• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Pokemon Ash will Never Obtain

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
There are many Pokemon Ash will never be able to obtain. Thinking about it, Ash only captures six to ten Pokemon in one region. Each time they are mostly starters or Pokemon according to type. So, in your opinion what are some Pokemon, besides legendary Pokemon, that Ash can never hope to obtain and why?

In my opinion, Ash will never obtain another Dragon type. He has one. I dobut he'll ever obtain one again because it'll make him too poweful. He also won't get a Ghost type because it doesn't suit his style. Another Pokemon I doubt Ash will ever get is another Pikachu or another electric type. He has Pikachu as his Electric type, so he won't obtain another.

Now, discuss.

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
Years
i think the way the story of ash is set up is actually quite clever. now i cannot really comment because i only have seen season I II & III back to back. but from memory. he must be.. 12..? 13..? maybe older. but i think that the creators are playing at this. that way. for example, in 5 years or so. when he's 17-18 he will start to get better at he's pokemon collecting. and actually get more serious about the whole idea of being a pokemon master. but back on topic. (haha) i don't think he will ever have a eevee.. which is kind of disappointing.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I can tell you one he'll never own even though there's potential: Garchomp. Because it's just way too powerful. I mean, Ash would just be unstoppable with it.
And after they way they had to limit Charizard so much with its disobedience, then send it away (although it's come back on occasion, including apparently in BW? I stopped watching after the first few episodes).
So I seriously doubt they'd ever let Gible evolve any further than Gabite. And if they did they'd probably completely destroy his usefulness somehow.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
i couldn't realistically see ash with any sort of psychic, dark, or ghost types because it wouldnt be like him to do so. i really wish hed taken his gible to unova as well to get garchomp, he probably would win the unova league with that thing.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Ash has had a Ghost type in the past though. It may have been unofficial but he has owned a Haunter.

Scraggy is Dark Type.

Honestly I can see Ash catching anything. We've seen him catch Pokemon that go a completely different route than what he usually deals with. They tend to disrespect or just don't listen to him. He eventually wins them over and they start to listen to him or he changes his tactics to fit that one specific Pokemon.

So really with writer's being as enigmatic as they always are I can see Ash with roughly any Pokemon seeing as he can have any Pokemon should the writers want to give him one.

zdude18

Lone Wolf
Years
oh i forgot about scraggy's dual fighting and dark type, however he never actually caught haunter or even battled with it, it ran away from both battles he tried to use it in so that doesn't really count in my book.

Years
Ash has had a Ghost type in the past though. It may have been unofficial but he has owned a Haunter.

Scraggy is Dark Type.

Honestly I can see Ash catching anything. We've seen him catch Pokemon that go a completely different route than what he usually deals with. They tend to disrespect or just don't listen to him. He eventually wins them over and they start to listen to him or he changes his tactics to fit that one specific Pokemon.

So really with writer's being as enigmatic as they always are I can see Ash with roughly any Pokemon seeing as he can have any Pokemon should the writers want to give him one.

I mostly agree with what Xander said here, Ash did train a Ghost-type at one point (the aforementioned Haunter) but has not yet officially had a Ghost-type as a permanent team member. He also hasn't caught any Psychic or Steel-types yet but remember when the Sinnoh saga gave him his first Dragon-type (Gible) while his hatching of Scraggy in Unova marked the first time he (or in fact, any main character) has owned a Dark-type, and also his capture of Roggenrola marked the first time he officially caught a Rock-type, so there may be a possibility in the X & Y saga that he might eventually own a Pokemon of the types that he hasn't yet owned.

As for types I don't see him catching, I probably guess Ghost since they don't really suit him imo.

