• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Is there a way to tell how the various stats of a given Pokemon will look at any given level for generations that don't have the 'Nature' quality?

Example:

In my Red game, I caught a level 4 Kakuna (gotta love those 'catch it before it should exist' encounters!) and I'm planning to level it to 99 and then let it evolve to Beedrill at 100 so I have a slower but higher defense version of it.

However, at level 64 with it right now and it's really starting to take its toll on me and I have trouble judging whether or not it will have a significant enough change in stat allocation to make it worth continuing.

So, again, any way to punch in what a Pokemon will look like, statwise, when there aren't things like their nature to worry about (since again, this is Gen 1 for my example)?

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Is there a way to tell how the various stats of a given Pokemon will look at any given level for generations that don't have the 'Nature' quality?

Example:

In my Red game, I caught a level 4 Kakuna (gotta love those 'catch it before it should exist' encounters!) and I'm planning to level it to 99 and then let it evolve to Beedrill at 100 so I have a slower but higher defense version of it.

However, at level 64 with it right now and it's really starting to take its toll on me and I have trouble judging whether or not it will have a significant enough change in stat allocation to make it worth continuing.

So, again, any way to punch in what a Pokemon will look like, statwise, when there aren't things like their nature to worry about (since again, this is Gen 1 for my example)?

There really isn't any way to know, as I'm assuming you haven't recorded what Pokémon you have defeated with Kakuna. Also evolving Kakuna into Beedrill at lv100 compared to lv10 will make no difference to stats in the long run if you defeat the same Pokémon. Kakuna's defence will drop when it evolves into Beedrill.

Years
There really isn't any way to know, as I'm assuming you haven't recorded what Pokémon you have defeated with Kakuna. Also evolving Kakuna into Beedrill at lv100 compared to lv10 will make no difference to stats in the long run if you defeat the same Pokémon. Kakuna's defence will drop when it evolves into Beedrill.

Ack. Darn.

I've been *mostly* repeating the Elite Four and not even swapping out at every single new Pokemon sent out since I'm also leveling a couple of others on my team (Fearow and Mew, yay for Nugget Bridge prompt/glitch thing).

I only have Red and Silver so my knowledge is pretty limited in how everything works since I play these in bursts, not actively. Actually, have to restart Silver, now that I think about it since it's been so long and my previous game save no longer exists...gah! So many ideas and cross-referencing for future endevours running through my head and I have no clue if anything will work now.

Either way, thank you for the information. It certainly put a damper on my plans so I guess for kicks and giggles I'll just level Kakuna up to 100 with no evolution to Beedrill.

Since I've gotten THIS far with it, if its defense will just convert down if I evolve it, may as well be able to say I grinded out one of the worst things possible in this particular version. I wonder if it's even worse than leveling a Magikarp to 100 due to what I would at least presume to be more experience required.

Huh. Food for thought. Any-gosh-darn-whoo...again, thank you for the reply. =)

Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
Has anyone seen this?

Hello I'm new here and I have this little question. Has anyone seen this Pokemnon catridge before? I think it's not official but it works just as the official one. I also read somewhere that it was something like a pirate Vietnamesse version but no it's actually fully on english and everything is 0k. What are your thoughts?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's definitely a fake or a bootleg. It's not the real Crystal Version. If it's in English, it's probably a bootleg. And if you have the Vietnamese bootleg, you're in for a treat...it's fully English, but translated so badly that it's hilarious. Have fun if that's the case...totally jealous if it is lol.

If it's comprehendible English though (boo!), it's just some run of the mill bootleg. idk what to tell you really. If you don't like having these, I suggest not buying them online and instead buying used old games from a local gaming store, like Replays if you have any wherever you are.

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
I'm playing Crystal Version, and have some questions which i can't seem to find anywhere on the net.

Does Max Repel repels all the pokemons whose lvl is below the lead pokemon in your party?

How can i catch Raikou, the last Legendary dogs left, when it always fled before i could use any abilities? I had already used Masterball for Entei.

Will Lugia and Ho-oh flee like Raikou? What's their lvl? Is there a map of the cave where Lugia reside in so i can find my way inside?

Can i enter the Safari Zone in Fuschia? If i can, what do i have to do so i can enter?

Your replies are much appreciated.

Years
Lugia and Ho-Oh don't flee.

To prevent Raikou from fleeing, use Mean Look or Spider Web on it.

And the only way to enter the Kanto Safari Zone is by using a cheat device, since although there is a warp for it, you can't walk on the tile it's on.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I'm playing Crystal Version, and have some questions which i can't seem to find anywhere on the net.

Does Max Repel repels all the pokemons whose lvl is below the lead pokemon in your party?

How can i catch Raikou, the last Legendary dogs left, when it always fled before i could use any abilities? I had already used Masterball for Entei.

Will Lugia and Ho-oh flee like Raikou? What's their lvl? Is there a map of the cave where Lugia reside in so i can find my way inside?

Can i enter the Safari Zone in Fuschia? If i can, what do i have to do so i can enter?

