• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread - Read Post #1

Years
  • Seen Nov 21, 2011
The random c4d in the first one is kinda strange, and the text doesn't look like it flows that well imo. But the last one looks pretty good in general.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
Years
Here's a entry I made a few weeks ago for a battle.
Spoiler:

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I don't know how much of this you did yourself, but if you created that mostly in Cinema 4D then props to you. The things I immediately pick up on are that the ring is supposed to be under the clouds yet its clearly visible, you need to fix that because it pretty much wrecks the hierarchy going on with the planet there. Also, the light is way too blinding unless that's what you were going for, even so there are some dark spots too close to the blinding light that make it seem out of place, and I think a light that strong definitely needs to take up more of the planet and the surroundings instead of ending so quickly. If you were actually going for realism then the colours themselves are fine, but if you were going for flow then you need to work on the colours matching because they really don't. This is probably because of the fact that the light ends so quickly, however, even with that their should be so much more colour and cloud variety considering its a universal image. The stars in the bottom are also protrude too much and ruin the depth with the light as it appears that the stars are actually on top, just try and dim those out.

Well I haven't made something in aggeessss, too preoccupied doing other stuff. But steins;gate pretty much became one of my favourite animes, and I thought, why not experiment with the surrealism in the anime and try and create that in a tag, so this was a huge experiment, I do think I'll probably tweak the colours a tad more.

steins_gate_by_br4ne-d4hn4qt.png

Winneon

Years
I don't know how much of this you did yourself, but if you created that mostly in Cinema 4D then props to you. The things I immediately pick up on are that the ring is supposed to be under the clouds yet its clearly visible, you need to fix that because it pretty much wrecks the hierarchy going on with the planet there. Also, the light is way too blinding unless that's what you were going for, even so there are some dark spots too close to the blinding light that make it seem out of place, and I think a light that strong definitely needs to take up more of the planet and the surroundings instead of ending so quickly. If you were actually going for realism then the colours themselves are fine, but if you were going for flow then you need to work on the colours matching because they really don't. This is probably because of the fact that the light ends so quickly, however, even with that their should be so much more colour and cloud variety considering its a universal image. The stars in the bottom are also protrude too much and ruin the depth with the light as it appears that the stars are actually on top, just try and dim those out.

Well I haven't made something in aggeessss, too preoccupied doing other stuff. But steins;gate pretty much became one of my favourite animes, and I thought, why not experiment with the surrealism in the anime and try and create that in a tag, so this was a huge experiment, I do think I'll probably tweak the colours a tad more.

steins_gate_by_br4ne-d4hn4qt.png
Your tag looks great! The blur on the upper right-hand corner doesn't look right, and the blur and smudges on the left seem a little over-smudged. You might want to take the smudging down a small notch and the tag will look perfect!

I didn't use Cinema 4D for my supernova image, I used Photoshop CS5.1 only. Everything in the image is from scratch except from a few custom brushes from the internet and a fractal flower stock image I used for the planet's texture. Everything else is exactly from scratch. I'll fix the things you mentioned and then let's see if the image looks better.:) One thing though, I think I pull down the brightness a bit from the origin of the supernova but I think it needs to be bright if the star is exploding. But, I'll pull the brightness down so the explosion isn't flushing out the image.

EDIT: Here's a wallpaper I made customarily for my username!

Spoiler:

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
Years
So, what you actually have in the wallpaper is all pretty good. The stars are much better than your other space pieces which shows improvement, you got good quality effects and shapes. The only problem is, there isn't much originality. If this is the piece you made using a tutorial, then you have used a tutorial wrong. You should use them to get a grasp of techniques and use them in your own way. This piece is way too familiar and lacks personality.

That said, the quality of it all is very good and well pulled off, I just don't feel like you are challenging yourself a little more or really putting your own flair into pieces.

Crazy new one from me.
rockhead-1.png

Renyui!

ascender
Years
The whole grainy/noise effect of the piece is appealing to my love for things oversharpened. Also really digging the whole depth of it, but the head kinda just floating around, being all dismembered and whatnot irks me a little. Not enough to put me off the piece, just a small notice. The colours work well, with the purple flares adding some nice touches.

