• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Vaporeon or Sylveon?

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I made this team today, and have been testing it out on Pokemon Showdown. I'm not sure if I want to change my Vaporeon for Sylveon. My Vaporeon hasn't been doing bad, but I was wondering if Sylveon might be better for my overall team. Here's a list of my team and their moves and stats.

1. Vaporeon @ Leftovers
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 120 HP / 56 Def / 80 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Scald
    - Acid Armor

Scolipede @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 248 HP / 208 SDef / 52 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Baton Pass
    - Megahorn

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
    Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 132 Def / 124 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Quick Attack
    - Return
    - Swords Dance

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 56 SDef / 12 Spd
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Foul Play
    - Knock Off
    - Defog
    - Roost

Goodra @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Gooey
    EVs: 36 HP / 136 Def / 252 SAtk / 84 SDef
    Modest Nature
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Thunderbolt

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 60 HP / 196 Atk / 216 Def / 36 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roost
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake

Any help would be very appreciated.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Acid Armor only sees use on Baton Pass teams. This team isn't Baton Pass from the looks of things. Vaporeon is better off simply Wish-healing the team:
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Toxic/Roar
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 SDef
Item: Leftovers

What's the point of Mandibuzz's EV spread? Sometimes the standard spread is the best spread if your EV spread doesn't accomplish anything. If you intend to use Knock Off on it, use an Impish nature, so that Knock Off's power isn't ruined:
-Foul Play
-Roost
-Taunt/Whirlwind
-Knock Off/Defog/Toxic
Nature: Impish/Bold

The thing I said about Mandibuzz also applies to Goodra. What KOs does it avoid with your spread?:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast/Dragon Tail
Nature: Modest/Quiet
EVs: 248 HP/252 SAtk/8 SDef
Item: Choice Specs/Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper

Once again, what applies to Mandibuzz and Goodra also applies to Gliscor. The preferred EV spread is 244 HP/40 Def/224 Spe. This lets it outspeed Jolly/Timid Lucario and other base 90 Speed Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Acid Armor only sees use on Baton Pass teams. This team isn't Baton Pass from the looks of things. Vaporeon is better off simply Wish-healing the team:
-Wish
-Protect
-Scald
-Ice Beam/Toxic/Roar

What's the point of Mandibuzz's EV spread? Sometimes the standard spread is the best spread if your EV spread doesn't accomplish anything. If you intend to use Knock Off on it, use an Impish nature, so that Knock Off's power isn't ruined:
-Foul Play
-Roost
-Taunt/Whirlwind
-Knock Off/Defog/Toxic
Nature: Impish/Bold

The thing I said about Mandibuzz also applies to Goodra. What KOs does it avoid with your spread?:
-Draco Meteor
-Fire Blast
-Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb
-Focus Blast/Dragon Tail
Nature: Modest/Quiet
EVs: 248 HP/252 SAtk/8 SDef
Item: Choice Specs/Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey/Sap Sipper

Once again, what applies to Mandibuzz and Goodra also applies to Gliscor. The preferred EV spread is 244 HP/40 Def/224 Spe. This lets it outspeed Jolly/Timid Lucario and other base 90 Speed Pokemon.

Thanks for you input. I definitely took some of your suggestions, and can see an improvement.

I was trying pick stuff that would best compliment them for the job I was assigning the particular mon. The only thing is that you didn't answer my main question. Do you think I should switch out Vaporeon for Sylveon with a similar set? Reason I ask, is that right now my team as big weakness toward electric types. I figured Sylveon would help my coverage and overall team synergy.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Your team isn't that weak to electric attacks since Gliscor is immune and Goodra resists it.

Both Sylveon and Vaporeon are good, but I don't really think that one is better for your team than the other. If you want to test Sylveon out and see if its better for your team than Vaporeon, use this:

-Sylveon w/Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP, 244 Defense, 12 Speed or Sp.Attack, I don't remember which goes in there
Moves: Wish, Protect, Hyper Voice, Heal Bell/Toxic

That performs a similar function to the Vaporeon set Platinum posted (which is the Vaporeon set you should use). Try 'em both out, see what happens.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Thanks for you input. I definitely took some of your suggestions, and can see an improvement.

I was trying pick stuff that would best compliment them for the job I was assigning the particular mon. The only thing is that you didn't answer my main question. Do you think I should switch out Vaporeon for Sylveon with a similar set? Reason I ask, is that right now my team as big weakness toward electric types. I figured Sylveon would help my coverage and overall team synergy.

Your team isn't that weak to electric attacks since Gliscor is immune and Goodra resists it.

Both Sylveon and Vaporeon are good, but I don't really think that one is better for your team than the other. If you want to test Sylveon out and see if its better for your team than Vaporeon, use this:

-Sylveon w/Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP, 244 Defense, 12 Speed or Sp.Attack, I don't remember which goes in there
Moves: Wish, Protect, Hyper Voice, Heal Bell/Toxic

That performs a similar function to the Vaporeon set Platinum posted (which is the Vaporeon set you should use). Try 'em both out, see what happens.
Must've forgotten about that. I second Zekrom; I don't think one is better than the other. Think about this: do you want Vaporeon's bigger Wishes, or Sylveon's stronger offensive presence? Also, the spread should be 252 HP/244 Def/12 Spe. That lets Sylveon outspeed Tyranitar.

Back