• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC WiFi Tournament

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Tournament #14's registration period is now CLOSED. Round One results are due in by Saturday, May 14th, 2011. Good luck!

banner-8.gif

Thanks to Ooka for making this banner. ^_^

Past Winners

June 2007: aragornbird
December 2007: Richard Lynch
February 2008: Lumine & Lady Nicole
May 2008: Ooka
October 2008: Aurafire
February 2009: aragornbird
April 2009: Ooka
October 2009: Mukkamoto & MasterUmbreon
March 2010: Mukkamoto
June 2010: Junoliv & _Prince_
August 2010: Alakazam17
December 2010: Kepov
March 2011: Kepov & psychomew2
June 2011: Dusknoirs

Tournament Rankings
Spoiler:

Now that Black and White are available in most places, I think it is about time that we have something like this set up. Chances are, most of the people reading this are able to link up wirelessly, and if not, you can still cheer on the players!

One of the problems I see with having a tournament is that I don't believe anyone other than the two participants can actually see what is going on, allowing cheaters to have a field day. So we'd need a level of trust between members. That said, I think it would be doable.

Other than that, here are a few rules I made up myself. Subject to change if I get a crowd of members wanting it as such. =P

PC WiFi Tournament Rules

1. You must have either Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver, with WiFi capabilities to enter a Fourth Gen Tournament. For a Fifth Gen Tournament, you must have either Black or White.

2. You must have a team of six Pokemon, not including the following:

Fourth Gen
Mewtwo, Mew, Wynaut, Wobbuffet, Lugia, Ho-oh, Salamence, Latias, Latios, Groudon, Kyogre, Deoxys(all formes), Garchomp, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina(all formes), Manaphy, Shaymin(Sky forme only), Darkrai, Arceus

Fifth Gen

Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, Blaziken, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Deoxys(Normal & Attack formes), Dialga, Palkia, Giratina(all formes), Manaphy, Shaymin(Sky forme only), Darkrai, Arceus, Reshiram, Zekrom, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect

And in addition to that, there are some restrictions on abilities:

-Do not use the Moody Ability.
-Do not have Drizzle and Swift Swim Abilities on the same team.
-Chandelure with Shadow Tag is banned, but allowed with other Abilities.

Since we are just at the dawn of the fifth generation, several of the above ban lists may change over time. However, in regards to this tournament, we will follow the standards that were in effect as of Round One. Thus, if a Pokémon becomes banned in the middle of a tournament, they will be allowed for the remainder and banned in the subsequent tournaments. This also works both ways, so if a Pokémon is unbanned during a tournament, it will remained banned here until the final.

3. All basic clauses will be in effect. That's Sleep, Evasion, OHKO, Hax Item, and Species Clauses:

Sleep Clause: No two Pokemon of the same side should be asleep at the same time. Exceptions being Rest, and "no other choice" situations(ie. Effect Spore ability, or getting Encored on Hypnosis). Also of note is that while allowed in the singles, the use of Dark Void in a doubles or triples match is not.

Evasion Clause: No use of moves that alter the ability to hit with attacks. This includes Flash, Double Team, & Sand-Attack. This does not include Acupressure and Metronome, which could randomly increase evasiveness.

OHKO Clause: No using Guillotine, Horn Drill, Fissure, or Sheer Cold. Destiny Bond and Perish Song are allowed, however.

Hax Item Clause: No using hold items that rely on luck. Hax Items include Lax Incense, King's Rock, Brightpowder, Razor Claw, Scope Lens, and Quick Claw.

Species Clause: No two Pokemon of the same species on the same team. This does not apply to those in the same evolutionary line(ie. you can't have two Alakazam, but you can have an Alakazam and a Kadabra).

4. Since all Fourth Gen WiFi battles allow you to choose Pokemon levels, all battles should be held at level 50 or 100, to allow even-footing. Battles will also be Single, not Double. And for Fifth Gen battles, the Wonder Launcher must be turned off.

5. Entrants will be put into four groups at the start of the tourney: America East, America West, Europe, and Australia(after the regions the majority of you are from). Specific battles will be chosen randomly among the people in these groups, and will be posted here on a set day. However, once a certain point is reached, these regional groups will be dissolved, and everyone will be put in the same pot.