Yeah so like i did this one thing in that one program and whatever this is happened
sfb-1.png

less.png

I made one less saturated because my eyes. They burn.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
I prefer the one more saturated, it's more vibrant in general. The few things I do pick up on are that the text placement just doesn't look right, it's weird how you have the suchfragile raised out o the box, and then the bonds comes out of the side while also touching the i sort of taking the flow away. It's also not balanced in terms of the letters coming out further on the right then theyre coming in on the left. Also, that little orb above the 's' in suchfragile makes the s look blurred, it would be crisper if that wasn't there. Lastly, I don't like how the swirl is flat, rather then going in front and at the back of the box, which is easily done. Dats my two cents.

This is a large piece I'm working on and reaalllyyy need some feedback <=O

from_another_world_large_piece_by_br4ne-d4m2tdm.png

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
While the composition and style of the piece are rather interesting, there are a lot of omissions and things I would add and change. You need to define an actual focal point, right now the center is rather messy and it's hard to make out anything. The textures you've used have really distracted the focal, and the whole thing does look a little messy. The text should also be a lot closer to it. So at least define your focal point and see where it goes from there.

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
Brane: like the one above me said, your focal is little messy, the text don`t support it or doing something except stealing the spotlight. Someone once told me that if you want to place a text in the right position to this: Grid your project with the rule of thirds[2 horizental lines and 2 vertical lines] then put the text near the +[prefering the closest to the focal and the best it could look], and you should combine it with the flow of the focal. Hope that it help you.
I don`t have 15 posts so I cant post a link.

Brane: like the one above me said, your focal is little messy, the text don`t support it or doing something except stealing the spotlight. Someone once told me that if you want to place a text in the right position to this: Grid your project with the rule of thirds[2 horizental lines and 2 vertical lines] then put the text near the +[prefering the closest to the focal and the best it could look], and you should combine it with the flow of the focal. Hope that it help you.
I don`t have 15 posts so I cant post a link.

Adding to my older post [which is right a top of this] the picture
I`m going to buy 3DS and pokemon White version so I was inspired by Zekrom:

ZekromTag.png

Last edited by a moderator:

moments.

quixotic
Years
I don't know what the original stock might've looked like, but what you've got here isn't too bad! Firstly, I'd tone down the contrast though, because areas like the face are completely black, and you are losing all the original details from the stock. Plus with most of the background and a lot of the canvas completely black, you've got a lot of negative space and it makes the piece feel really empty.

Next up is quality issues. It looks like you've duplicated Zekrom and put a huge blur directly to the right of the stock, however it looks really low quality and isn't too appealing. Also, that fractal/C4D is good, but where it sits on top of Zekrom, it is really low quality and a strange colour. Leads me to question what layer mode you were using and to recommend something like Linear Dodge or Lighten.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
@Zero: I like what you're trying, it doesn't seem bad, but the amount of empty space is... a lot. It's also much too dark, Zekrom's face should be a bit more visible (not a lot) and if you can fix the quality it'd be better as well. A star stock or something else might add to the small LP's appeal as well.

girls_tag_by_trashinatorx-d4nadse.png

gah, rusty, haven't made anything for about half a year (that long?) already. 9.9

edit: v2
girls_tag_v2_by_trashinatorx-d4nattl.png

tbh not sure which one i prefer

Last edited:

moments.

quixotic
Years
@Cycle:
First of all, the effects are really messy and really unpolished. Like, the black and white triangles are not the same shape, are not aligned neatly, those stars are really misshapen. Basically the whole thing feels really rushed, and not a whole lot of effort. That said, if you tidy it all up, and get the wireframe more in the canvas to make it more prominent / add more flow and detail, you'll be able to save it. The plain white background is a little bland, but all it needs is some colour, or a texture. The text I'm not feeling at all.
If you use the version with the duplicate on the left, and add really trippy colours, that could work as well.

Hope that was ok. <3

Here's an LP, specifically some album artwork. Warning, 'tis a gargantuan piece.
buttondown.png

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Pretty nice. But AMANDA STYLE HELLLOOOOOO! Haha, it does remind me of Amanda's work. What I do like most, happens to be the type however. The duplicated lines add for a nice lively feeling to it. However I think you could have made it a bit more wild. Gone for a little more colour and splash. I think pinks would have worked here and a general bit of edginess. The reason being is that if you added depth and life to the type a little more, it would add a nice contrast with the background. Because if you have depth and texture to your type in a different palette the style would be fluid with your background.

