• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Uber ladder sucks (Featuring Infernape, peaked at #35)

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Crobatrulez20 here, presenting his newest RMT. I managed to get into top 100 using a starter that is normally completely outclassed by Mega Blaziken, Ho-oh and Reshiram.

PEAKS:
Spoiler:

(By the way, ilikepriority1 is one of my alts. Notice how this team has three Pokemon with priority moves: Mega Scizor with Bullet Punch, Arceus with ExtremeSpeed and Infernape with Mach Punch.)

The team at a glance
tyranitar.gif
scizor-mega.gif
infernape.gif
palkia.gif
arceus.gif
ho-oh.gif

tyranitar.gif
giratina-origin.gif
infernape.gif
palkia.gif
arceus.gif
scizor.gif

So this is what I had at first. Kyogre was covered by Palkia, while Tyranitar could handle Mega Mewtwo Y. I used this team until I hit 1300-1350 rating and I got stuck there. Giratina-O was my defogger, but eventually I realized it didn't really fit onto my team, as it had no reliable recovery move and was set up fodder for the extremely dangerous Xerneas, who can take a LO Bullet Punch and was able to sweep my team once it got to +2 if Scizor was dead.

tyranitar.gif
lugia.gif
infernape.gif
palkia.gif
493-ghost.png
scizor.gif

Tried Lugia over Giratina-O, as it could live a +2 Moonblast and phaze Xerneas out, as well as counter Extreme Killer Arceus if it didn't have Shadow Force. Used Arceus-Ghost over EKiller so I could spinblock and still have a good chance at sweeping. However, I found out that Arceus-Ghost lacked STAB on ExtremeSpeed and had no way to get past Yveltal, who was now very dangerous to this team as it could OHKO Tyranitar with Focus Blast and the only Pokemon who could take care of it were Infernape with CB Flare Blitz and Palkia, who couldn't switch into Yveltal at all (especially since Palkia was holding a Lustrous Orb at that time).

tyranitar.gif
gengar-mega.gif
infernape.gif
palkia.gif
arceus.gif
scizor.gif

As such, I decided to replace Lugia with Mega Gengar and Extreme Killer Arceus returned on my team. This team was more successful now, since Mega Gengar is an awesome trapper with Shadow Tag and Destiny Bond, especially with its insane Special Attack and great base Speed which allows it to outspeed Darkrai and Shaymin-S.
However, I found out that Mega Gengar had to rely on Destiny Bond to get past opposing EK Arceus, since Focus Miss has a crappy 70% accuracy and can only OHKO Arceus at ~60%. So, I decided to replace Mega Gengar with a Ho-oh, in order to have a special wall, a wallbreaker and a phazer all in one. Since Ho-oh absolutely requires Defog support, I decided to change my Scizor's item from Life Orb to Scizorite and replaced Swords Dance with Defog.

tyranitar.gif
scizor-mega.gif
infernape.gif
palkia.gif
arceus.gif
ho-oh.gif

tyranitar.gif

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Atk / 176 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Payback
- Low Kick
- Stone Edge

Tyranitar is a great special wall, able to set up Stealth Rock and heavily damage many Uber threats thanks to its great base attack. Payback is used here as Tyranitar is very slow and thus Payback can have 100BP most of the time. Low Kick is for Ferrothorn, Dialga, Arceus-Rock and some Groudon, while Stone Edge handles Ho-oh.

scizor-mega.gif

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Scizor is mainly here to check Xerneas, Extreme Killer Arceus, Mega Kangaskhan, Mewtwo (without Fire Blast) and Yveltal. Defog is necessary for this team, as Ho-oh is 4x weak to it, especially since this team uses sand and Ho-oh has a Life Orb. Knock Off can handle some walls that love their lefties, as well as Sableye and Chansey. Roost allows it to Defog multiple times in a match and keep Ho-oh alive, which is invaluable. Bullet Punch and Superpower allow Mega Scizor to do its main job.

infernape.gif

Infernape @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Sleep Talk
- Mach Punch

Infernape normally is outclassed in Ubers, since (Mega) Blaziken is much stronger and has the ability Speed Boost, while Ho-Oh and Reshiram are a lot bulkier and stronger than this monkey, although they are slower (that stupid 90 speed). However, Infernape doesn't need to rely on Protect, meaning it can hit setup sweepers and 90 or 100 base speed pokemon on the first turn, unlike Blaziken. This means it can put the hurt on Xerneas before it sets up a Geomancy. Sleep Talk trolls Darkrai, who can otherwise be a huge threat to this team, while Mach Punch handles most Pokemon in the red range (<25%).

