• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Graphics.

3D Graphics good or Bad?

• Good

Votes: 103 88.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Dosen't Matter

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
Years
  • Seen Jan 9, 2014
What do you think the art style will be like?

Now, for me, Unova's Pokemon were probably the most notably different, I don't really know why. Don't get me wrong, I love most of the designs of the 5th Gen Pokemon, but they seemed sort of foreign to me... So I was thinking, based on the starters we have seen, I feel like the 6th Generation of Pokemon games will look more like the older games, while still incorporating some of the new design features that we saw in Black and White, as to keep progressing. But no one really knows right now, so speculation time! What do you think these games will most resemble, design-wise?

Years
  • Seen Aug 19, 2023
Design wise, It looks like a nerfed version of Ni No Kuni Designs. And by that i mean the players.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Graphic wise, it looks like it's all cel-shaded and it really reminds me of the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games and looking at Ni No Kuni I agree with The_CGC.
The art style wise looking at the artwork of the legendarys and starters, it looks like Ken Sugimori is gonna retain his normal style. It really reminds me like a mix of Gen IV and Gen V design-wise. The male protagonist reminds me of a mix of Hilbert ,Nate and Lucas's Platinum design. And the female protagonist sort of reminds me of Leaf. Still I don't see any real change in art-design.

PoisonEmeralds

Rookie ROM Hacker
Years
I feel a huge discussion with this generation is going to be the progression of the graphics in the series thus far. Personally, I love them. It just seemed like a natural advancement to me. However, what do you think? Hit or miss?
Well we're getting 3D models now which means sprites are abolished :(

I would like to see more from the graphics before I make up my mind, but it looks interesting, that is for sure.

:::EDIT:::

For anyone who wants to see it again:
It kind of resembles final fantasy... Like the way the graphics are.... anyone else agree? or is it just me :s

Last edited:

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
how will the 3DS effect the pokedex display?

alright just a quick note to the mods, this shouldn't be confused with the other pokedex thread. that one was asking about numbers, this one talks about the display. so yeah, no need to lock this.

in all the past gens, the pokedex was roughly the same each time. you would scroll up and down and see a pokemon's sprite, however, in X and Y the pokemon battles will be in 3D. do you think the in game pokedex will change to be like pokedex 3D? or do you think they'll make sprites or artwork for the pokedex like this one shown in the trailer?
chespin.jpg

discuss!

EDIT: huh? why was it moved here?

Last edited:

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
Years
  • Age 22
  • Nah
  • Seen Feb 28, 2017
Oh my god, that would be perfect! I don't know why, but those old PokeDex bore me, the Pokedex 3D I bought in Eshop looks way better. So I hope they do an improvement on the pokedex.

pokefangames

Sinor Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 29, 2013
3D Graphics - Good/Bad

When I first saw the announcement, I thought it was sorta cool how they did the 3D Graphics for the 3DS. But I have to wander, is it going to receive the same kind of reception as Pokemon Colllosium or Pokemon XD? I personally thought Pokemon XD was cool because of the fact it was in 3D. but what do you think, 3D Graphics good or bad?

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
It was long overdue for the main games for some time now if you ask me, especially since we're at a point where a handheld can really handle it.

As much as I was expecting Colosseum and XD style graphics for the first 3D adventure(even if it wasn't this gen), I'd actually prefer that stay to spin offs, at least for the time being. The cel-shading look they're using helps to keep that cartoon-y feel Pokemon has had/should have.

Tl;dr I love the 3D, just waiting to see the final product.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I actually thought X&Y looked like Colosseum and XD. Some cell-shading here and there doesn't change much for me.

Personally, I'm all for 3D graphics like in Colosseum and XD, and that's what I see here, at least when it comes to the overworld. My only gripe with Colosseum/XD that has anything to do with 3D graphics is with the battle animations: they take freaking forever! But from what I see in the trailer, they fixed that, so now I have absolutely no problem with the games being in 3D.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
What real similarity is there aside from them being 3D and little bits of the battling animations we've seen?

I've watched the X & Y trailer countless times already and have played Colosseum and XD to death(they are among my favorite spin off series, only second to Mystery Dungeon) and I don't see where all of this similarity is coming from.

About the only thing that I'd say even comes somewhat close, from what we've been shown so far, is how the building in the desert area in the trailer reminds me of Realgam Tower. Everything else is completely different and we're still stuck with 4 directions it seems.

Guy

just a guy
Years
With the new short trailer showing off Sylveon in battle, I can safely say that I'm absolutely loving the new 3D battle graphics. It certainly gives the battles more depth. Seeing more of the older Pokémon being used, I don't even miss the pixel animation. Actually, I'm glad they've moved forward from them now.

Years
I'm glad Game Freak have finally moved onto 3D graphics. Kind of feels like a 3DS Colosseum or XD, and I like that. Especially the battles! :)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
Eh, as a spriter myself I can't help but feel a bit disappointed by the end of sprites. I mean, it was inevitable, but a bit sad, that the sprites would go sooner or later.

Unfortunately, though, the 3D doesn't even look adequate. The male protagonist looks like he's wearing a bucket on his head due to shoddy, low-res meshes, the anti-aliasing is just plain atrocious, and the frame rate is poor.

This is especially bad because the 3DS already proved with games such as Ocarina 3D that it can handle adequate 3D graphics.

Last edited:

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
That battle scene with Sylveon was amazing. And its not even final footage! With some work this game is gonna look and feel perfect, and I can only assume the OW is going to rock. Best part is that legendaries likely won't be small sprites, but huge lumbering beasts, awaiting your challenge, like it epically should be.

jov0006

Beygimon! Gotta let it rip!
Years
3D Puzzle Speculation

I presume the 3D will be present outside of graphics (I hope) so maybe we should have something similar to professor layton and the miracle mask where the 3D actually has a purpose other than graphics. What types of 3D use should there be in you opinion?

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
All hail the graphics!

I saw a video for this game. The graphics have improved a longshot since Black 2 and White 2. I noticed the character's heights are bigger too. The 3D looks great aswell. Do you agree?

PS. What is the meaning of that Duskull on the post icons?!

Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2013
I think the graphics look great!

Its a huge step from the black & white games.

blue

gucci
Years
Judging from the trailer we saw with Sylveon, it seems the graphics have already began to improve on that Battle Scene we saw compared the one in January. Although it may not be much difference, it's still an improvement which makes it more promising for the outcome by October.

Inky

:pleading_face:
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen today
Whilst I'll definitely try the game out once it's released, I can't say I'm a fan of the way they're approaching the graphics this time around. Hopefully it looks better when actually playing the game.

Back