :( If I ever needed one I'd probably use action replay

Years

Not myself, no... ;_; I just never had the patience to soft reset for a shiny starter, but I did get some shiny starters from an amazing PC member over a year ago. Absolutely would adore more shiny Squirtle, though! They're beautiful!

PichuRules4ever

The TF2 Pyro
Years

No, I have never obtained a shiny starter. I just never felt like resetting repeatedly. I would probably just ask my friend to breed me a shiny starter because he is a Pokemon breeder (I can get pretty much any Pokemon from him :3). Having a shiny Pichu would be awesome. :t172:

shiny-pichu1.png

PS: I love how you put my name as "PichuRules4Eva" on the members list.

Years

Sadly I haven't. I have obtained a few shinies but none were starters. However I don't care much about shinies anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Username: Classic Sonic
Your Starter Pokemon: Espeon
Nickname: Esperante

I just love Espeon. While a lot of that comes from its looks and it being an Eeveelution, it's also good in battle. Having a good offensive typing, it can also be used well in competitive battling. Also, it's just adorable..the purple fur, the eyes, it's twin tipped tail...

Now, Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon?
I have. On an emulator though, so that made me sad. It was a shiny Totodile, and its nickname was Chomp. What else was I got it as soon as I started the game , so I was EXTREMELY excited ^_^

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Username: Wind Heart
Your Starter Pokemon: Glaceon. I chose Glaceon because I like the colors, which is blue, and it's strong too.
Nickname: Silky Wind

I haven't got one as of now, but I don't mind about it though.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Oct 4, 2013
Username: Pichu00
Your Starter Pokemon: Pichu
Nickname:Thundra
I spent forever trying to get a shiny chikorita, but I eventually settled on a girl.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Welcome to new members that just joined! It's amazing to see new faces here! :3

@ PichuRules Haha, i must have missed an extra letter lmao

On topic, I never *started* off with a shiny starter pokemon, but i do have a shiny Treecko (now a sceptile) gifted by a PC member. Never ever ever restarting my White game for that! I do wish to start off with a shiny Chikorita though, I want a shiny meganium so badly! But like Ollibby mentioned, it doesn't really matter if its shiny or not, its just a pokemon and i love every starter as is :)

Olli

Years
i soft reset for shiny charmander for about 2 weeks until i got it. He's now level 100 Charizard and i will never delete him as long as i live.

I spent forever trying to get a shiny chikorita, but I eventually settled on a girl.
Oh man, the amount of patience >_< I could never bring myself to spend hours trying to get a shiny, when there's only a 1/8197 chance that it'll be one, neither with starters nor legendaries. If it meant I'd get it in 1 out of 8197 resets, then maybe, just maybe, I'd set it as a goal and just hope, but nope! It's not that simple :( My longest reset streak so far is probably like 10 :D Also, welcome to the club, Pichu02!

Username: Classic Sonic
Now, Have you ever obtained a *shiny* starter pokemon?
I have. On an emulator though, so that made me sad. It was a shiny Totodile, and its nickname was Chomp. What else was I got it as soon as I started the game , so I was EXTREMELY excited ^_^
Welcome to the club! That sucks :( I've actually heard a story like this before. I believe I read somewhere in the Emulation section once, where a member asked if it was normal for the starters in the hack to be shiny, which turned out it wasn't :p But yah, I guess the luck that it was an instant shiny kinda evens out how it was on an emulator.. or maybe that just makes it worse? xD

Years

Sadly I haven't. I have obtained a few shinies but none were starters. However I don't care much about shinies anyway so it doesn't bother me.

you might think now that you aren't worried about shinies but trust me, when you get a shiny of you favourite starter you will treasure it forever :) i know i do

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Username: ♪Twiggy♪
Your Starter Pokemon: ...

I've noticed that Axew and co are missing in the fifth gen starter list. Spin-offs are included, and yet...

As for shiny starter Pokémon, well... I think I must have never had one. I don't have any, you see, at least direct from my own games. Not that I'd like any one of them in shiny colours!

Treetwig

Banned for being awesome
Years
Username: Treetwig
Your Starter Pokemon:Munchlax
Nickname:Machytaby

Have you ever obtained *shiny* starter pokemon?
Yeah!Ive got a shiny torchic without doing soft resets at first i think its just a glitch because im a newbie when i saw the shiny torchic then I ask my friend if my game glitched then he said that my starter is shiny

Last edited:

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Gonna go ahead and drop this new topic here! I absolutely love everyone's answers! Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?

Username: ♪Twiggy♪
Your Starter Pokemon: ...

I've noticed that Axew and co are missing in the fifth gen starter list. Spin-offs are included, and yet...

As for shiny starter Pokémon, well... I think I must have never had one. I don't have any, you see, at least direct from my own games. Not that I'd like any one of them in shiny colours!

Thanks for letting me know. I'll allow you to choose Axew as your starter Pokemon. Welcome, btw!

Username: Treetwig
Your Starter Pokemon:Munchlax
Nickname:Machytaby

Have you ever obtained *shiny* starter pokemon?
Yeah!Ive got a shiny torchic without doing soft resets at first i think its just a glitch because im a newbie when i saw the shiny torchic then I ask my friend if my game glitched then he said that my starter is shiny

That's how I reacted at first when I first discovered shiny starters. I was like "are you sure that's the right color...?" xD

Welcome to the club!

Olli

Years
Lots of new members :O

Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?

I wouldn't really care how much it'd impact the game as a starter Pokemon, just as long as Pidgey'd be available :D But seriously, having first stage evolution Flying types as the starters would be amazing, although they obviously wouldn't make the best of starters. There's a clear line in how powerful the various Flying types are, so I think it might end up being very unbalanced if the starters were switched with Flying types. But that wasn't the question!

I definitely would choose a Flying type as my starter, not as much because they're very strong and helpful Pokemon, because frankly, they aren't. Their main use is Fly and beating up Fighting type Pokemon, and while some of them, like Staraptor, are pretty decent Pokemon, they usually don't serve as much of an asset to your team in a battling perspective, so I think they'd make the first part of the journey significantly harder, depending on which Pokemon inhabited the first areas of the game. So not really the ideal starters. Now, the only reason I'd choose one as a starter is simply this; it's my favourite typing, one specific Flying type shining above all else (Flying types and all other Pokemon included :p), which I don't think I need to mention. I'd live with the increased difficulty, as long as I got to have PIdgey as the Pokemon I start off my journey with ;)

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Haha, I know right! It's amazing and I am grateful for that :3

Anyways, like Ollibby, I've been looking forward to a flying unevolved starter all my life. A Pokemon where I can start my journey with by simply flying instead of having to walk ALL THE WAY to the first town ahead. With a starter like that, I'd totally be stoked, and it'll make my journey a whole lot easier!

If Pidgey would be a starter, I'd catch it and use it as if I was given it as a starter. :P

Years
Hypothetically, would you like to start your Pokemon journey with an unevolved flying-type starter pokemon? Do you think this'll make your journey a lot easier or harder?

I would absolutely love this! Honestly, I've always wanted to move away from the whole "fire water grass" circle of starters that we've been getting in the main series games since day one, and a flying type would probably be my first choice. Even though they're somewhat hard to use at first (especially the normal/flying birds available early into the games) they're still adorable and are growing to be one of my favorite types.

Not expecting it to be an easy ride since flying types are pretty hard to use towards the beginning, but that's something I'm willing to fight through. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back