6. Another set day, a DQ time as we like to call it, will be given, and I'd ask all results to be posted here before this time. The DQ time will be two weeks for each round, beginning and ending on a Saturday. Note that winning your battle while failing to notify me within the DQ time will still result in your DQ.

7. This before-mentioned process will repeat until we have one person left! This person will be declared the winner, and will have their name at the top of this post for all eternity! Also, they will recieve prizes as listed below.

8. If you turn out to be a no-show, not only will you not be able to receive any benefits(ie. being the candidate for the free round), but you will have to participate in a preliminary match the next time you enter the tournament. This shall include no-shows from previous rounds, with the winners moving on to Round One. Note the fact that if someone who withdraws from the tournament will not be considered a no-show.

9. While the main tourney is, as mentioned, for Single Battles over WiFi, there will be a Side-Tourney, or Side-Tournies, as well. There are currently no Side-Tournies, and that will remain the case until further notice.

10. If you change your username or account, please notify me ASAP.

11. Please respect your fellow battlers. That means no flaming or spamming, or insulting your opponents. We are supposed to have fun here, so don't go ruining it for everyone else. Any member found practicing bad sportsmanship will be dealt with accordingly.

12. Now, the rules I must add, and that I hope will never have to be enforced:

If two people finish a battle with conflicting stories, BOTH will be disqualified. Furthermore, if later on the identity of the untruthful individual is found out, he or she will be banned from all future tournaments. This includes those who disconnect intentionally and lie about it.

Furthermore, if it is found out that a battler has been using illegal hacked Pokemon, he or she will be banned from all future tournaments. This is in addition to any action the forum staff may take.

Prizes

Note: Anyone who wishes to donate a prize to the tournament, please PM me. It would be appreciated.

1st place: Choice of 2 donations, plus recognition in the top of this post. Also gets to skip 1st & 2nd rounds of next tournament.
2nd place: Choice of 1 donation. Also gets to skip 1st round of next tournament.
3rd & 4th place: Gets to skip 1st round of next tournament.
Giver of Donation: Gets to skip 1st round of next tournament. This is assuming the donation is both legal and worthy for being a prize.

Furthermore, the winner will also be getting a nice new emblem, as seen below:

th_wifiemblem.png

About one week before the next tournament starts, I shall PM all participants. If I don't get a reply before the beginning date, they will be disqualified. This is of course used to avoid no-shows.

And when it finally does begin, I will post the pairings, and give trainers at least one week to post their results.

That said, behold! The lists:

Tournament 14 Pairings

Round One 4th Gen

Dark sandslash VS Lazn

Winner: Lazn

Dusknoirs VS Alakazam17

Winner: Dusknoirs

Radekal VS Mozarch4

Winner: Mozarch4

Free Rounds: Kepov, wonjoon0330, CowboyBrianine

Round Two 4th Gen

CowboyBrianine VS Mozarch4

Winner by Default: Mozarch4

Lazn VS wonjoon0330

Winner: Lazn

Free Rounds: Kepov, Dusknoirs

Round Three 4th Gen

Kepov VS Lazn

Winner by Default: Kepov

Mozarch4 VS Dusknoirs

Winner by Default: Dusknoirs

Round One 5th Gen

CowboyBrianine VS bigcj55

Winner by Default: CowboyBrianine

Venzeron VS OneofFour

Winner: OneofFour

PKMN Trainer Nick VS Doubles

Winner: PKMN Trainer Nick

Ooka VS TTC

Winner by Default: TTC

Dusknoirs VS Charizard_Man

Jimmyray VS Mozarch4

Winner: Mozarch4

BlyDX VS AleksanderU

Winner by Default: Bly DX

Musica VS man

Winner by Default: man

Impo VS FinalMaster

Winner by Default: FinalMaster

Free Round: wonjoon0330

Round Two 5th Gen

Mozarch4 VS Bly DX

Winner b Default: Bly DX

man VS FinalMaster

Winner by Default: FinalMaster

CowboyBrianine VS wonjoon0330

Winner by Default: CowboyBrianine

Dusknoirs VS TTC

OneofFour VS PKMN Trainer Nick

Winner: OneofFour

Round Three 5th Gen

Bly DX VS CowboyBrianine

Winner by Default: Bly DX

FinalMaster VS PKMN Trainer Nick

Both Disqualified

OneofFour VS Dusknoirs

And now, for some Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I get WiFi?

