• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] [Java] [WIP] Abimon, a new Beginning

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
[Java] Abimon, a new Beginning

Abimon, a new beginning

Hello, and welcome to the new thread for Abimon, a new beginning! This game is the first in the Abimon series (hence the name), and as such, more Abimon games will be made, later though.

Ok, so first off, from the thread name, you should have guessed what program-thing we are using, Java! For those of you who don't know what Java is,
Spoiler:

So we know what Abimon is being developed in, now, what is it?????

Abimon is -
Written in Java
Using the English Language, however more languages will eventually be supported
Currently using Pokémon with some edits

Ok, so what about the features?
Stamina
Spoiler:

Many transport options - Such as motorcycles, bikes, bus, car, train, plane, etc
A unique "battle" system, similar to the anime contests -
Spoiler:

Mystery Gift - We have a website, a bad one at that, which will host MG files.
OTS (Online Trade System) - You will need to set this up yourselves
OBS (Online Battle System) - You will need to set this up yourselves
Multiplayer worlds - You will need to set this up yourselves - By this, I mean, you will need to set up your own personal server, but we'll provide software (eventually)
Team Shadow - An evil group who have studied everything, the attempted invasions, the successful invasions, everything, and have learnt from the mistakes.
Notetaking - Notetaking is an art, mainly because most conversations only happen once or twice. Because of this, you have two options. 1, record the notes manually or 2. Record the conversations and view them later. Generally, you would use number 1, as it is cheaper and, if it is done digitally, takes up less space then recording the conversations.
Questions about Notetaking?
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Camcorder - The camcorder and other visual recording devices allow you to record scenes exactly as they happen!
With audio only, sometimes things may happen in the background that you may want to visually record. However, this takes up even more space then audio recording!
And many more that we will announce at a later date!

Plot Overveiw(may change with development)

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

One thing you should know - Abimon is as realistic as it can be. This results in no game instructions, no professor at the start, none of that.

Main storyline

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

You will find the screenshots in the attachments below. The one with a person is a snapshot of the movement and stamina system, the other one is a Save system, and the last one is our progress atm. Thanks for reading this!

Tell me what you think, as well. Tell me anything that may help. Thanks

BETA's

So we come to the matter of beta releases. I have decided, after consulting me and my imaginary self, that there will be 3 stages of beta releases.

1. Indev, or In development, releases are releases with little new content, they're essentially just playable updates.
Releases:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

2. Recommended Releases are releases that have a bit more content than an Indev release.

3. Bleeding-Edge Releases are releases that are special. They're like chapters of the game.

I have no idea when the next Indev release will be available, mainly because I'm coding everything from scratch. Don't ask, it doesn't help.... All it shows is that you have an interest in this, and wish I could hurry up. And so do I.

Bugs

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Wow! I really like your plot. I would love to see how the game progresses. Maybe elaborating a little more on how your character has to save the world and all. Hope it goes well. :D

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Wow! I really like your plot. I would love to see how the game progresses. Maybe elaborating a little more on how your character has to save the world and all. Hope it goes well. :D

Haha, thanks. Been looking forward to someone posting here. In regards to how to save the world, it's still a bit in development

Beta release information available now in the OP.

Last edited:

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
So I've recently been thinking about Jobs in-game, so you're not necessarily a trainer, and you're not necessarily a good guy. At first you are, but every time you meet the evil team that's corrupting the world, you are given the option to join them. More coming soon!

Working on the Abidex, features 371 Abimon, (Approx. 365 are Pokémon, other 6 are Abimon).

Well guys, we have another update! Worked a little on graphics today, this is just a graphics test map, here's the first bit
Spoiler:

Last edited:

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
You've got a particularly interesting plot there, somewhat fleshed out. Unlesss you're deciding to keep it a mystery for plot development purposes as one plays through the game, I don't understand - and would like to know how, when and why Steve was suddenly coming from saving Zigzagoon, to meeting the believed creator of the Pokemon Universe.

Other than that, interesting plot, and I'm looking forward to how it unfolds.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
You've got a particularly interesting plot there, somewhat fleshed out. Unlesss you're deciding to keep it a mystery for plot development purposes as one plays through the game, I don't understand - and would like to know how, when and why Steve was suddenly coming from saving Zigzagoon, to meeting the believed creator of the Pokemon Universe.

Other than that, interesting plot, and I'm looking forward to how it unfolds.

Sorry about that, mean't to expand a little bit more, updating OP now!

Years
  • Seen May 6, 2014
This game looks pretty good, it holds a lot of potential. I look forward to it's progress

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Thanks newhades17! Progress is slow, but progressful!
I'll post an update in a few days, been busy with exams and stuff...

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Hey guys, a new update, we have a mini-release! It's Indev version 1, available at 205.196.123.14/r9256h80v55g/5h235576h782szm/Abimon+Indev1Year1.jar to download. Currently, the only thing you can do is walk around and talk to the NPC. Movement is via the arrow keys, SPACE to talk and F5 to view more detailed info. Press E to open your inventory, which is a purple rectangle at the moment. I am well aware of transparency issues, and will address them soon. Thanks for reading and hope you have a good time playing! ~Anglican~

Years
Hey guys, a new update, we have a mini-release! It's Indev version 1, available at 205.196.123.14/r9256h80v55g/5h235576h782szm/Abimon+Indev1Year1.jar to download. Currently, the only thing you can do is walk around and talk to the NPC. Movement is via the arrow keys, SPACE to talk and F5 to view more detailed info. Press E to open your inventory, which is a purple rectangle at the moment. I am well aware of transparency issues, and will address them soon. Thanks for reading and hope you have a good time playing! ~Anglican~

Really, you couldn't use: http://www.mediafire.com/?5h235576h782szm

Also, I opened up the jar and guess what, only a large rectangle pops up with no graphics except if I press E the menu pops up as you said and the F5 menu.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Really, you couldn't use: http://www.mediafire.com/?5h235576h782szm

Also, I opened up the jar and guess what, only a large rectangle pops up with no graphics except if I press E the menu pops up as you said and the F5 menu.
Hmmm.. I noticed this today. I'm not sure why though... Eclipse runs it fine from within itself... I'll do a bit of messing with my code to change this.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Hmmm. Transparency seems to stuff up when put in a .jar.... I'll add a method that adds transparency in soon, but that's a problem.

Years
I would recommend using LWJGL if you are making a game, in that way it uses openGL which has much more amazing effects for rendering both 2d and 3d things.

UnderMybrella

Wandering Programmer
Years
Ok guys, been away with school lately, just got back into Minecraft and have been busy with that for a bit...
So this is still active, and I will be working on it, I finish this Thursday, so Friday I will devote time and RAM to developing Abimon a bit more.

Back