Your replies are much appreciated.

Repels prevent Pokémon at a lower level than your lead Pokémon from appearing.

Common Pokémon used to trap the Legendary beasts are Crobat and Gengar because they're fast and learn Mean Look.

They won't flee and are at lv60.

No you cannot enter the Safari Zone through normal gameplay.

It's a bit rough but here's a map of Whirl Islands:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for all the informations and stuffs! I have no idea what the map was about but it would provide a rough idea of how i should walk, thanks alot.

MattyJ

Serial Procrastinator
Years
Hey all, its been awhile since i've played R/B/Y and I decided to start playing them again, now I remember I was to take all my time to leveling each pokemon i got to a certain lvl so i could have them all even in level, but now i'm playing again, and wondering, at the beginning should I just lvl up certain pokemon until i reach a certain point then just lvl up the rest later on if and when i need certain others?

I've always tried to level up my Pokemon pretty evenly, but mostly have just gone about it 'naturally', without too much grinding. For example, using one or two key Pokemon in a gym, they get stronger, so then at the start of the next area (or if I catch a new Pokemon), I set them at the front of my party, and switch out at the start of all battles until they are ready to start competing with the level of trainers/wild Pokemon around.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
Heylo.

I randomly started a new game on my crystal cartridge TWO DAYS ago and when I started it just now at 10 til 3pm PST it's night in the game. Apparently only 4 hours have passed on my poke-watch since I begun the game.

It makes sense that this would have something to do with how old this cartridge is, it's VERY old. Is there by chance still something that can be done?

(BTW how does it take me two days to realize this problem you must be wondering? This happens to be the first time since starting this file it that I turned the game on in the day).

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
The game's clock acting up is the first sign that the battery in your cart is running out of juice. Pretty soon your file will be gone and you won't be able to save anymore.

Besides opening the cart and replacing the battery, there's not much you can do.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I got my Crystal's battery replaced the other day and time only advances when the game is on.

Are you sure it was Crystal? I observed this behavior in GBA games, where save files are written in flash memory and the battery only serves to run the internal clock. But GB/GBC games use batteries to save the game too, instead of using flash memory, they use RAM, which is constantly kept powered on by the internal batteries, the same batteries that, in GSC also run the internal clock.

...and while typing this I realized how this could be possible in Crystal. There is a small piece on the left side of the cart's circuit, I forgot what it's called, but it basically acts like a metronome, counting seconds while the game is not being played, and the cart uses it for its internal clock. It might have been damaged while replacing the battery.

I replaced the internal batteries in all Gen 1,2 and 3 carts using this procedure: http://victoryroad.net/showthread.php?t=2044 . They are in perfect working condition now, with the internal clock running as it should. I obviously had to start my Gen 1 and 2 save files over though.

Lucifer

Fallen1
Years
The game's clock acting up is the first sign that the battery in your cart is running out of juice. Pretty soon your file will be gone and you won't be able to save anymore.

Besides opening the cart and replacing the battery, there's not much you can do.

Awww crud. I'll lose my Shiny gastly. :(

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
Unless you can trade it to another game before replacing the battery, sadly yes :/ .

I've heard some people managed to keep their save files by replacing the battery while the game was in a powered up Gameboy, but if it's your first time changing the battery, it won't be as easy, because the original battery is soldered in four tiny spots. I used a cutter to extract the batteries from my GB/GBC carts, and Crystal's battery was the hardest to extract. Plus, you know, electricity can be dangerous.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
Is there any disadvantages to doing the Mew glitch in pokemon blue? (in other words, any complications?)

Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Sep 11, 2017
Breeding for a Shiny

Anyone ever tried it with results? I have been searching everywhere for a tried and true method to breed a shiny pokemon, because of the way gen ii's IVs are set up. Bulbapedia says that there can be up to 1/64 chance to get a shiny baby pokemon if one parent is shiny and the baby is the opposite gender of the shiny parent. I don't know enough about breeding IVs, but I really want to try to breed some shiny pokemon if possible. Has anyone found a good way to do this?

Years
You can get yourself a shiny Ditto with the Shiny Ditto trick. For this, you will need a shiny Gyarados with the move "Mimic" (all other moves should/must be forgotten to make it easier, trade Gyarados to R/B/Y in order to teach it Mimic via TM 31). Now, that you have a Shiny Gyarados with mimic, you can look for a Ditto in the grass to the right of Fuchsia City (Note: it is important that Gyarados is faster than Ditto, which is usually the case). Use Mimic, and you will learn Transform. When Ditto Transforms, it will turn into a Gyarados, and now wait until Ditto uses Transform again. Now catch it (afaik, only a master ball works now). And there you go: You have caught a shiny Ditto if you followed these steps. Now trade it back to G/S/C and put it in the daycare. The chance of getting a shiny egg is now 1:64 (the normal rate being 1:8000 or sth. like this). I've gotten quite a few shinies that way, it still takes some time though. I use the Dodrio Gameboy of Stadium to breed eggs so it goes way faster. :p

Greetings,
pallando

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back