• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen An Altered Type Chart

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
You could always you know, hit Sableye or Spiritomb with a powerful stab and kill them that way. Plus both rock Will-o-Wisp making most Bug attackers useless, aside from Heracross & Volcarona. Type neutrality is not a weakness, especially to a type of Pokemon very weak to status & stall.

Not really a big deal, and not the first time they've altered Bug's type effectiveness.

It becomes a weakness because the x1/2 against Ghost used to balance out the x2 against Dark.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Just a random thought to add in, I know its most likely a typo, I'm just hoping its really a change, though I did want to say, we have not been given confirmation that B2W2 can "Battle" with B/W. We can Trade, but as of yet they haven't confirmed battles.

Its not an attempt against the naysay, just pointing out that we don't even know if B2W2 can battle with B/W. We just know that we can trade.

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
Years
Yep hypnosis and it's accuracy change shows it wouldn't cause issues as bad as people think it would.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
I think an update in the Type Effect Chart would be healthy for the game. Instead of adding 100 more pokemon, change the stats of bad pokemon to make them on-par, ie average, and change the type chart for more balance.

Rock/Ground Type has high defense, logically they are suposed to be played defensively. However, with a x4 weakness to Grass and Water these "defensive" pokemon get one-hit-KOed. (not to mention Grass and Water can easily hit Rock/Ground on the special side giving them a x16 weakness.)

Point being, the type chart changing in the future isn't something to be afraid of.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
I'm guessing the "type effectiveness alteration" earlier is a typo, especially since it would be weird to change the type chart in the middle of a Generation. If such a thing were to occur, I would expect it whenever the next non-Generation 5 Pokemon games are released...

Also, I didn't know that the Pokemon guides had so many errors as the prior posts are indicating... XD (then again, I've only used a friend's Ruby/Sapphire Version guide years ago, and I only looked at part of it...) Reminds me of the mistakes present in the Golden Sun/Golden Sun: The Lost Age guide by Prima. XD

If anything, Poison would be the one getting a buff. Being Super Effective to Water or something.

I mean, they have changed the type chart before, with the transition to GSC (Poison being nerfed and the addition to Steel and Dark). Maybe they thought that Ghost was too powerful or Bug was too weak? Though, this does make stuff like VoltTurn much more difficult to stop (Golurk being a Pokemon that can't resist the combo anymore).

Yeah; it's been bugging me for a long time that the Poison-type isn't super-effective against the Water type. XD I'm also bugged by the Steel type strangely not resisting Water-type moves (although the Steel type has enough resistances already, so making Water>Steel isn't really necessary IMO).

Yeah um, my question is who even picks up on this stuff, lool. Like seriously you'd have to be just looking for a mistake here which would get kinda boring.

:cer_laugh:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Only way we'll truly find out is if Matsuda says it is during an Interview, answers a question on Twitter about it, games come out to prove/disprove it.

I'm still hopin that its a real change. I didn't know that the system calculates all the Resistances, weaknesses, and accuracy/Power changes based on what the hosting game was, and with that bit of new knowledge I can't really think of a reason to completely rule out the change now.

Aquarius1997

The Horoscopical Master
Years
Yeaaah most likely a typo for two reasons

1) they wouldnt change a type chart that has the pontential to battle with a previous game too many problems

2) i have proff that guidebooks can be misleading. I have three guide in possesion 2 pokemon 1 zelda they constantly had mistakes so i just started using internet guides

Years
I feel it to be a typo. These type weaknesses, resistances, and immunities have been in place for the longest of times. I am not opposed to such a change, it's more or less the timing. If B2W2 were a new generation I would be 100% accepting of this.

PaxAmericana

Resident Peacekeeper
Years
Just now, I sent a tweet to Junichi Masuda asking him the question. Hopefully he'll answer.

It could go either way. It could be a typo, or it could be true.

I personally want it to be true, because of the trolls with Wondertombs, and it returns more balance to the types.

Years
It'd be pretty cool if it were true, seeing as it would take away the 'vulnerable to nothing' factor of Spiritomb and Sabeleye (as so many have already have mentioned).

However, as also mentioned in the last post on the previous page, this would cause a compatibility issue between BW and B2W2. And I'm fairly sure I read somewhere it'd be possible to battle/trade from B2W2 back to BW. (If someone can steer me straight on this, that'd be great). So with this in mind, I'mma take this as a typo, because I'm kinda hopeful we can battle/trade between them :3

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
It'd be pretty cool if it were true, seeing as it would take away the 'vulnerable to nothing' factor of Spiritomb and Sabeleye (as so many have already have mentioned).

However, as also mentioned in the last post on the previous page, this would cause a compatibility issue between BW and B2W2. And I'm fairly sure I read somewhere it'd be possible to battle/trade from B2W2 back to BW. (If someone can steer me straight on this, that'd be great). So with this in mind, I'mma take this as a typo, because I'm kinda hopeful we can battle/trade between them :3

I agree. It'd finally be nice to see those two weak to something. But again, that would cause a serious issue with battling Black and White players (which yes, you are able to trade with!). I have no doubt in my mind that it's a typo. I've had a guidebook that showed a Wigglytuff to have the same stats as a Zapdos, so yeah.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

I agree. It'd finally be nice to see those two weak to something. But again, that would cause a serious issue with battling Black and White players (which yes, you are able to trade with!). I have no doubt in my mind that it's a typo. I've had a guidebook that showed a Wigglytuff to have the same stats as a Zapdos, so yeah.

As far as I've seen there is no actual confirmation of being able to battle between B2W2 and BW but you can definately trade. (You'd assume that battle would be possible as well since they aren't pulling the time capsule thing from G/S) As for compatibility, no it wouldn't effect the compatibility unless a new Type was added that wasn't in the previous game, new attacks were added, or a new ability was added cause then the previous game wouldn't be able to read that data.

Hiroshi had explained how battle between two games that made small changes within the same Generation plays out.

Last I heard, the host game dictates the battle rules. If [move x] has a different effect between games and the group leader has Black 2, then Black 2's version of [move x] would prevail over Black's version of [move x].

Just ask the accuracy-changing Hypnosis.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I guess it could play out like Hypnosis in gen IV did. It's still kind of strange, move accuracy are one thing but type weaknesses changing seems out of the ordinary imo. They should've made this change at the start of the generation, though I guess better late than never.

Years
I wonder if true... that this so said 'difficulty key thingy' will enable a sort of battle change result. If so, be hilarious if one of them turned to a RBY throwback. *cough*amnesiakingler*cough*

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
It was proably a typo after all as we proably would've gotten confirmation on this by now...

I don't think anyone bothered to test it yet. The guy that gave us majority of our information plowed through the game with his WiFi Event Mewtwo. We'd have to wait for someone to actually test it against someone like the Ghost type E4 member.

Back