• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

6th Gen New Abilities Speculation Thread!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
If it was an exclusive ability to like one Pokémon I guess that would be cool. I mean they can take the Dragon attacks from things like Garchomp or Haxorus, but if they were weak to other common types I guess it'd balance out. Acts as a hard Dragon move counter, but that's really it, since it can still get hit by whatever else.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I could somewhat see it fitting in with Ice-types but I'm not sure how it'd work...

Unless it swaps the dragons respective attack/special attack stats with its own?? That'd be an awesome way to shut them down lmao.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Derk, I could see an ability like Insulation maybe? I don't know if that really pertains to Electric or Water but it could work for some type =P

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Yeah that'd be a welcome change. It's pretty much useless as a move, and having it as an ability definitely wouldn't break anything so why not?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I just thought of something: Since Thick Fat is an ability that lowers Fire and Ice Damage, what about an ability that lowers Electric and Water, or something related to that? Forgive me if this has been suggested already, I kind of just skimmed this page of the thread. :x

Hmmm I think I'd call it Conduction. I mean it is conducting electricity and reducing it...!

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
Also, would it be OP to make an ability exclusively to a specific Ghost-type Pokemon of this generation that makes them immune to moves that require physical contact? :x Seeing as you can't really touch Ghosts, I feel that this would be an interesting add-on~!

Very much so. As much as this kind of makes sense, you are now kind of making it invincible to half of the attackers that can hit it. Maybe if it had a very low Special Defense stat so it attacked as more of a glass cannon kind of thing that'd be okay I guess? Maybe if anything that had this ability had dual-typing that made it weak to common special attack types then it's Special Defense could be higher?

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I've been waiting for a special Intimidate for awhile now, and I'm surprised we haven't seen it yet. So yes, I'd love to see it!

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I want that ability, just so I can hack it onto a Blissey for use in my illegitimate Subway runs (or the 6th gen equivalent, but whatever). :P

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Also, would it be OP to make an ability exclusively to a specific Ghost-type Pokemon of this generation that makes them immune to moves that require physical contact? :x Seeing as you can't really touch Ghosts, I feel that this would be an interesting add-on~!
I don't think it'd make it too overpowered! I mean, rock would still be okay, other damaging attacks like EQ would too. It'd literally only affect touching the ghosts, so anything else aimed at ghosts could be used (which I assume is the only way to make it not really overpowered).

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
I thought of another possible ability! What about one that makes 2-turn attacks into one turn? Like Solarbeam, Sky Attack, things of that nature?

Err, spamming 120 base power moves with 100% accuracy doesn't sound particularly pleasant to me =x Definitely would be overpowered in my opinion =P

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
My personal opinion on an ability like that is how niche it is. It's such a specific type of move that I wouldn't particularly find it useful. Also I have to agree with Jake, giving a 120+ base power move no charge up that is there for a reason could be ridiculously overpowered. Obviously we'd have to see it in action to see if it's even that bad. My first view is that an ability like that being added to the game wouldn't actually matter too much because it won't be that useful in the first place. So balancing might not be an issue.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years
The difference is that Brave Bird has recoil damage, where firing off things like Sky Attack have no recourse at all. They hit for 120 power all the time, without the chance to miss. Things like Hydro Pump, Fire Blast, Stone Edge, and Focus Blast can all miss (and tend to all the time =P). Giving moves like that absolutely no recourse (and I'd assume this would mean Hyper Beam and Giga Impact wouldn't have to recharge either) would just be way too strong.

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
Years
Sky Attack has 140 Base Power and 90% accuracy. Regardless,

Fire Blast and Hydro Pump have that trade-off that as far as I'm concerned was a huge deal when I first joined competitive. That lowered accuracy actually made people pickup Surf or Flamethrower instead because of the prior two missing too often. That's why those moves are balanced in comparison to the 100% accuracy SolarBeam. Sky Attack gets that extra 20 base power for a 10% accuracy decrease though, essentially balancing it further.

I don't think it would be broken, again, because of how little it actually affects. I can't imagine pokemon like Lilligant getting it, but maybe something that doesn't really have anything else going for it, you know? Kind of like how Prankster was given to really bad pokemon that basically serve just that purpose (Sableye / Whimsicott / Volbeat)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah I see it as an ability that bad Pokemon could have (or good ones that are uber already). Maybe something like Shaymin-Sky, as it could learn Solarbeam and Sky Attack to suit that, etc (idk if it does, but it could be done by move tutor). I don't think normal mons would get it really.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I hope they make an exclusive ability for the Psuedo legendary. Maybe something like that Special version of intimidate.

What about an intimidate that lowers defenses?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Defense lowering Intimidate... ya could work. Especially if only Pokemon that are really fast had it imo, so it could strike back hard. Useless on a special attacker, ofc.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Hmm it could also work on like weaker attackers... kind of like Alomomola or something that could really benefit from it, although it'd lose its useful ability so idk.

Back