• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 23, 2016
I'm fairly new to ROM hacking, so forgive me if this is a simple question, but is there a way to change the criteria of the stars on the Trainer Card? For example, if I wanted it to give you a star for finding a certain set of items instead of the Pokémon Contests in Pokémon Emerald, could I do that?

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I'm fairly new to ROM hacking, so forgive me if this is a simple question, but is there a way to change the criteria of the stars on the Trainer Card? For example, if I wanted it to give you a star for finding a certain set of items instead of the Pokémon Contests in Pokémon Emerald, could I do that?

That would require ASM as far as I know. Since you're new to rom hacking I would suggest understanding how to script and getting comfortable with hex first. :)

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I've been making my game for a while now, using FR and I just started importing my new Pokemon into the game (I've done it before without any problems) but after I import them and try to open that same Rom on Advance Map, it says "ERROR: (EHeaderError) Error on getting Tileset Header, MapBankHeader seems to be corrupted." and I can understand what that means, I just don't understand why this happens after I import my Pokemon. Can someone please help?

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
I've been making my game for a while now, using FR and I just started importing my new Pokemon into the game (I've done it before without any problems) but after I import them and try to open that same Rom on Advance Map, it says "ERROR: (EHeaderError) Error on getting Tileset Header, MapBankHeader seems to be corrupted." and I can understand what that means, I just don't understand why this happens after I import my Pokemon. Can someone please help?
You probably took a wrong offset by mistake and screwed up your ROM. Fixing this can be both, difficult and time consuming so I suggest to take a clean one and do it again.

Years
Firered rom problem

hey everyone,i hacking firered. I spent allday to hacking that rom.When i test my hack,it works fine.But,a problem started.The game reset itself when my character was walking.I dont know how to fix it.I am stress!!i dont want to start my hack from scratch again!.I hope someone can fix it.Sorry for my bad english.

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
hey everyone,i hacking firered. I spent allday to hacking that rom.When i test my hack,it works fine.But,a problem started.The game reset itself when my character was walking.I dont know how to fix it.I am stress!!i dont want to start my hack from scratch again!.I hope someone can fix it.Sorry for my bad english.
I already told you in another post but well, better start from a fresh ROM and re-insert your stuff again. Be careful with offsets and already existing content and you'll be fine. Oh and by the way, finding and fixing the problem which causes the game to freeze will probably take more time than restarting your project.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I'm trying to change the music for a trainer battle. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication of what song plays with trainers, no matter what theme plays. How would one go about this sort of change?

If you're on FR, the reason there's no indication is that there is no table. FR only has 6 or 7 bits of battle music, and so, assigns the music using ASM. There's 2 ways around it:
1 - Use Mastermind_X's var music switching hack (it works, but is useless for switching more rapidly since you can't put a setvar at the start of a trainerbattle script).
2 - You can use one of my routines which creates a table which allows definitions of regional music and trainer class based music (so you could define Team Rocket to have a battle theme, for example).

While we're at it, it's also possible to define more custom encounter music. I'll add the code in question to this post when I get to my PC.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

Like Rokou stated, you must have overwritten an existing data in the ROM that causes the glitch.
But more details to the glitch might be helpful.
Were you walking and about to enter a new map?
Were you walking and then you stepped on a script tile?

Years
so,you are destinedjagold?i am fan of your hack,Ruby Destiny Rescue Ranger.That the best hack!
Mm,back to the problem.the problem happen when player walking normally (not when enter map or anything else).That also happen to my Emerald hack.

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
so,you are destinedjagold?i am fan of your hack,Ruby Destiny Rescue Ranger.That the best hack!
Mm,back to the problem.the problem happen when player walking normally (not when enter map or anything else).That also happen to my Emerald hack.
Weird problem, which tools do you use?

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

That's a really weird glitch.
You have probably overwritten something very important in the game.
What were you doing with your hack before this happened?
And as Rokou asked, what hacking tools did you use?

Years

That's a really weird glitch.
You have probably overwritten something very important in the game.
What were you doing with your hack before this happened?
And as Rokou asked, what hacking tools did you use?

Yeah,now i have fixed that problem.It because there are something wrong with the script(its hard to explain it).When i deleted that script,everything back to normal,no problem anymore.

