• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Do you find berries really important/necessary?

Years
Hey guys!

I started playing pokemon again some time ago. I decided to play from old games, to new games once again. I started with Pokemon Red, and now I'm on gold.

Anyway, my question is: Are berries really important/necessary,? I would just like like some replies to know what you think. Me, I would say, they can be necessary, but only at the beginning of your game, the more you advance into the game, they become useless...

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
I feel that in the Metal and Color generations, that it was mainly just used for a cure, but now they're used as stat enhancers/friendship enhancers, pokeblocks, poffins, etc. but back then I think useless unless you couldn't spend a few 200 for a Full Heal xD

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 14, 2021
And I don't really use them then, I just sold it because a young me thought that they were useless.

Years
I don't really use 'em. I have Potions, Hyper Potions, Antidotes, etc. that I find lying around that I use more than the berries. The only time Out might use a berry is when I don't have an antidote and my 'mon got poisoned. I don't grow 'em or even give 'em to my 'mons to hold, there are more useful items that could be held.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
MysteryBerries were the first reacquirable Ether, something I've found very useful with Leppa in future generations.
Berries and Gold Berries are things one may as well give their monsters to hold (as the only things inarguably more worthwhile are Leftovers and Amulet Coin) because they provide free-action healing. I think the problem with berries in the second generation is that there aren't enough trees for them.

I don't grow 'em
One can't grow them in the second generation. They grow automatically, one per day, from each tree.

Last edited:

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
I thought that berries were quite useful, I mean, didn't they work just like the usual status healers? I always used to keep a lot of berries because I thought they were useful in the long run.

Years
The one to heal hp were useless, the one for the status instead could come in handy without you noticing.

Years
The only ones I ever really used were the status-healing berries, and that was just before I could afford Full Restores early on. Even though some berries are much more useful in the current games, I still find myself using them sparingly, usually for the same reason.

Kawaii Pikachu :3

"The Cutiest Pokemon Gamer!"
Years
I use HP berries a lot at the beginning of the game. Especially when I'm trying to lvl new Pokémon I just caught. I normally try to get my starter to lvl 10 before I am able to get pokeballs just because it makes things easier later on. So if I run into another Pokémon I want they are normally in the lvl 2-6 range. So I lvl them to lvl 10 before I move on. Berries save me time from going back and forth from the pokecenter and the grass and also saves me money on potions. It also saves my Pokémon from fainting at times while I am lvling them. But once they get a lvl where their HP is high enough so the berries don't do much then I don't use them. The status ones are nice so you don't have to spend money on antidotes and etc but there is a point where you are rich in the game so spending a few bucks on antidotes and paralyze heals is nothing.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I'd harvest the status-healing ones from the easily-accessible trees as often as I could, but that was it. The HP berries became obsolete later on. It was just easier to spend money on high-end Potions.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Bitter Berries are awesome to use back then, because they are the only berries that can cure confusion and there wasn't an item other than that to cure it. All other berries were useless, because I always relied on items like Antidotes and Awakenings. lol

blue

gucci
Years
I never wen't all out to collect them but now and then I'd pick them up along the way. I don't remember using them in battles, maybe the ones that healed by 10HP but none of the others really.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Yeah, I use them to cure paralyze etc...but I mostly use Oran berry to heal my pkmns when i don't have potions...etc.

Back