• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.
  • Want to share your adventures playing Pokémon?
    Check out our new Travel Journals forum for sharing playthroughs of ROM Hacks, Fan Games, and other Pokémon content!
  • IMPORTANT: Following a takedown request, the following hacks have been delisted from PokéCommunity:

• Pokémon Glazed
    • Pokémon: Giratina Strikes Back
    • Pokémon Flora Sky
    • Pokémon Stranded
    The downloads and discussion threads for these hacks will no longer be accessible, and staff will be unable to return questions regarding accessing this content.

Tile Inserting, The Easy Way!

Years
I am not so good at graphic....
well i use photoshop to extrac pallete and then laod it with A-Map.
Is this a right way?

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
So this 'inserts' the tile into the memory, but then how do you use the tile?

M.L

Invisible
Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2017
awsome tut i started off witht this method and found using infranview and character maker pro is better as it indexes and character maker pro then saves the pallete so you dont make pallete errors :)

pikachu27

Welcome
Years

Introduction

I'm going to show you how to tile insert using a method that I've adopted by using some of paint's less known features.

What You'll Need

• Advanced Map (A-Map)
  • Paint
  • A positive attitude

Instructions

1. Open A-Map
    Spoiler:
  2. Open the map with the tileset you want to destr-- err... I mean change
    Spoiler:
  3. Click on the puzzle piece
  4. Go to the palette that most resembles your tile's colour or to the palette with the colours you want to change it to
    Spoiler:
  5. Now go Picture>Save Tileset 2 (or 1 if you're editing the default tileset)
    Spoiler:
  6. Open your tileset and tile with paint
    Spoiler:
  7. Paste your tile into the tileset
    Spoiler:
  8. Click on the eyedropper
    Spoiler:
  9. Left click on your tile's colour
    Spoiler:
  10. Click on the eyedropper again
  11. Right click on the colour that resembles the tile most or the colour you want to change it to
    Spoiler:
  12. Click on the eraser
    Spoiler:
  13. Hold control and press + - to resize your eraser to the size of the tile (or the size you want but resizing the eraser to the size of the tile is faster)
    Spoiler:
  14. Hold the right button and drag the eraser across the tile (or just right click if it's bigger than the tile)
    Spoiler:
  15. Repeat steps 8-14 until you recoloured your whole tile
    Spoiler:
  16. Open A-Map again and click load tileset 2 (again 1 if you're editing the default tileset)
    Spoiler:
  17. Check in A-Map if the tile looks like the tile in paint
    Spoiler:
  18. Voila, you have just inserted your first tile!

Keynotes

I hope this tutorial helps anybody who doesn't know how to tile insert or if it helps out the seasoned tile inserter that wants an alternative way to tile insert. If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to post below.

Credits

• Luho- For A-Map
  • Wesley FG- Tiles
But how do you insert a new pokemon center, pokemon mart and pokemon gym tileset.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
But how do you insert a new pokemon center, pokemon mart and pokemon gym tileset.

In exactly the same way. That question is kinda vague, but as they are tiles, you insert them... By tile inserting like this.

And it isn't advisable to quote the entire first post.

bsubroncoes1

BSU-the great debate
Years
is this kind of how u make (example) a poke center into a poke center/hotel building? i really need to know how to completely edit a tile

ShadowGrey

Graphix Master
Years
You have my thanks Aljam, i know there are plenty of these tutorials about but this was clear and precise, once i had the basics down and practiced for a short while i really got the hang of it, now im familiar with all aspects of advancemap and im inserting tiles left right and centre.

Iv noticed a couple of people asking about inserting tiles instead of a pokemon centre etc, i see where the difficulties arise, the tilset for the pokemon centre, mart etc overlap, there isnt much room for additional tiles, and are based entirely on 4x4 tiles. To combat this (for example i wanted to insert an old style inn instead of a pokemon centre) You need the basic tileset (0) and the tiles you want to insert. keep in mind that because the tiles overlap you will end up with a new pokemon centre and mart of the same design. what you really want to do is divide your new tileset into 4x4 tiles, then look at it closley, you need to remove any of these tiles that are duplicates, this includes blanks, and both x and y invertions, once you have it to the lowest possible amount begin inserting over the pokecentre mart tiles, be cautious, you may have a few extra tiles here and there but there are also a few uneeded tile slots here and there. once done you will need to rebuild both the centre and the mart on your tilset, bit by bit replacing all y and x inversions.

If any one is unsure about any of these points you may contact me and i will help you out. i plan soon on making a tutorial for this, perhaps if it is okay with you Aljam I shall add it to his thread, then you wont get anymore such questions and will have a unique section of tutorial i havent found covered anywhere else.