You will need a wireless router, and access to the Internet. So, chances are good that if you're able to view this page, you have Internet. Moreover, there is also a good chance that most of the people reading this have the router already. If not, you can pick it up at Radio Shack or Circuit City. I got mine for $30 CAN myself.

How does WiFi work anyways?

Wikipedia said:
A person with a Wi-Fi enabled device such as a pc, cell phone or PDA can connect to the Internet when in proximity of an access point. The region covered by one or several access points is called a hotspot. Hotspots can range from a single room to many square miles of overlapping hotspots. Wi-Fi can also be used to create a mesh network. Both architectures are used in community networks.[citation needed]

Wi-Fi also allows connectivity in peer-to-peer (wireless ad-hoc network) mode, which enables devices to connect directly with each other. This connectivity mode is useful in consumer electronics and gaming applications.

How does the WiFi work on Pokémon games?

Wikipedia said:
Diamond and Pearl employ support for the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, allowing players to trade, battle and communicate through voice chat online.[5] The main system for trade is the Global Trade Station trading system. This allows players to search for any Pokémon they have seen on a worldwide scale, with the resulting list showing people around the world who are willing to trade that Pokémon, as well as the Pokémon they want in return for it.[11] The trade does not have to be instant and an offer can be left for other players to browse and complete, even while the player is offline. Some centers serve different purposes - one allows the player to enter battles against friends over an internet connection, while another allows the player to enter the Pokémon Union, a chat room in which the player can communicate with others on the player's Friends List.[12]

How do I enter the Tournament?

Just post a reply to this thread during the registration period, saying that you are interested in joining. If the registration period is underway, it will be mentioned at the top of this post in big bolded letters. If it is not, then you will have to wait for the next one to begin.

I changed my account. Should I mention it here?

Simply put, yes. It can get confusing if someone is trying to get in touch with someone whose name is different than what I have listed here. >_>

Can I use [insert game version] moves?

You can use any moves that are obtainable in any game that is officially released in Japan.

Why are Ubers banned?

Well, all of the banned Pokemon are too powerful for serious competitive play. Therefore, no Ubers whatsoever.

[insert Pokémon] is not a legend! Why is it banned?

There are some Pokemon that are classified as Ubers by the vast majority, if not the entirety, of competitive Pokemon battlers, despite their non-legendary status. They are too powerful for serious competive play, so just don't use them.

Can 1 PLEASE use mi teem of haxed Pogeymanz and/or Uberz? com on, i m beggin u!!!!!!!!11111oneoneone

No.

I cannot get in contact with my opponent. What do I do?

Even with the precautions I put in above, we may still get a few no-shows. If you are unable to get in contact with your opponent, just post here saying so. If not, I may assume you are both no-shows, and take both of your names off the list.

My opponent and I can't find a time to battle that is convenient for us both. What do I do?

This is mostly going to be due to time zones if it occurs. I will now guarantee that the deadline for battle results will be more than a week, allowing you to get time on the weekend. Nonetheless, if you can't get results in by the deadline, you'll still be disqualified.

My opponent used hacks and/or Ubers. What do I do?

If you face one of these, please report it in this thread. Furthermore, if the opponent used hacked Pokemon, you should also report it to a moderator.

Hey, how can you be in your own tournament? What if I have a problem with you as a battler?

Any questions that arise as a result of a battle that I am participating in myself will be answered in two ways:

1) If it involves something already explained in this post(ie. use of Ubers/hacks, breaking Sleep Clause, etc), then said rule will be followed.

2) If it involves something a bit more complicated than that(ie. conflicting results) then Ooka will make any decisions as I would in cases that don't involve me.

What happens if we have an odd number of participants?

First off, an odd number is a whole number that, when halved, has a 5 after the decimal place(ie. 6/2=3 ; 5/2=2.5 ; 5 is odd, 6 is not).

So, if we have an odd number of people, we'll do one of three things. The first is allowing one person to skip the round. This person will be chosen randomly, starting among those who actually had a battle in the previous round.