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I'm having trouble understanding "trainer customization" for Jpan's hacked engine. The guide that came with it wasn't that clear (to me atleast...).

I understand how to make the script, by setting all the variables, but what I'm confused with is how to make those variables activate what I want, since just making a script like that does nothing. I have a feeling I have to change a pointer somewhere but I'm not sure if I'm correct. xD How do I pick which OW to change into, like what makes the script decide what OW you will become? And if anyone knows, is it possible to then change back, and then become another different OW? I'm sure once I figure out this part I'll be able to do the backsprite switching and stuff, I'm just so confused. :x

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
You probably took a wrong offset by mistake and screwed up your ROM. Fixing this can be both, difficult and time consuming so I suggest to take a clean one and do it again.

Well, I used the Free Space Finder to get my offsets, and it's worked in the past, but when you say a a clean one do you mean Rom? I was thinking I might be able to redownload Advance Map instead, cause I have almost every map edited on my current save. :/
I've heard you can transfer your saved maps to another Rom, but I haven't seen how to do that yet.

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
You can save your maps, just browse around "File" - everything else is self explaining. By the way, which Advance Map version do you use? I recommend using 1.92 since 1.95 may has some bugs due the complete recode Lu-Ho made.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
You can save your maps, just browse around "File" - everything else is self explaining. By the way, which Advance Map version do you use? I recommend using 1.92 since 1.95 may has some bugs due the complete recode Lu-Ho made.

I think I did have 1.92, but I just got 1.95 and it's opening now, so I guess the Advance Map just got messed up somehow, but if 95 is buggy then I can still just download 92 again.
Also, do you know if FSF is better to use than Hex Editor? I tried using it since you said I may have used the wrong offset so I wanted to clearly see which ones I was getting, but when I saw my Pokemon in the game, they were all glitchy, and that hasn't happened since the first time i tried putting them in.

Rokou

» inactive
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 21, 2014
Version 1.95 is not buggy, it probably has some bugs which 1.92 doesnt have. I usually use a hex editor in order to find free space, starting at 0x800000 most of the time while using Firered. If you use FSF, do you look for FF or 00 bytes? Using 00 will most likely result in bugs and glitches, this is probably what happened to you.

FearAddict

Addicted to Fear, as usually
Years
Hai all, I got a problem with A-map. When i set pokemon in wild pokemon editor (i put taillows in route 1 and some pidgeys and rattatas) but the only pokemon i encounter are sandslash of high level. Can someone help me? I would really appreciate!

Thanks in advance all!

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Version 1.95 is not buggy, it probably has some bugs which 1.92 doesnt have. I usually use a hex editor in order to find free space, starting at 0x800000 most of the time while using Firered. If you use FSF, do you look for FF or 00 bytes? Using 00 will most likely result in bugs and glitches, this is probably what happened to you.

I use FF, but I can try searching near the offsets you suggested, at least that way I can know where I'm putting everything. Thank you very much. ^^

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I'm having trouble understanding "trainer customization" for Jpan's hacked engine. The guide that came with it wasn't that clear (to me atleast...).

I understand how to make the script, by setting all the variables, but what I'm confused with is how to make those variables activate what I want, since just making a script like that does nothing. I have a feeling I have to change a pointer somewhere but I'm not sure if I'm correct. xD How do I pick which OW to change into, like what makes the script decide what OW you will become? And if anyone knows, is it possible to then change back, and then become another different OW? I'm sure once I figure out this part I'll be able to do the backsprite switching and stuff, I'm just so confused. :x

The OW switch isn't too hard, actually. All you have to do is set the variables listed to the values of the OW. For example, if you want to change the hero from the current sprite to the 0x20th OW, then you just set variable 0x4054 to 0x20. That's all there is to it, basically. You need to refresh the map before the changes take hold, though, by warping, or possibly by Special 0x8E (the setmaptile special).

I don't know exactly which parts confuse you, and it might just be a misunderstanding. I'll assume you know that this code only changes what the hero OW looks like, it doesn't actually switch you with another person event. You can change back by setting the variable 0x4054 (or whichever you changed) back to 0x0 for male or 0x7 for female, since those are the OW numbers of the male and female hero sprites.

If you have any more questions, VM or PM me, and I'll do the best I can to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back