• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pokémon Prototype

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Small Update:
The palette enhancements for the GSC sprites are finshed! Along with the palette enhancements for the sprites from Yellow and Green, all the sprites look great!

See Ya!

Zameric

The One and Only
Years
I really like where this seems to be going. I think you're doing a pretty good job so far.

One question I had about the mechanics is are you going to try to fix the typing match-ups to reflect Gen II & III?
It would help tremendously to remove Psychic's immunity to ghost type attacks and make it weak to them.
There's also the dumb Gen I relationship between Poison type and Bug type.

I'd like to suggest making poison type attacks super-effective against normal type pokemon.
I've always thought that poison was a little short sold.

I know you kind of answered this before, but I'd suggest adding in some moves.
Both ghost and dragon types need a decent damaging move.
And make Twineedle and/or Pin Missile more accessible.
Even without Psychic's immunity to ghost, it's still a 'broken' type.

If I knew how to hack pokemon games and be able to add in stuff, I might put in Munna, Musharna and a pre-evolution for Kangaskhan.

I'd also personally would like to see the two Nidorans treated more as one pokemon.
I think they should have been the first gender-based split evolution line. :p
I'd also make Nidoking/queen evolve by level-up, instead of moon stone.

Just some neat sprites I found of deviantart.
[link] [link] [link]

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
sprites look great. Really like them. Keep up the hard work. Glad the palette enhancement worked. Looking forward to the other sprites.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I really like where this seems to be going. I think you're doing a pretty good job so far.

One question I had about the mechanics is are you going to try to fix the typing match-ups to reflect Gen II & III?
It would help tremendously to remove Psychic's immunity to ghost type attacks and make it weak to them.
There's also the dumb Gen I relationship between Poison type and Bug type.

I'd like to suggest making poison type attacks super-effective against normal type pokemon.
I've always thought that poison was a little short sold.
Yeah, I will be mixing up the type matchups to what I think sounds best. And I definitely agree with the poison vs. normal. I haven't thought about that before. Thanks!
I know you kind of answered this before, but I'd suggest adding in some moves.
Both ghost and dragon types need a decent damaging move.
And make Twineedle and/or Pin Missile more accessible.
Even without Psychic's immunity to ghost, it's still a 'broken' type.
Yeah, nothing's official yet, but I'll definitely keep this in mind when I take a deeper look at adding in new moves.
If I knew how to hack pokemon games and be able to add in stuff, I might put in Munna, Musharna and a pre-evolution for Kangaskhan.
Well, I'm definitely not interested in any Pokemon besides the original 151. And don't worry. I already have a plan for Kangaskhan ;)
I'd also personally would like to see the two Nidorans treated more as one pokemon.
I think they should have been the first gender-based split evolution line. :p
I'd also make Nidoking/queen evolve by level-up, instead of moon stone.
Do you mean combining the two Nidorans into one Pokemon? Well RBY don't support genders and I doubt I would be able to add that in myself. And besides, it would mess with the Pokedex order and that would bother me. So I'm gonna keep it just the way it is :P
Just some neat sprites I found of deviantart.
[link] [link] [link]
Well thanks for offering, but like I said, I won't be adding new Pokemon and I already know what I'm doing as a pre-evolution for Kangaskhan. And those baby Kangaskhan sprites would have to be devamped anyway because they contain more than four colors :P
sprites look great. Really like them. Keep up the hard work. Glad the palette enhancement worked. Looking forward to the other sprites.
So you like the revamped Yellow/Green sprites and the new grey palettes for the Machop family? It's always bothered me that GSC used a stupid brown palette, because you'll never find them brown anywhere else. So I tried to make them look as familiar as possible. Did it work?
And thank you for all your support! :)

blazerj13

Impossibly Possible~
Years
this is turning out to be a good hack :) im a novice spriter but, if you need any help, ill try to help out k? keep it up man!

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Thanks! If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to let me know! :)

And does everyone remember how I'm using a couple sprites from Yellow and one from Green? Well I'm certain about all of those decisions except for Raticate... I really can't decide if I should use the Crystal sprite or the Yellow sprite for Raticate in my hack.
attachment.php
attachment.php

What does everyone think?