The second option is a round robin. This will involve everybody battling everybody else once, with those with the most wins moving on. This will only be happening in the later rounds though, when there are a small amount of people remaining.

The third option is to allow one lucky loser from the previous round to proceed. This person will be chosen based on his or her losing score(ie. Jack loses 4-0 and Sue loses 2-0, so Sue would be the lucky loser in this case). If this results in a tie, then the person who lost their battle first will be the one moving on.

I thought Rule #8 is supposed to apply to me. Did you forget about that?

No, I didn't, as Rule #8 is fake. This is meant to scare away people who don't read the rules and/or want to bail out early. Chances are, if you are worried about Rule #8 then you had a good reason to be absent in the first place. And you've obviously read the rules, XD.

What if my battle ends in a draw?

Although rare, it is a possibility. If this happens in your tournament battle, both you and your opponent will be moving on.

Can I have my battle on Pokemon Battle Revolution?

I don't see why not. DS or Wii, with the same Pokemon, the results will be identical. So in other words, go ahead.

What if a DS turns off in mid-battle?

If this was done intentionally by one of the battlers, the winner will be the other person. Simple enough.

What if it wasn't intentional?

I'll leave this up to the battlers. If an obvious winner was in sight, then please say so. If not, you should have a rematch.

What are Pokemon anyways?

Seriously. If you are asking that sort of question.....Go away. Now.

Last edited:

Kuri-Chan ♪

Crystal Trainer
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2008
I would like to enter! By May 1st ALL my Pokemon have to be at least Lv. 50? ... Good Cheese. Or does it work differently?

Star Girl

Dragon Obsessed
Years
I would like to join the tournament. It will be a push with school to get them all up to level 50 but I should be able to do it.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
I think you should also add a minimum amount of Pokemon each participant can have. I say at least 3 for a fair battle.

Also, I'd like to join this tournament.

Too Star girl and Kuri-chan: There is a Wi-fi feature that automatically sets levels to 50/100 (the stats are calculated/estimated)

shadow rayquaza

ultima trainer
Years
hey, can I enter? I live in North America and all ready got my preorder for pokemon diamond also plan on beating game in less than a week.:D

Years
  • Seen May 30, 2007
I would like to enter! By May 1st ALL my Pokemon have to be at least Lv. 50? ... Good Cheese. Or does it work differently?
No, when you battle against other players there's an auto level balance feature that levels up/down you and your opponents pokemon to level 50 for the battle.

Paranoia

FC: 1375 3660 8982
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 2, 2014
Count me in please. Just why level 50, why not 100, when they can be boosted to level 100? Because I would like a dragonite on my team.

FFX383

Pokemon Master
Years
well put me in on it, yea and i think 100 is better, maby you could do 50 and 100 but really 100 is the more sensible thing to do imo.

Trainer Kat

→ voodoo jungle d r u m s;;
Years
I'm still in, of course. :]
Even though I'm gonna lose. xD I use Pokes that I like, not strong ones.
By the way, I don't know if you're going to allow him, but I'm pretty sure that T-Tar has been upgraded to uber status, seeing as his base attack is higher than Groudon's.
As much as I love the big brute, I am not going to use him, since I don't use ubers.

Kuri-Chan ♪

Crystal Trainer
Years
  • Seen Apr 28, 2008
Um... So if I have a Roselia that hasn't yet learned Toxic by level-up, when I battle on Wifi will it have Toxic? I'm a little bit confuzzled...

I don't think I'll have my team set up by May, to tell you the truth, but I'll try. >3

Years
Hiya well count me in also. Im REALLY going to try to set up the team by then since im buying the DS with the pokemon on may 2 or 3 sadly :(

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
Years
Well, if the majority of you would prefer 100, then let it be so.

I'd think Dragonite would be allowed at level 50 though, as he'd just go down in level. Moves should not change either, as far as I know. We'll all know more when the games come out on Sunday.

As for Tyranitar, yeah, he'd be allowed. He's still not a legendary. ^_^

And about getting ready....I for one will not have my best trained Pokemon available by then. That's something I'm saving for a future Tournament down the road. I assume it'll be the same case with most of you.

Last edited:
Back