• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Similarities to the past of Pokemon

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Now many of us know that Unova was related to generation one in that it was a brand new start, and the Pokemon were reflected to be like Kanto's in a way, as well as a few other things people have picked up on. Many suspect that these games will be like Johto in that it will include previous generation, have Pokemon similar to Generation and generally an atmosphere similar to Generation 2's in themes/overall legendaries and so on. This is more than just Pokemon and just the region, it's just the general atmosphere. Because really, you just have a thing where you know if something is generation 3 (more than just graphics), or generation 5 - you can just identify that it actually HAS that feeling. Do you think these games will have an atmosphere similar to Generation 2 like thought? Or if you could have a choice - is there a Generation in particular you think these games should relate more to? Do you think by now, the 6th generation, it's still possible to still be "unique" feel to the games, and something which doesn't immediately make you think - "oh this reminds me of ______"? Share your thoughts!!

Sean

Years
Sylveon definitely doesn't remind me of ANY the generations. It's very... futuristic. So I've no idea. The starters also give me absolutely no idea whatsoever.

Just hopefully they don't troll us with another "luvdisc" moment where we all thought a was her evolution when it was a completely separate pokemon... no originality at all

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I don't think gen 6 will be a pseudo-sequel to BW the way GS was to RB- we have B2W2 for that, after all. There's also the fact that it seems to be based on part of Europe rather than the US, which makes it unlikely to be connected to Unova. It'll probably be like GS in terms of Pokemon introduced- a smaller amount and more evos/pre-evos of existing species- to balance the large generation of completely new lines we got in BW, though.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I honestly hope it's as original as generation 2 (I would say 3 but that implies little evolutions of past mons), have Pokémon that are evolutionary related and not copies of past Pokémon like Unova's.

Years
There's also the fact that it seems to be based on part of Europe rather than the US, which makes it unlikely to be connected to Unova.
Yes, in the trailer they showed the Eiffel tower in the background.
800px-XY_Prerelease_Paris.png

Guy

just a guy
Years
There's bound to be some new Pokémon that are going to have fans saying, "Oh! ____ looks like copycat of ____." Or "Haha! ____ is like a fusion between ____ and ____." It's almost its own running gag every time a new generation of Pokémon are introduced. Six generations in, it's certainly not impossible for X and Y to be unique or original in its own way. So far it seems to be heading that way with Yveltal and Xerneas breaking the consistent theme of matching legendaries we've had for the past couple of generations and by any luck Fennekin may finally break the cycle of Fire/Fighting starter types.

Overall, I just wish for a region and a group of Pokémon that are refreshing and of its own kind with a mix of new pre-evolutions / evolutions to older Pokémon and hidden references to past games. While there are going to be some Pokémon who share the same animal-based species as the old, I really hope GameFreak takes the chance and utilizes some other animals they have yet to use. I feel like this will certainly help make X and Y feel more unique than if they were to rehash most of what they've already done in the past.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
Well, yeah, people might tie in one new pokemon with another, which was almost a given starting from Gen II or so, but eh... they really shouldn't, tbh. I mean, take a look at the "pikachu similarities". I feel like GameFreak wanted to ride the Pikachu wave and they decided to put in more Pokemon that are similar to Pikachu - being electric and cute - but it doesn't tend to work out very well. There's Emolga, Marill, and Pachirisu, for example. Most of their designs tend to be unique, though I suppose their downside is that they don't even evolve with the exception of Marill. Almost all designs are unique in their own way, and the resemblances shouldn't be an issue. So, you know, I'd like to see new uniqueness brought to X&Y. Give fans just more fresh air to breathe, you know?

The same goes with this region; it has great potential, and I hope GF will make a brand new refresh adventure for fans; to give them a brand new atmosphere. Like in BW, BW was meant to represent a exploration of american culture, in which they included stuff from all over the states. They included many towns and terrains that would not be found in their corresponding locations in New York and New Jersey. I would be willing to bet that in XY, the map will correspond directly to a region around paris, but they will include different terrain and elements of European culture, to mix things up, and keep things fresh.

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I love Johto, but the last thing I'd want to see Gen 6 do is try to be similar to it. The goal here shouldn't be to try and capture the same themes/Pokémon that a previous generation did, but to try to create a new experience. I mean it's impossible to be completely unique and stuff is probably going to look similar in some aspects (I mean, Luvdisc and Alomomola come to mind), but if it's just going to try and re-hash something for the sake of being the second game in the "reboot", then count me out.

Back