• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are your thoughts on Vevo?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
What do you guy's think of the music video business on youtube know as Vevo? Do you hate them, like them, or don't care.

I personally hate Vevo. Not only do they censor swear words they sensor bs words. I was watching Dr. Dre's Forgot About Dre video and this is what they did. "Who do you think taught you to smoke ***** (trees). They censored out the word trees. It's like they try to keep they're videos G rated. They censor words that shouldn't even be censored. Not to mention they're minute long advertisements. So what's your thoughts on this evil organization.

Very
Evil
Video
Organization

Years
I've watched some of VEVO before, and I have to admit I never noticed any censors until this thread was brought up.

On top of censoring words, they sometimes block entire videos in certain countries. And I so hate seeing that "blocked in your country" message.

VEVO makes good videos nerfed and those ads are annoying.

White_Arcanine

Lonely and annoying.
Years
I hate VEVO, but it's a nice way to organize videos. Three Days Grace's I hate everything about you is how I feel about VEVO. XD

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
So far, I haven't had any issues with VEVO, I just thought it was just another regular channel on YouTube - I have one too.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not particularly fond of Vevo because of it's monopoly on every famous singer ever on Youtube, but I suppose it's convenient at the same time that I quickly find a song by an artist and listen to it, provided it isn't blocked in my country or whatever. As long as I can quickly access Britney Spears videos I'm okay!!!!!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Don't really care, honestly. I never really saw it as me watching some sort of super-evil world-destroying propaganda-spewing hate machine. I just saw it as a channel with popular music videos and adverts which, by no stretch of the imagination, is anything unusual. Speaking of the adverts, a one-minute advertisement isn't bad when you consider that a music channel on TV will throw five minutes of them at you after every few tracks.

Regarding the censorship thing, well, what do you expect? Vevo is immensely popular and so is the content it uploads. With younger and younger people using the internet regularly every day, do you expect them to not censor music? Although I'll admit that trees is an... odd one.

Basically yeah. Maybe Vevo does do more harm than good in some... obscure way, but I can't say I've ever had any issue with it.

Years
  • Seen Oct 25, 2012
Censorship, lag (at least for me) and additional advertisement are enough reasons for me to dislike them.

Hannah

beep bop boop
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Nov 16, 2021
Vevo is horrible. The ads that appear piss me off, really. Before Vevo started its madness, I used to watch music videos by random people, not by a company. And I never really noticed that they censor some words, tbh.

Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
Vevo is just a business like any other theres nothing wrong being committed except the want for more money and more business (which is what a business wants). They will do whatever it is they think it is the public wants they have started to release explicit videos from seeing all the complaints i guess but they started out with censorship because that user friendly for everyones ears. No matter how much the public would like to deny it they have more control over companies than they realize. Its all about making money for these businesses. It doesnt really bother me if anyone of us started a business with the intent to make money from it we would all follow the same path.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I've never had a problem with Vevo, although the ads are annoying. Part of it might be due to me not listening to explicit materials, as I am not a fan of that stuff. They're a business, but they don't strike me as an evil one in the slightest. I mean, if you want "evil business," look no further than Apple or Wal-Mart. Vevo isn't THAT horrific.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
...I never realized anyone took issue with Vevo. And it kind of amazes me that one of the main reasons people are stating is ads? Really?

If you don't want to deal with ads on your music, buy it and listen to it that way. If you don't want to hand over money, download the song illegally and listen to it. But you use Youtube for the convenience, right? Because you like the song? Every time you listen to the Vevo version of a song and watch the ad, some of the revenue goes toward: A) Youtube, to keep the servers running that allow you instant access to songs; B) Vevo, to keep the licenses for the songs so you can legally listen to them without having to pirate or buy them yourself; and C) the artist themselves, so they can continue to make music for you to listen to.

There's obviously a bit more to it than that but complaining about ads on Vevo is like complaining about commercials on the radio. You're listening to music at no cost to you--the ads are how it is paid for.

That said, I had no idea Vevo censored all the songs. I swear I've seen both censored and uncensored versions of some songs on Vevo, but I will admit I don't end up on Vevo pages very often. Well, I guess that's also akin to radio, if you think about it. Since it's accessible to everyone and everyone, it probably makes more business-sense to censor it so they don't have to restrict it by age.

And lastly, I like the idea of Vevo. I think it's nice that the industry recognized fairly early on that Youtube was a good source to quickly listen to music/watch music videos and came up with a format that allowed them to profit from that while still giving fans what they want. It's nice to be able to find an official version of a song that I know I can trust when looking for a song I've never heard before (as is the case with all pop music for me XD) rather than having to sift through a million bad lyrics videos that have inappropriate intro music and weird outro music to go along with the typo'd lyrics and, sometimes, not even the right version of a song.

droomph

weeb
Years
Um vevo?

I honestly couldn't care less, unless they purposefully wreck a video just because. And I've never seen that happen, so they're good on my books.

I would much rather see the videos on the artist's official channel tbh, but if I can't (eg Daft Punk is one of the few that don't have a YouTube channel) it's fine with me.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
From what I remember, Youtube once banned all music videos due to copyright **** until VEVO came around and made it legal again.

tbh, I think that VEVO is good. Without it, music on Youtube would be a copyright infringement hotspot. Yes, VEVO does censor some songs and Yes, the ads on VEVO are very obnoxious, but what would you rather do? Get flung into court for copyright quarrels or watch a 15 sec advert (which is usually skippable) before a music video.

Years
Eh, I really think people give it too much hate, its just corporates doing their thang. Also re: using adblockers I tend not to on Youtube because I subscribe to loads of people and feel guilty if I cut their income. Lol.

Snowdrop

Back and ready to babble!
Years
A lot of the songs I listen to don't cuss very much or simply aren't on VEVO but I never really had a problem with it except that it was slow. There are ads there, yeah, but now I see ads on like half the videos I watch so it's no big deal anymore. I can deal with 30 seconds of some Mormon dude telling my about his accomplishments lol. They provide HD music videos and good sound quality so I actually think VEVO's not all that bad :P

Back