palkia.gif

Palkia @ Assault Vest / Lustrous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Fire Blast
- Thunder
- Spacial Rend

I seriously don't know which item should I use, but I think Assault Vest is better since it allows Palkia to switch into Kyogre all day and laugh at it. Other than that, remember Palkia can hit 10 of the 18 types super effectively (DO NOT COMPARE IT TO ELECTIVIRE PLEASE) and get perfect neutral coverage. SO PLEASE STOP USING THE CHOICE SCARF SET, IT SUCKS.

arceus.gif

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Force

Do I even need to explain this one? Shadow Force > Shadow Claw since this move allows EK Arceus to get past Lugia and Giratina with the help of Stealth Rock.

ho-oh.gif

Ho-Oh @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Whirlwind Substitute / Earthquake / Tailwind

Ho-oh is used on this team mainly to spread burn and stop Nasty Plot Darkrai, Mega Kangaskhan trying to set up with Power-Up Punch and act as a second Xerneas check if Scizor is dead. Even with Regenerator, Ho-oh desperately needs Roost, since it's 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Currently I'm testing Sub Ho-oh with a Sharp Beak, as this move protects it from status and Sharp Beak allows the phoenix to hit almost as hard as it would hit with a LO. 208 HP are used for 101HP substitutes.

Please do not suggest the following:
- Replacing Infernape
- Replacing Tyranitar with Groudon. Yes, I realize that Ho-oh and Infernape would really like to hit even harder with their Fire-type move and (in the case of Ho-oh) wall some Water-type moves, such as Palkia's Hydro Pump. However, I actually tried Groudon over TTar and found out it was a free invitation for Kyogre and Gengar to switch in and destroy it. Not only that, but if I'd replace Tyranitar with Groudon, Ho-oh would become an enormous threat to this team, since it actually walls Palkia in the sun unless I'd decide to replace Hydro Pump with Stone Edge or something, which would be a waste since Stone Edge as a coverage move is usually for Ho-oh and nothing else (this works best on Reshiram). Honestly, Mega Scizor already tanks physical attacks pretty well, while Tyranitar can take a Choice Scarf Surf from Kyogre, a Draco Meteor from Kyurem-W, can completely stop Ho-oh and Reshiram and get rid of them, something Groudon can only dream of.
- Leftovers on Ho-oh

So what did we learn from this? The uber ladder... *puts on sunglasses*
defines stupidity.

Last edited:
Years
scarf palkia doesnt suck
roost>superpower
mgengar traps ur sciz and xern sweeps as long as it avoids the rk from ekiller

im ♥♥♥♥ at ubers tho, sweep will eventually give you a better rate

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Mega Scizor can't check EK Arceus reliably at all without Superpower. Arceus would just set up on it, while Bullet Punch does about 30%. And a +2 Arceus can be very threatening if it's not into the KO range of my own Arceus's ExtremeSpeed. Superpower on the other hand clocks in over 70%, which is just enough for my own Arceus to revenge kill it if the opposing "god of all Pokemon" gets past Mega Scizor.

Years
1. Always speed creep Tyranitar to deal with other Tyranitar, even if you only invest 12-16 speed EV's.

2. Agreed with Moxie, Defog Scizor needs Roost to ensure that your Ho-Oh can stay alive. You will need your Ho-Oh to deal with CM Arceus formes, and it cannot check them effectively if SR is on the field ! Knock Off is more of a luxury move than anything, especially in a metagame where Lati@s do not exist and Aegislash is quite rare.

3. I normally dislike Assault Vest on Palkia, as Leftovers Rest sets are generally more effective in this metagame, but it's necessary on this team to beat other Palkia 1-1 and switch into Kyogre multiple times.

4. Whirlwind is terrible on offensive Ho-Oh, you are better off running Substitute to block status and ease prediction or even Tailwind to help facilitate a sweep by either Ho-Oh or one of its teammates.

5. Cool team, and +1 on the state of the PS Ubers ladder. Weaknesses to this team include a well-played Kyogre, sand rush Excadrill (they are not too rare), 3 attacks MMY, and Calm Mind Electric Arceus. Toxic Tyranitar can help vs the CM Arceus formes that Ho-Oh cannot deal with, but would require sacrificing Payback. CM Arceus is fairly rare on the ladder though so you can probably get away without it :).

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
Years
Mega Scizor: Roost > Knock Off.
Ho-oh: Will definitely replace Whirlwind, currently I'm testing a 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe spread with Sub and a Sharp Beak.
Tyranitar: Honestly, that thing is pretty rare from my experience (I've battled a sand team only once in the 1500+s)

Back