• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyardosamped

entering snake habitat
Years
I would play the original Red if you actually want the "nostalgia" effect. I don't think Blue and Red have any major glitches that could inhibit gameplay, so don't worry about that. I mean, if you want more things content-wise, I'd suggest playing Fire Red for the reasons posted by others above, but Red is where it all began and will most likely make you feel like you were just playing the series for the first time, although I don't think you've ever played the original R/B/Y since you said you wanted to get the original games for a change. I say original red, red, red all the way! :p

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hello there !
I'm replaying PMDRed, and I have some questions. I'm using the emulator VBAm, and no cheats. However, when I'll battle some pokemon I can recruit, I save state, so if it doesn't befriend me, I try again :p
The problem is, some pokemon, as Rattata, which befriending rate is approx. 10%, can't befriend me. I already have their area, and yet it doesn't happen.
The strange thing is the same thing was happening to Nidoran(f), but then when I fought one, it suddenly befriended, without needing a second trying.

Why it happens ? Does somebody know the inner mechanism of befriending Pokemon in these games ? The chances I take, or anything alike ?

Thank you so much !

Personally, you just sound unlucky. Btw, Nidoran(f) has a higher recruit rate than Rattata.

Years
Hi again. I need more advices. So I bought some Pokemon games (Platinum, Mystery dungeon explorers of darkness, and ranger: shadows of almia)(I guess they are all real, not fake, I got them for approx 40$, give or take). I am not going to play Platinum at all as I said before, I will follow the order. I read on the Internet that Pokemon Ranger Guardian sings are better then Shadows of almia, and that Explorers of darkness are the worst out of three in that "generation". I that true?

Either way, which one should I play when I get DS Lite, Pokemon Ranger or Mystery dungeon?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I personally hate the Ranger series and would recommend Mystery Dungeon over it any day. That's just me though. Ranger really bored me and was more frustrating than fun. PMD, while frustrating at times, it was more of a fuel to keep going rather than a...throw your DS at the wall feeling, like Ranger can give you. lol I found PMD's story to be much more engaging as well. I can't speak for Ranger games past the original however, so hopefully someone else could stop by and help with that.

vaporeon7

Years
Hi again. I need more advices. So I bought some Pokemon games (Platinum, Mystery dungeon explorers of darkness, and ranger: shadows of almia)(I guess they are all real, not fake, I got them for approx 40$, give or take). I am not going to play Platinum at all as I said before, I will follow the order. I read on the Internet that Pokemon Ranger Guardian sings are better then Shadows of almia, and that Explorers of darkness are the worst out of three in that "generation". I that true?

Either way, which one should I play when I get DS Lite, Pokemon Ranger or Mystery dungeon?

It doesn't really matter which you choose first, as none of the games have anything to do with each other. Personally I really enjoyed both, but I liked the ending of Mystery Dungeon better. Just make sure that with Ranger that you have a screen cover on your DS, or it'll get really scratched.

What about yellow? What differences are there in that game besides the starters?

There are only minor changes. You do get to battle Jessie, James and Meowth and there are a lot of other things from the anime in there.

Years
I hoped you all would say Ranger, because I remember playing Red rescue team on pc, and just the thought of going to some dungeon, getting to floor xyz and then being killed and returned to the start point is already frustrating. And why is Ranger frustrating?
And is there a big difference between Blue rescue team and Explorers of darkness?

vaporeon7

Years
I hoped you all would say Ranger, because I remember playing Red rescue team on pc, and just the thought of going to some dungeon, getting to floor xyz and then being killed and returned to the start point is already frustrating. And why is Ranger frustrating?
And is there a big difference between Blue rescue team and Explorers of darkness?

There isn't much of a difference between Blue and Darkness. Darkness has a really good ending (made me cry ;;). I really liked Ranger too, but it didn't make me cry. It's not annoying, you just need to make sure you have a cover slip for your touch screen, because you might scratch it if things get intense.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Not sure how you missed it. It's on Serebii.

With thanks to all of you for sending this in, we now have details of the Meloetta event in North America. This event will be distributed via Gamestop stores across North America from March 4th to March 24th for all Generation V games. It's currently unknown if this event will match the Japanese one in level and moves but we'll bring details as soon as we can

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I don't think it has been updated then yet. It's on the main page if you just scroll down a bit. There's a picture of a Serperior battling a Meloetta where it makes that announcement.

