• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Got You Into Pokemon?

Warship

異議あり!
Years
İ initially disliked pokemon but a few years ago my friend made me play it and i was immediately hooked. We still both play it to this day :)

Riolucario11

Bubbly Wubbly Pony Waifu
Years
My older, now 21 year old cousin was one day playing what I remember to be Pokemon Stadium when I was, like, 4 or 5. He was battling currently, and I sat in his lap to watch him, I was pretty intrigued by what was going on. I remember he had a Teddiursa, and was battling...an Oddish, I think, when he gave me a try. With his help, I won the battle, and then we kept playing. Later, I accidentally released the Teddiursa, which he wasn't too happy about, but he just kept playing with me and told me not to press the Release button. Afterwards, we started playing it a lot, until I got my first little DS Lite and bought my own version of Pokemon Fire Red. Ever since then, I've been a Pokemon Fan at heart.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I first got into Pokemon because I had a crush on a guy when I was 10 years old and I had heard he liked Pokemon, so I decided to look into it (I still do this kind of stuff as an adult!! Ugh!! lol) I found the OS anime on Cartoon Network, I believe. I started watching it a little before the episodes where Ash battles in the Indigo League aired in America. I think the first episode I watched was when he defeated Blaine with his Charizard.

Very shortly after I discovered the anime, I played a family friend's kid's Pokemon Blue game when we were visiting them and I really enjoyed it, and they gave me the game. It was all downhill from there. Went nuts playing the games, went nuts buying the cards, went nuts getting up early on Saturday mornings to record the new episodes that came out each week onto a VHS tape so I could rewatch the episode all week until the next week's episode aired. I watched the first three movies in the theater...

Ah, I just love Pokemon. My favorite thing from my childhood, and still one of my favorite things. :)

Sorry, I started rambling there... ^_^

The Grubby Pup

Where's mah shiny squeaky ball
Years
mah older brother had red version. I use to sit over him and watch him play...even after he told me to get lost. Mah first pokemon game was yellow, but I really didn't know what I was doing, so I'm gonna scratch dat and say Silver version. lol

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
Back when I was in elementary school (second grade I think) I was riding the school bus home and a guy from middle (or high, I can't remember) school let me play his Blue version. I can't remember how I ended up playing his Blue version, but I do remember making a new game :P
I've never heard of Pokémon prior to that moment, but I'm glad that I got my hands on his Gameboy. I must've talked about how cool it was, because my parents bought me a Sapphire version soon after. I think Ruby & Sapphire had just been released in the U.S. when all of this happened. Anyways, after playing Sapphire, I became a fan and have been playing ever since.

Years
Dang it, I was raised on this shizz! I was probably 5, the anime was aired on YTV for the first time, with the First Movie arriving the following year. My circle of friends back in the day was in it haarrrd! even though I was the odd one without a gameboy XD. We had endless summer fun pretending to be trainers and pokemon, and making our own pokemon cards and artwork - I even made a kind of fakemon RPG on paper XD. There was also digimon and medabots, if i do remember correctly, but nothing captured our attention more than pokemon. I remember finding my first pokemon cards (several, but I remember dewgong and a potion), they were buried under mulch under a tree (and they were a bit damp). I think somebody meant to hide them :P It captured our imagination and was a solid foundation for our friendship until 2001, that fateful year when most of us moved away :'(

Fast forwards twelve years and I start becoming active on PC! and I found out that one of my classmates in university is really into pokemon :P She's pretty cool XD

Spoiler:

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
christmas. and the box art of pokemon yellow.
i just had to have it.
Yellow_EN_boxart.jpg

takenbythewind

fly on little wing ♪
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 3, 2013
My cousins were really into it and let me play it one day and I LOVED it.
I asked for a Game Boy Advance SP and Pokemon Ruby for Christmas and was hooked. Still am 12 years later. :3

Years
I got a GBA along with a Red version cartridge for my fourth birthday. I didn't play it much because it looked kind of dull and boring. After watching the first episode on television, I felt like playing it again and eventually got addicted to it.

Years
I got exposed to the full force of the original Pokemon hype. First I started seeing glimpses of Pokemon around (pretty sure I saw a Koffing in a magazine), then I started watching the anime with my little bro and we'd act out pokemon battles after. Then one fateful Christmas I got a GBC and Pokemon Blue, and so a gamer and Pokemon fan was truely born. Oh, this must have been 1999 by the way.

Last edited:

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
Christmas, 2002. Thats what got me into Pokemon. {XD}

My mum bought me Pokemon Yellow for my GBA.
I really enjoyed the game. But for months i would restart the game because i couldn't get past Brock. (like many)
As i'd never played Pokemon Red/Blue I'd never been past Pewter city.
And when i finally decided to train a Butterfree. I wiped the floor with that stupid Onix.
And i haven't looked back since. I love the Pokemon games. As well as the cartoon.
LONG LIVE POKEHMON.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I got into Pokemon through the anime around 1998 or 1999. I say both cause I'm not sure exactly. I remember watching episodes on weekends and weekdays on the program block, Kids WB. Apparently they didn't pick it up untill 1999 and Fox Kids air it before then.Who knew. I only remember watching it on Kids WB but I may ahve watch it on Fox Kids, since I think I saw episode one was it aired for the first time. Then around late 1999 I got Pokemon Red as a Christmas gift and my Pokemon obsession grew from there.

Years
It was May 2003 when the show started airing on Cartoon Network. I was having my summer holidays then. Initially I didn't find it very interesting (from the ads) so I didn't watch it until a week later. The first episode I watched was "The school of hard knocks" and I've been a fan since.
When school restarted in June I realised that everyone was a fan of the show.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2013
It was only recently I got into it, but my sister has always been a fan and had 3 different versions. I tried Heartgold out, and I've been hooked ever since.

Years
To be honest, I forget exactly. I remember my parents buying me some of the Pokemon toys before I'd even played the games... although I did watch the cartoon, I believe.
Although I think I played Blue before this, my first real memory is of playing a Portugese version of Yellow my auntie and uncle had brought me back from their holiday (they didn't know it wasn't English). I literally couldn't even manage to get past Brock. Makes me wonder, really. Why did I stick with the Pokemon series after that? I don't know... but I'm glad I did! {XD}

NyxShooter

drifting wanderer
Years
I got into pokemon via my brother. My older brother is my role model, and he was playing pokemon Red, and I begged my mother for pokemon Blue, and she obliged. And ever since then i have fallen in love with the pokemon world.

Zero°

Mirai Nikki
Years
My mom bought me a Gameboy and Pokemon Gold for my 5th birthday and I've been playing ever since. I didn't ask for a Gameboy or Pokemon, it was just random but I'm glad I got that present.

Back