Last edited:

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
Years
You have my thanks Aljam, i know there are plenty of these tutorials about but this was clear and precise, once i had the basics down and practiced for a short while i really got the hang of it, now im familiar with all aspects of advancemap and im inserting tiles left right and centre.

Iv noticed a couple of people asking about inserting tiles instead of a pokemon centre etc, i see where the difficulties arise, the tilset for the pokemon centre, mart etc overlap, there isnt much room for additional tiles, and are based entirely on 4x4 tiles. To combat this (for example i wanted to insert an old style inn instead of a pokemon centre) You need the basic tileset (0) and the tiles you want to insert. keep in mind that because the tiles overlap you will end up with a new pokemon centre and mart of the same design. what you really want to do is divide your new tileset into 4x4 tiles, then look at it closley, you need to remove any of these tiles that are duplicates, this includes blanks, and both x and y invertions, once you have it to the lowest possible amount begin inserting over the pokecentre mart tiles, be cautious, you may have a few extra tiles here and there but there are also a few uneeded tile slots here and there. once done you will need to rebuild both the centre and the mart on your tilset, bit by bit replacing all y and x inversions.

If any one is unsure about any of these points you may contact me and i will help you out. i plan soon on making a tutorial for this, perhaps if it is okay with you Aljam I shall add it to his thread, then you wont get anymore such questions and will have a unique section of tutorial i havent found covered anywhere else.

That would be swell. It's always great to have everything in one place.

Cello

Tonight!
Years
Any problem with the coloration when it appears in the Advanced Map screen is due to you not adhering to the colors given in the palette, which means you're gonna have a bad time.

In addition to palette problems, it looks as if there are animated water/flower tiles in his map, which occur when you insert any tile over a preexisting animated tile.
One frame of the animation may be your new tile, but the rest will be whatever you inserted over top of.

If i'm not mistake this is either fixed by disabling the animation in a Hex editor or just flat out going back and fixing the animated tile and insert your new tile over top of one that's not animated.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2012
hmm i try what i see on youtube i change the colr of my tiles in the color of the palette and when i put it inside advanced map and i changed the palettes color into the real color of the tile the whole tileset in the game has been changed its color

leachim_paloyz15

~ セールマイケル
Years
  • Seen Sep 20, 2016
What if, we're going to make an entire new tileset with a custom/different palette?
How are we going to insert that?

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2012
by the way i already surrender of it
i decide to just continue playing it and also all of my tools had infected by virus and accidentaly deleted
if you need some Betta Testers :)

Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I'ts the same way in windows 7 too?
and how I'm use the tile i'm insert?

Last edited:

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
Okay, so I'm following this tutorial and everything's fine. So I go to insert these Gym tiles and I think, oh, it's too big for the tileset, so I expand the tileset image in Paint, (I keep the same Horizontal dimension though), and insert the Gym and colour away. Once done, I insert it into A-Map, and the Gym shows up fine when I click to the correct palette. So I think "All right! I've FINALLY managed to inset a tile." I click the Save button and... it doesn't appear in the list of tiles you can use in game... In the builder, side bar thing... the sidebar to the right in A-Map (I forgot what it's called).

Is my Gym out of proportion or something? Should I have not expanded the tileset?

If you can help, thanks.

PS: Banjora, I inserted the palette colours manually in I-view and they just messed up the tile, blues would turn brown, etc.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
Okay, so I'm following this tutorial and everything's fine. So I go to insert these Gym tiles and I think, oh, it's too big for the tileset, so I expand the tileset image in Paint, (I keep the same Horizontal dimension though), and insert the Gym and colour away. Once done, I insert it into A-Map, and the Gym shows up fine when I click to the correct palette. So I think "All right! I've FINALLY managed to inset a tile." I click the Save button and... it doesn't appear in the list of tiles you can use in game... In the builder, side bar thing... the sidebar to the right in A-Map (I forgot what it's called).

Is my Gym out of proportion or something? Should I have not expanded the tileset?

If you can help, thanks.

PS: Banjora, I inserted the palette colours manually in I-view and they just messed up the tile, blues would turn brown, etc.

NEVER expand the tileset dimensions, as it does nothing, as the ROM is set with pointers for tilesets. Unless you find a way to make the game recognise expanded tilesets, it's just a waste of space really, and so you must replace old tiles.

As for the PS, I have little knowledge of using Irfanview, so it was just all theory. If I decide to tile insert again (as I'm on semi-retirement), I may look into it.

Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2014
Error on compressed data (size of data is $FFFFFF). My map went dark blue :(

Back