• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Second Generation Music Awards [VOTING]

Which is your favorite music from 2nd gen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024

2nd Generation
Music Awards
Introduction
Hello all, and welcome to Second Generation's Music Awards! Second Generation has gorgeous, nostalgic, 8-bit music throughout its games. I'm curious to hear what the PokéCommunity's favorite Second Generation video game track is! There is no specific theme for this, so you're able to nominate any music track from Second Generation.

How this works
You're free to nominate any one of your favorite tracks, or any other track that you think deserved the spotlight! After the nomination period, the next phase will be voiting. Every track that has been nominated will be up for a vote! Everyone can vote for a maximum of two tracks. In the end, which ever track has the most votes, will be declared the winner!

Prizes
The winning track will be:
  • Featured in the Second Generation's Splash
  • Given publicity on the Twitter page
  • Given publicity on the Facebook page

Timeline
  • Nominations: May 9th - May 16th
  • Voting: May 17th - May 24th
  • Winner declared: May 24th

Nomination Form
[b]Nominee:[/b] Name of the track
[b]Link to Video:[/b] Link or embed a video of your track!
[b]Why:[/b] Explain to the voters why you chose this track!

Last edited:

Bisharp

Whoa.. up close and personal..!
Years
Although I've never played Gen 2, I at least have listened to the OST, so here's mine--

Nominee: Ruins of Alph
Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q3In5i8rlA
Why: I like this track mainly because it conveys the message of the location really well - you're in the spooky remains of some sort of forgotten temple left behind in the ancient times. The music itself gives a really cryptic feel to it without being too scary. It honestly sounds like something you'd hear in a demake of Tomb Raider. It fills you with the sense of mystery and adventure -- but not the pure kind you'd get in other areas of a Pokemon game. No, it gives you the feeling that something's... not quite right.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Nominee: National Park
Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XjouKSkSeM
Why: I actually only recently played gen II's lineup. I remember being blown away by the 8-bit symphonies of sound. I was very impressed with the music as well as the game in general. And then, I entered the National Park for the first time. At that moment, I was sold. This piece of music is in my opinion the best that a Pokemon game has ever offered. It just feels perfect to listen to. The notes react and overlap each other so beautifully. You don't don't just feel like you're visiting a park. When this music plays, it feels like you're strolling through the park of your dreams.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
Years
Nomimee: Route 38, 39
Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IwmpPzajyw
Why: I find it fairly difficult to make a pick on this. I do not have a clear favorite when it comes to a favorite OST. I went for this pick because for me, it is one of the most memorable tunes. It sounds really adventurous and I contribute most of this to the galloping beat.

Initially I wanted to go for Goldenrod City, but I favour the HG/SS track more because the shuffle of it adds a lot to it, but I think this only counts for the GBC game.

Last edited:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
!! I love Gen II music, how can you only make me nominate one? T_T

Nominee: First Stepts in Kanto (Route 26/27)
Link to Video: video
Why: My first possible nominee was Dark Cave. I find that one of the most special and notable soundtracks of the game. I wanted to give every soundtrack a chance, though, so I went through them to fairly decide which one I'd nominate. My other possible nominee was the Johto Gym Leader theme, but I decided to go for this one. I can vaguely remember the first time I was headed towards Kanto, but what I remember clearly is taking that first step into a new world and hearing this music. This is the most memorable music for me out of this game and I always stay here longer than I need to just to bathe in the feeling of 'new, unknown world' that this OST gives me. Easily my favourite part in the game, even if it's just a route towards the League.

blue

gucci
Years
Nominee: New Bark Town
Link to video: https://youtu.be/D0j9AOEhzO8
Why: It just defines nostalgia for me as it was the real start to when I properly got into Pok?mon. While I did start with Blue version, I don't think I fully grasped the concept until playing through Silver for the first time, and I enjoyed the second generation far more than I did the first.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 22, 2017

Link to Video: video
Why: My first possible nominee was Dark Cave. I find that one of the most special and notable soundtracks of the game. I wanted to give every soundtrack a chance, though, so I went through them to fairly decide which one I'd nominate. My other possible nominee was the Johto Gym Leader theme, but I decided to go for this one. I can vaguely remember the first time I was headed towards Kanto, but what I remember clearly is taking that first step into a new world and hearing this music. This is the most memorable music for me out of this game and I always stay here longer than I need to just to bathe in the feeling of 'new, unknown world' that this OST gives me. Easily my favourite part in the game, even if it's just a route towards the League.

Awesome!!

