• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen Wild double, triple and rotational battles?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Okay so while there's a thread speculating on a new battle style, and there's a thread speculating on the ways Pokemon will physically be encountered and encounter rates, there's nothing covering whether this will return.

In Black and White we could participate in wild double battle grass! However, given that B/W introduced two new battle styles - triples, and rotationals, it comes to mind as to whether there will be grass for these styles, too. Would you like to see double battle grass make a return? If so, would you rather it be more spread out, or less than it was in Unova? And would you like to see the other two battle styles have their own specific grass patches? Would this be going too far and ruining how you find wild Pokemon (and should it thus be reserved for only facing other trainers) - or should they stick at just doubles? Discuss!

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
I highly doubt we will see rotational wild battles. It just seems like something pokemon can only do with trainers.

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
It would be interesting to see a triple wild Pokémon battle in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y, especially how triple battles were introduced in Generation V.

Surely, triple wild Pokémon battles would have to have a certain grass patch style, or it could fit with the same darker coloured ones as in Black/White, wouldn't it be interesting to see those patches of grass show either double or triple wild battles, eh? xD

But as for rotational wild battles, I think it more fits for trainers more than wild Pokémon. ;)

Fureon

Psychic
Years
Naw, that's too crazy.
I have no idea what you would have to do to have three monsters attack you at once. They'd have to be really angry at you to do that! Maybe this could work in those outbreaks (swarms) though.

blue

gucci
Years
It's something that they could expand upon the Rotation Battle feature but I'm not sure if I'd be a fan of it. It would make it much more tedious to catch certain Pokemon in certain areas.

Years
I don't know if this will even happen, wild Double battles were enough thank you. Wild Triple battles would be too much for me to handle, especially if trying to catch a certain Pokemon.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Double and triple battles in the wild, I can see. But rotation battles? No not really, it wouldn't make any sense. I think it's only something a trainer can do and if Pokemon can do it, it would be too complex and make catching Pokemon to difficult and tedious.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Triple? Nah. There would have to be a special circumstance to have that.

I wouldn't mind the dark grass returning. I don't know if I like the double battle aspect of it, but I DO like that stronger Pokémon can generally be found there. The double battle bit is an inconvenience as you can't throw a ball with two Pokémon on-screen.

Cyclone

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I personally think wild double battles is enough. Wild triple battles are too much for me, especially when focusing on catching one of three wild Pokemon. And I don't think that wild Rotational battles might happen.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Triple sure, but rotation's a bit out there. As stated, its more trainer made then natural.

Guy

just a guy
Years
I liked the introduction of wild double battles, but to extend it to triple battles might be pushing it a bit. Especially for those who might find it too tedious should they want to catch one of the three Pokémon they run into. I will say this though, it'd make for a great way to gain some Exp. Points fast.

Rotational Battles on the other hand, I just don't see working the same for wild encounters as numerous people have already said. That's more for trainer battles than it is for wild Pokémon battles.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I think we will see the return of wild double battles and quite possibly the introduction of wild triple battles, but I don't think we will see any type of wild rotation battles. I just don't think wild rotation battles would really make sense. After all, wild Pokémon don't tell each other what moves to use. They are wild. I think we will only see trainer rotation battles, as trainers are really the only ones who can issue commands for Pokémon to follow. In my opinion, though, I didn't really like any of the double battles/rotation battles at all. I'd rather just single battle Pokémon and trainers alike, but I do think these types of battles will make a return in X & Y.

Years
If they can make wild rotation battles not seem forced and gimmicky then I'd like to see them. I could see there being one area with particular kinds of Pokemon that would theoretically work together. Wolves hunt in packs. Insects swarm. If that's the thinking behind it I could see it happening, but I wouldn't want to see a lot of it.

As for wild triple battles, I would hope they are few and far between. That could be pretty awful if you're caught unprepared.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
i would love for some more rotation battles but as jov0006 said, pokemon probably can't work together like that. but i also thought that about double battles. maybe it could just happen on a few occasions? like a pokemon with 3 evolutions will have all 3 stages working together when you stumble upon their nest. or a male fully evolved and female fully evolved along with their baby who hasn't evolved yet.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'd love wild double battles to return, but I don't think triple and rotation should be wild encounter styles. Triple I could see maybe, but rotation definitely not, since that seems more like a trainer type of thing. The whole rotating your Pokemon strategy, I mean. It doesn't seem like something wild Pokemon would do.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Rotational wild battles would be weird, it's a battle style I associate only with trainers.

I could see wild triple battles though.

Although I hope they change it so you can catch a pokemon in the middle of the battle and then continue the fight against the other pokemon or run away.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Yeah, it would be cool a triple battle in the wild. I don't know if wild rotation battles are possible tho...:/

SoulSilver10112

George the Poliwag
Years
  • Seen Jun 30, 2013
Wild rotation battles could be really difficult, as one wouldn't know which one they'd attack. If a wild shiny appeared, you'd need to knock out the other two, but they could switch in a way that the shiny may be hit. How irritating would that be? Wild triple battles, on the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing.

CourageHound

Trust & Courage. Nothing More
Years
I actually think rotation and triple battles in the wild are completely viable. Think about wild packs oof wolves, lions, etc. in a hunting formation. That what I think wild triple and rotation battles would be like.

Back