• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Shiny Pokémon

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Generation II added shiny Pokémon, which were essentially the same as normal Pokémon, except with a different colour and they sparkled when they appeared. These were very rare and only appeared when the Pokémon had certain IVs. So do like shiny Pokémon? Have you ever obtained a shiny Pokémon (besides the Gyarados) in these games? Which shiny did you want the most?

Discuss!

Spr_2c_218.gif

I'm a Slugma~

Years
Aside from the Shiny Gyarados, I never caught any other shiny Pokemon in Gold, and I only managed to find one other. It was a Teddiursa (I believe I found it just south of Blackthorn), but it was a much lower level than the rest of my party. Even though I sent out my weakest Pokemon to face it, I still knocked it out with my weakest move. I didn't feel too bad, since I figured that shinies were semi-common (found it just a day or two after my shiny Gyarados), but little did I know I wouldn't find another shiny for 5 years.

Guest123_x1

I really liked the idea of 'shiny' Pokémon when I first heard of the concept. Apart from Red Gyarados, I only encountered a shiny once, in Silver. Unfortunately, I didn't capture it, partly because I didn't notice an all-that-different coloration, and I didn't know what the 'clickclickclickclickclick' was all about.

Shadowraze

ur mum
Years
Well, I never really caught a Shiny Pokemon in Generation II. (Except for Gyarados ofc)

Idk, but it seems easier to get shinies in the newer generations.

Years
  • NY
  • Seen Aug 14, 2015
I've never actually seen another shiny besides the Gyarados. I'm never very lucky with percent chances to see a pokemon. I always hoped I'd get absurdly lucky and find a shiny legendary. Ho-oh looks pretty awesome as a shiny in my opinion.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
I only ever saw a shiny Raticate that I failed to catch other that the Red Gyarados. I totally argewe that newer games are easier to get shiny pokemon in.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
Years
I've had a few shinies. Only one in Gen II, other than the Gyarados. I managed to find a shiny Gligar south of Blackthorn City. I knew it was a rare pokemon just because of the sparkles that happened when I ran into it, I did end up catching it. I like how in Gen II when you ran into a shiny, you knew that it would be stronger than most of the other pokes that you encountered. Since the DVs had to be so high. (in Gen II they were DVs, in Gen III and after they're known as IVs)

Years
I remember hatching a shiny from that egg the day care couple gave you in Crystal... if memory serves, it was a shiny Cleffa? Never understood what that meant though so I have no idea what happened to it. @_@;

Really wanted a shiny Butterfree though. It reminded me of the pink one from the anime!

Years
  • Seen Oct 21, 2023
the only shinies i ever got apart from the gyarados was a shiny zubat in union cave and a shiny cleffa from the day care couples egg

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
I really liked the idea of shiny Pokémon. I remember having a shiny Golem, and then cloning it heaps of times. I would've liked a shiny Vaporeon, or a shiny Butterfree, especially seeing as that trainer mentioned on at the Lake of Rage.

.hack

skunkape
Years
I had a shiny Hitmonlee and my friend had a shiny pigeot. On crystal I hatched so many charmanders trying to get a shiny with no luck :/

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
I had a shiny Togepi (Elm's), as well as a shiny Magby and a shiny Sentret. I never raised them, though. They looked so awesome :p
But I wanted my starter to be shiny. But no matter how many times I soft reseted. That never happened...

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I caught a shiny Krabby and Drowzee in Crystal, and saw a Nidorina but had no Poke Balls. I didn't even know they were shiny until a couple years later, all I knew was that they were different/unique so I had to catch them lol.

Years
I had a shiny Golbat that I found on Victory Road. I didn't know that shiny Pokemon were ridiculously rare and I knocked it out on accident when I encountered it. Thinking it was like a Legendary Pokemon, I reloaded my last save and went back to look for it in the same area....and I encountered it again....and proceeded to knock it out a second time. I found it a third time and finally caught.

Haven't seen a shiny since then. Guess fortune is no longer shining on me. :P

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
I liked the idea of shiny Pokemons, it seems something showy to be exhibited trophy in spite of most of the Pokemon's shiny color doesn't please me very much. Except the Red Gyarados, I have encountered shiny Pokemon three times by now. I like few of the shiny palette colour, and as example I could mention the Black Charizard, Red Gyarados, Pink Swampert and Green Salamence.

Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2013
Generation 2 brought me the best and worst luck of any game. The very first shiny I encountered was Phanpy on my Silver version, which would erase any save data after turning the game off. Back then I had no idea what a shiny was, though, I just thought the Phanpy that emerged sparkling was really cool. Later on, I had just caught Lugia in Crystal version but used all of my Poke Balls on it, went fishing without buying more, and found a shiny Krabby. The first shiny I managed to capture was Venonat in the Bug Catching Contest. It lost to a Metapod in the judging part, though.

Tatodoc21

Emblem Trainer
Years
I've encountered and raised a shiny trapinch, then my sister found a shiny swablu and fled..... I also found a shiny tentacool and raised it to tentacruel.

Munchlax11

Munch?
Years
  • Age 26
  • USA
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
I remember finding a shiny sentret. This was only a few years ago on a replay of the game. So it was early in the game and I couldn't save because the internal battery died or something like that :/

Back