• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Hey guys I had a quick question for you. It's more of an opinion-based question, but I was hoping to get some input from some of you.

I'm playing Crystal, and I'm just about to the lake of rage. I have a Dragonaire on my team, but I'm thinking of dropping it. Dragonite is great, but by the time I get to lvl 55 I'll have beaten all 16 gyms and the Dragonite won't be much use. Dragonaire isn't very good so I'm not sure I want to use it.

I'm looking at adding a flying type to my team. I don't like using a "fly slave" since I fly around so much, I prefer teaching fly to a permanent member of my team.

So, besides legendaries, what is a good flying pokemon to use? I was looking at either Crobat or Skarmory....good idea?

I would stick with Dragonite. By the time it DOES evolve as you say you'll have a good Pokemon to face "Red" and even so if you take some time and train Dragonair (depending on your patience) you can train it in Victory Road at least to level 50 and from there try to use it throughout most of the pokemon league and it should evolve before you reach the 9th badge.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
To add:

Obtaining Bulbasaur: Check the house next to the Pokémon Center in Cerulean City. (Not Celadon.) You can meet Melanie there, a girl at the very back of the room. If your Pikachu is at its happiest (try feeding him Potions, even when he's at full health), talk to her as soon as you can to receive Bulbasaur.

Obtaining Charmander: Go talk to Damian northwest of Nugget Bridge. Nothing special here, if I recall correctly.

Obtaining Squirtle: Beat Lt. Surge, then go talk to Officer Jenny in Vermilion City. She'll give Squirtle to you.

Naturally, for all three, you'll need an open space in your party to accept them.

.Iramet

Banned
Years
How can you replace the internal battery in Crystal?
I just found my game after ages, and I was in hysterics that's how happy I was, so I played for a b it then saved the game and went for dinner, I came back and the save file wasn't their.
Please respond.

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured out that you only need a watch battery, and the installation is quite easy.
^^

Last edited:
Years
Crystal Question:
In Crystal you introduce yourself to Oak at the start. Shouldn't this be Elm. Because when getting the Egg from Mr. Pokemon, you meet Oak for presumably the first time

I haven't thougt about that. But you'r right!

4lch3my

relatively unbeatable :D
Years
can i trade from gold to ruby????????????? please i foung my old mons from like when i was a kid and i love them to bits and wat em for my new games

Years
Nope, no trading from gold to ruby. It really sucks but ya. You can only trade within the GSC generation for the most part. You can trade back to RBY but only pokemon that existed in those games. So you can't trade a Tyranitar back to blue, for example.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
Years
How do I get bulbasaur in Yellow? I've tried whenever I play it, but the woman always says "It needs a good trainer to take care of it" any help would be greatly appreciated.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
How do I get bulbasaur in Yellow? I've tried whenever I play it, but the woman always says "It needs a good trainer to take care of it" any help would be greatly appreciated.

Buy a bunch of Potions from the store. Now, make sure you're already pretty close with Pikachu before going to her. (Winning battles, healing up, that sort of thing.) Now, go to Melanie (the woman in the house) and stand directly in front of her. Face Pikachu and keep feeding Potions to it, but be sure to talk to it after every one you give. When it starts jumping for joy, immediately turn to Melanie and talk to her. She should notice that your Pikachu is insanely happy and hand you Bulbasaur (providing you have space for it).

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Save transfer

Hi guys, i have a question. I have Gameboy Color and original Pokemon Yellow cartridge. I heard that battery runs out in many games, so i want to make backup of my save. Is that possible to transfer save with some tool, compatible with Game boy Color? Plz help :/

Oh yeah and it would be cool to resend save back to the game after trading pokemon in emulator :P

Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
Oh, i thought that there is some Gameshark that can do it, Pokemon are cruel :(

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
There is a tool, called the Mega Memory Card and manufactured by InterAct (who also made Gamesharks). The card can back up and restore saves for all GBC games.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
Years
Just wanted to ask here, since I haven't delved into the realms of Gen II for some time.

In conjuction with glithces in gen I and my old Crystal Pokémon (which are now on Blue) I want to make a new save on Crystal. Trouble is, the internal battery is dead. What I need to know basically is, should I replace the battery myself or buy a new cartridge from eBay or somewhere? I have found the instructions for replacing the battery and it doesn't sound too complicated, but I just wanted to ask what would be the best thing to do.

Years
Well if you're sure you can replace the battery and do it right, then go ahead and do it. Just realize that if you make a mistake, your game is going to be no good.

If you're not sure you can do it, then just get a new game. You can find Crystal on ebay for 15-20 bucks, and as long as you buy from a power seller it should work just fine. I got mine on there and it works perfectly.

.Iramet

Banned
Years
@Horizon:
Chances are, if you get one off of ebay, the internal battery will be dead.
You can easily put the battery in yourself, whth a small knife and screwdriver.

Neutrino

The Jelly-Stuff of legend...
Years
okay, this is my question, and it may ,make me sound stupid, but i'm gonna ask it anyway. on pkmn red, i'm having trouble catching zapdos. People have said you need to throw ultra balls or else it will miss. i am throwing ultra balls, and it still misses! people have also said you need to throw ultra balls and get it's health down low with a status condition. i did that with toxic right down to where it had one hp left! and the ultra balls still missed! and some people said that you need to catch it with a master ball, but when my sister was on her pokemon blue, she didn't use a master bal to catch it! help!

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
okay, this is my question, and it may ,make me sound stupid, but i'm gonna ask it anyway. on pkmn red, i'm having trouble catching zapdos. People have said you need to throw ultra balls or else it will miss. i am throwing ultra balls, and it still misses! people have also said you need to throw ultra balls and get it's health down low with a status condition. i did that with toxic right down to where it had one hp left! and the ultra balls still missed! and some people said that you need to catch it with a master ball, but when my sister was on her pokemon blue, she didn't use a master bal to catch it! help!
Keep tossing Ultra Balls. Sometimes they miss, sometimes they connect.

Also, sleep is more effective than poison.

Sesh

Subjectively Objective
Years
Like he said it's not always gonna work, and if you poison it you're limiting your time ESPECIALLY when you use toxic as it worsens every turn. Just save before you fight it and keep trying, and DON'T get discouraged.

Callandor

ughhh....
Years
Okay, I have two questions.

First: Does anyone know a working mew glitch for the Blue verson. I've heard of alot of them, but most just screw your game up or don't work. Also not sure if I am aloud to ask this.

Second: For Crystal, how do you find the Rock Smash TM. I feel like screaming form how hard it is.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back