Years
Ash has been shown never obtaining a Psychic or a Ghost type or even a Dark type. Seeing these pokes are often creepy and young kids could never like them. So he will never have one. I remember he has not have a proper Dragon type too. That Gible in Sinnoh has not been shown much again and it had not even shown evolving for some special event

Years
  • Seen Sep 28, 2013
I can't see him getting a pure fighting type Pokemon as a main member of the team. Because he all ready had Primmate all the way back in season 1. (Yes i know that was a long ass time ago).

bulbasir

Just call me Mr. Sir...
Years
  • Seen Jul 12, 2013
i think the way the story of ash is set up is actually quite clever. now i cannot really comment because i only have seen season I II & III back to back. but from memory. he must be.. 12..? 13..? maybe older. but i think that the creators are playing at this. that way. for example, in 5 years or so. when he's 17-18 he will start to get better at he's pokemon collecting. and actually get more serious about the whole idea of being a pokemon master. but back on topic. (haha) i don't think he will ever have a eevee.. which is kind of disappointing.

The creators of the show have set it up so that Ash doesn't age, even though a passage of time is clear

XmarkXalanX

Shadow Master
Years
I think, if anything, Psychic. In X/Y, he'll almost definitely obtain a Fairy-type, just because it's a new type and they would want to showcase it as much as possible.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Ash won't obtain another electric type, since he has Pikachu. Besides that I think it would quite be possible form him to obtain any type besides electric but the "evil" ones wouldn't be used as often (I remember Ash using Muk like one or two times and poison = evil, for some reason)

Him getting a fairy type seems pretty reasonable and maybe the first fight with it would be against some dragon type, simply to show off their "mythical power" xD

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I guess the general agreement is on Ghost type, then.. I agree, mostly. The only way I can see him using a ghost would be if it was a particularly goofy one. Haunter was a good example of what I mean (but he never actually "caught" it, so I discount it). He most certainly will not go for an intimidating ghost type, Dusklops, for example, would never happen.
I could see him getting a Steel type, no problem. I think a Mawile would fit him pretty well, at least in terms of "style". But if he gets one, it would probably be one from 6th gen. Steel/Fairy type?

TheFuturePokemon

Natural.....
Years
I can't really see ash with a fairy type unless its paired with another type. Maybe they'll give the fairy type to the girl companion in X and Y. Also can't see Ash with a fully evolved Dragon type. Feels like it would be too powerful for Ash. Doesn't fit his style of using weak unevolved pokemon and winning.

Draco Razr

Elite Dragon Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 26, 2013
i couldn't realistically see ash with any sort of psychic, dark, or ghost types because it wouldnt be like him to do so. i really wish hed taken his gible to unova as well to get garchomp, he probably would win the unova league with that thing.

Ash has been shown never obtaining a Psychic or a Ghost type or even a Dark type. Seeing these pokes are often creepy and young kids could never like them. So he will never have one. I remember he has not have a proper Dragon type too. That Gible in Sinnoh has not been shown much again and it had not even shown evolving for some special event

Not only Scraggy but he caught Krokorok which has evolved into Krookodile so Ash does have a dark type Pokemon, one he received as an egg and another he caught. It would great if Ash can catch one of each type. His team was really good in the Sinnoh League, being placed Top 4. But we are still waiting for Ghost, Psychic, Steel and Fairy.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
Obviously Ash won't catch another Electric type because of his Pikachu, so it's still possible for him to catch a Psychic type, a Fairy type, and a Ghost type (officially) in the next region now that he caught his first Rock type, Roggenrola, and his first two Dark types, Scraggy and Krookodile.

Years
I never new ash had a dragon type pokemon!
but I really loved it when couldn't control Charizard, and lost the emm first league(don't know if that's what they call it) because of it. ash losing made me sad, extremely sad, but it also made it feel much real, and much more connected to the character, I don't want always winning, I want ash to be one of us, we sometimes lose and sometimes win, life. (I always get out off topic lol)

ash would never catch emmm rock, psychic, and dark (but then again, I only watched the first season so, what do I know right ;p)

ganesha

The Graphical Master
Years
ash would never catch emmm rock, psychic, and dark (but then again, I only watched the first season so, what do I know right ;p)

Ash had caught a Roggenrola already so he has Rock type Pokémon, Ash would never own a Venusaur, Blastoise, Shamurott, Serperior, Ferrarigator, and many more fully evolved forms of his unevolved Pokémon, he wouldn't even catch a Raichu for sure XD :p :D

Back