Zameric

The One and Only
Years
Danny-E 33 said:
Yeah, I will be mixing up the type matchups to what I think sounds best. And I definitely agree with the poison vs. normal. I haven't thought about that before. Thanks!

Well, I'm definitely not interested in any Pokemon besides the original 151. And don't worry. I already have a plan for Kangaskhan ;)

Do you mean combining the two Nidorans into one Pokemon? Well RBY don't support genders and I doubt I would be able to add that in myself. And besides, it would mess with the Pokedex order and that would bother me. So I'm gonna keep it just the way it is :P
Alright. That should be interesting to see.

But Munna probably could have been in Gen I
Ooohh~ Now I'm very intrigued to see what you do with Kangakhan. xD

Yeah, I would combine the two Nidorans, but the best you can do in Gen I is make them have all the same moves and stats.
I've just always thought Gamefreak kind of missed the opportunity with Nidoran.
But the game it still fun to play otherwise. Good luck on your hack! :)

Danny-E 33 said:
And does everyone remember how I'm using a couple sprites from Yellow and one from Green? Well I'm certain about all of those decisions except for Raticate... I really can't decide if I should use the Crystal sprite or the Yellow sprite for Raticate in my hack.
attachment.php
attachment.php

What does everyone think?
I personally like the Crystal/Gold sprite better than the Yellow.
It's more like the original Red/Green and Red/Blue sprites.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Alright. I've been leaning towards the crystal sprite lately anyway. Sounds good to me then! I'm still keeping the other sprites from Yellow and the one from Green for sure though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 12, 2021
While I do like the concept, I find it rather strange about the whole map is not only is it a re-designed Kanto, but a more linear one as well. There are no branching paths on the map (unless you count Route 24+25). and it's all just from start to finish.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Well yeah, I was particularly keeping this in mind when redesigning the map. Even if it isn't 'realistic' or 'traditional', I prefer a game that's more start-to-finish. I'm sure that isn't most people's opinion, but it is my preference and I'm going to make my game the way I want to see a game made. :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Wheres the Download Link? I'm a tad new to this and don't necessarily see it.
I actually haven't released a demo for this hack yet. Maybe in a few months still. Progress has been pretty slow due to school and work and all, but I'll finish it eventually :)
WOW! I think this looks awesome, I've been waiting for someone to do a hack with Mewtwo!
Thank you! Be sure to check here often for updates and let me know any feedback you can think of :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2023
You should have like a beta releases like gyms 1-3 or some shiz... so people don't think this thread is dead.

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
What's today? The 9th? I last posted in this thread two days ago. It's definitely not dead.

And did you even read my last post? I'm still working on the first beta. It just isn't ready yet. That's also kinda why this thread is in the Progressing Hacks forum ;)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I've been very busy and I've been doing alot of work on this project behind the scenes, so most of it's been stuff I can't really show off.

But today I have an update everyone can appreciate! :D
I have finished adding support for GSC trainers and their own unique palette!

Kk0bN2r.png

In case you didn't know, in the gen 1 games all trainers are programmed to use one palette. So it was a challenge to make it so each trainer could use their own palette. This feature was made possible by stag019 :)

Last edited:

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Your hack also deserves a lot more attention than this...
Anyway, looking good but how have you progressed with the overall gameplay?

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Your hack also deserves a lot more attention than this...
Thanks :) but with something as gba centered as Pokecommunity, I can't really complain :)
Anyway, looking good but how have you progressed with the overall gameplay?
Almost non-existent. Between school, work, and a secret project that I'm eager to finish and release, any of my time that has gone towards this hack has mostly been making everything more organized and finishing several things that I've left unfinished cause I get too excited about starting something else that has to do with this hack. I need to be better about finishing a single task before I try to begin another one. So I think I'm gonna be in this catch-up phase for a while. But that's fine with me :)

Danny-E 33

The Loneliest Cubone
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Big update today! I now have nice 6x6 back sprites working for all Pokemon! No more gross, pixelated back sprites! Along with the other graphics and palette changes to the rest of the battle HUD, my gen 1 battle screen looks almost identical to the batte screen for Gold!! :D

llaKWsK.png

All the credit for the working 6x6 back sprites goes to Sawakita for showing me how to implement this! I never could have done this on my own! :)

Last edited:
Back