Years
  • Seen Feb 20, 2013
Should I Play Every Generation?

Recently, I decided to get back into playing Pokemon. However, I haven't played a Pokemon game in years. I left off at Generation III, having played Red, Silver, Sapphire, and LeafGreen. Since then, another two generations have come, and the sixth generation is on our doorsteps. Beside that, there have been numerous spin-offs, some of dubious quality, and some I hear good things about.

I would like some guidance on which games I should play at this juncture. I played LeafGreen again recently, but it was not as good as I recall. I'm sure that's partly because I've played it twice before (including the Gen I version). However, I imagine the game's age played a large part: I kept comparing it to later generation games that I would read about, which sounded more enticing, and to other games I have played since I was first exposed to LeafGreen so many years ago.

What would you recommend I do? I could play Platinum and hit all the main generation games up through X/Y. Or I could just wait and play X/Y when it comes out. Or play only select games.

I have a couple concerns. First, the story in the games I have played was serviceable, but not spectacular. I am concerned that, like with LeafGreen, all of the Pokemon games' stories are just vehicles for the combat.

Second, I know the mechanics do not change much between the games; or at least that is what I assume. If I play one of the later generation games, will I notice a significant difference in gameplay from LeafGreen?

In general, I'm concerned that the games will be an example of "Once you've played one, you've played them all".

Beside that, are there any side-games you would recommend I play?

P.S. I thought I had already created this thread, but I guess there was a system error or a mistake. I can't find any record of it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I would definitely recommend Black/White (and Black 2/White 2 if you enjoy BW). It has a lot of the familiarity of the early Pokemon games, but also manages to pull off a sense of playing something brand new. BW does only have Gen 5 Pokemon until you beat the story, which is off putting to some people, but personally I think it enhances the experience. It kind of remedies the "once you've played one, you've played them all" problem you mentioned. BW also has a much more in depth story than all the Pokemon games preceding it.

BW2 are direct sequels to BW, so I'd definitely suggest playing BW first.

Platinum is nice, along with Diamond and Pearl, but they're a little sluggish, and I'd probably consider Plat one of the most difficult Pokemon games. It takes a bit of patience. Plat might not be the best game to pick up right away, but if you do get back into playing Pokemon games and want to give Gen 4 a shot I'd recommend it.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
I agree with what iLike2EatPiez said. And about the spinoff games, I'd definitely recommend the Mystery Dungeon series if you're into storyline, especially the second games (I suggest Explorers of Sky). It doesn't require any knowledge of the first set of games.

For some interesting (and fun, in my opinion) gameplay, maybe try out the Ranger games (Shadows of Almia and Guardian Signs vastly improve on the first, but they do sorta build upon each other). They also have their own unique plots.

Years
We're in the same boat. I just started to play again. Well, obviously, all Pokemon games are a bit repetitive, You catch Pokemon, battle and train them. And you do the plot. It really depends on how much you are into Pokemon. I would suggest you to follow my path. I am playing side-games that are different, so once I start playing main Pokemon games, it feels like I am playing fresh new games. Or something like that, lol. (You can see more abt that on the page before where I had similar questions)

You should try Pokemon Ranger. I am playing it for the first time right now (Shadows of Almia), and I don't have any complaints.

Pokemon mystery dungeon is great. I would recommend playing new generation, (Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky, I have Explorers of Darkness which I am going to play after I finish the Pokemon Ranger.

Pokemon conquest, and other spin-off games look pretty good too.

After that you can continue with main Pokemon games. Try Emerald. It's Sapphire extended. It was my first game and I loved it. Try Platinum too, I only played it for few minutes on pc, then decided to wait till I get the console. The feeling is completely different in my opinion. etc.

Dragooncroft

Tomb Raider
Years
So I have been playing pokemon stadium 2 for over 10 years now, and my team is fair (don't get me wrong) but I really want all my pokemon so be shiny. I also want to manipulate happiness so I can make my Eevee evolve into an Umbreon and I want to change the stats of my pokemon to their maximum ability. I have pokemon silver and play it from the gameboy tower because my gameboy color is broken. I looked up Action replay and gameshark but there doesn't seem to be any code for shinies, and pokemon changes (i.e. make your level 20 eevee a level 50 umbreon). Can someone help? Thanks!

Review
I want:
To change a pokemon to another (or it's evolved form)
Max Stats
Shiny pokemon (especially)

Thank you so much! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back