Years
Nominee: Route 30
Link to Video:

Why: This was the music of one of the earlier routes in Johto and I'm sure you all have great memories of it. Whilst it wasn't the sountrack that played when you first stepped out into the world, for me it signals the start of my adventure in Johto, as I took on trainers and journeyed to Mr Pokemon's house; it's such a good tune as well!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
oh my god what an amazing event idea. I LOVE the 2nd gen music, as it was in gen 2! I prefer almost every track to their 4th gen versions. And there are SO many to choose from, but there are a few I just love more than the rest.

Nominee: Lucky Channel / Game Corner
Link to Video:

Why: Frankly, for being in a pok?mon game, this one is just AMAZING. Have you heard anything as catchy and dramatic and upbeat and chill at the same time? I used to turn on this radio channel just to listen to this music when I was walking through routes with more generic music, haha. Great use of the sounds in the current technology too, with the different pitches and uses of "percussion". This makes your trek feel like an adventure!

Mystelex

Link to Video:

Why: The track plays in one of the most rural regions in Johto. It gives me the vibe of happiness and feels like the people living there are happy. The track gives good vibes, yep.

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Is that a mistake? This is Second Generation's Music Awards so logically the winning track should be featured in the Second Generation's Splash.

Should be all good now. It's originally from the same event I ran for Fourth Generation, and I thought I caught all instances of it but I seem to have missed that one! Thanks for catching it!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Nominee: Game Corner/Lucky Channel
Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Mae4i6t-0&t=199s
Why: This theme is really catchy and upbeat! I turn on the lucky radio station in nearly every spot when I get bored of the music. It makes me feel like I'm really out in a big city exploring things. I get nostalgic whenever I hear this theme.
I already nominated that one! You prove already that there's more supporters for it :D Let's make it win haha

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Great contest idea!

Nominee: National Park
Link to Video: *video*
Why: I actually only recently played gen II's lineup. I remember being blown away by the 8-bit symphonies of sound. I was very impressed with the music as well as the game in general. And then, I entered the National Park for the first time. At that moment, I was sold. This piece of music is in my opinion the best that a Pokemon game has ever offered. It just feels perfect to listen to. The notes react and overlap each other so beautifully. You don't don't just feel like you're visiting a park. When this music plays, it feels like you're strolling through the park of your dreams.
National Park is one I expected to be already nominated, haha. It is certainly a beautiful piece. It's also a tune I can play on my keyboard! (A simple version of it mind, heh.)

Great choice here. This is an underrated tune imo, as it fits so well to it. Suddenly you're on your way to Victory Road (although these routes I would argue are effectively Victory Road) and in a new region at the same time, and the moment you land on the other side of that pond to be told about being in Kanto to that music... Fantastic.
oh my god what an amazing event idea. I LOVE the 2nd gen music, as it was in gen 2! I prefer almost every track to their 4th gen versions. And there are SO many to choose from, but there are a few I just love more than the rest.

Nominee: Lucky Channel / Game Corner

Why: Frankly, for being in a pokémon game, this one is just AMAZING. Have you heard anything as catchy and dramatic and upbeat and chill at the same time? I used to turn on this radio channel just to listen to this music when I was walking through routes with more generic music, haha. Great use of the sounds in the current technology too, with the different pitches and uses of "percussion". This makes your trek feel like an adventure!
This is indeed amazing! Another underrated tune. Pokemon tends to have good tunes for these areas, so it sucks extra we have no more Game Corners. =( I particularly like the part that follows the loop before the whole song repeats.
Nominee: Vs. Rival

Why: A very catchy and epic theme; probably one of the best rival themes out there in general imo, and makes battling your rival in the games so epic and seemingly down tot he wire.
If I had to pick a battle theme from gen 2 it would probably be this one.
Nominee: Azalea Town/Blackthorn City
Why: The track plays in one of the most rural regions in Johto. It gives me the vibe of happiness and feels like the people living there are happy. The track gives good vibes, yep.
Ack, and this was the tune I would have likely picked! It may not be the most complex tune but it sure fits the setting, and is rather nostalgic in particular.

I think it says something that I can quote all these and yet not be sure which tune to nominate. =( Hmm... Someone mentioned Dark Cave so let's go with that, it is a nice tune.

Nominee: Dark Cave/Ice Path
Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqmIkCYOSM

Why: It fits a cave environment rather well I think, and has a nice duality to its tune, such as with the background repeating notes for most of it, along with the middle section where first the two parts combine and then later sort of 'takes turns' (0:57 for example). The screech sound also seems to 'wobble' which is a nice touch. Especially fitting for when you are a) struggling around in Dark Cave without Flash, and b) in Ice Path trying to solve those ice puzzles for the first time.

Honourable mentions: Eusine Theme, Legendary Beast Battle Theme, GSC Title Screen Theme (not the intro movie!), S.S. Aqua Theme.

tokyodrift

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Just a few more hours to get in your submissions!

Back