You see the issue is that the type is too dead for the piece. The background has a lot of dull colours and it lacks a huge amount of interesting points, which would mean that your type would really need to stand out that bit more rather than blending in. Especially if you wish it to be an album cover. However I can see this being one. It simply needs more pop in the type. Good work though.

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Nothing to rate since abnegation pretty much covered everything (although I'm curious what Amanda style is o.o)

Anyways, still rusty ugh
fun_with_pentool_v2_by_trashinatorx-d4nhrr4.png

Winneon

Years

I like the colors, but the tag seems confusing. All of the different abstracts and colors are filling up the image and it's hard to see what the tag is featuring. You could darken the image a little and just make the tag a bit more visible, if you know what I mean.:D

Here is an icon I just made from this stock.
narutoavi1.png

Zero Darkness

The Cripple Who Is Whole
Years
Ohhh, I dont know what to say about your icon, I never made an icon and I dont know how to judge this. So I will just say that if you planned to do monochrome icon, you ended up good, you could add more things like fractals or C4Ds to the project, its look very similier to the stock too much similier. If you were added more things it wasnt ended very similier. But again I dont know how icon should be maken, so I might be wrong.

And now I will show to you the remake of the Zekrom... Thing I did 8 posts earilier. I just took the render and start this thing fresh and new! Hope its better.[tried new things so if you see a way to help, help!]

TheDarknessTookHim.png

EDIT: as I see it now in big, I thinking and I found out that this is Zekrom flying in hyper speed around thunderclouds!!

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2012
Too many effects. Good job brightening the head, but the effects are all over. I'd clean it up a bit and drop the text as well. Keep some effects and add a star stock or something. kiu

me, ive been trying the orb style and i cant seem to get it right. thoughts?
orb_wip_3_finished_by_trashinatorx-d4nvvgi.png

bg sucks, but idk what to put there so i just slapped a star stock on lol

moments.

quixotic
Years
@Cycle
you stole them quert .PSDs eh? xP

Aight. First of all, the difference between the really good orb pieces, and the not so good ones is time spent. They aren't difficult to make, and you've obviously got all the techniques down, but you haven't spent enough time. Where you've got the main circle for the orb, it looks like you've soft brushed black in the middle to create a donut shape. Don't do that. It looks tacky, and is a bit of a shortcut (which doesn't have the same effect). Keep adding layers with little bits of the orb light around to form the shape without just making a circle then brushing over the top. Main reason, you lose heaps of details doing it your way, and given the simplicity of these pieces, details is everything.

So, just add more layers of the light orb 'body', over and in between the black/blue/yellow details, so they feel a bit more transparent.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
Nothing to rate since abnegation pretty much covered everything (although I'm curious what Amanda style is o.o)

Anyways, still rusty ugh

Amanda style is large-tag style, innit? I've seen some of Amanda's work before on other forums.

Anyways, for your tag, the pink is spot-on, but I reckon it'd be better without the orange on some parts. There are some good effects, but there is too much and you need to cut down on some unnecessary stuff such as the vector lines and clipping effects. There's a focus though, and I'm pleasantly surprised at how you left the stock background in. Overall, it's nice, but it's messy due to the abundance of effects. Garbage some of them and it'll look better, definitely.

This is my first one in months. Don't go easy on me though.

forrowcopy.png

forrowcopy2.png

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/3585/forrowcopy.png
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4884/forrowcopy2.png

Well the biggest nick I have at the moment is that the sprite is fairly difficult to see along with the background because of the low amount of contrast. It's probably because there are no white highlights etc. But I guess in terms of the focal point it stands out due to the black and white background (contradiction eh? :D). I prefer the second one because the first one looks way too bland with the big space on the right, it's kind of like a separate image with nothing in it so it doesn't fit. If anything I reckon you could go with the first one if you took out the bit on the right and made the image a bit longer :)

air_balloons_by_br4ne-d4q3xa7.png

Thought I'd do something for once cuz I'm so lazy :D And thank the lord Uni is starting on Monday because at the moment everything I've been producing is so average haha.

Back