• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon: Phoenix Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
It's advised you read the first post. Don't ask for the release date, the download link or anything of the sort, because well... it's rude. It will be released when it's released, so be patient.

Anyway, yeah I can see his gender from the close ups, and I suppose the OW sprite doesn't really matter on a grand scale considering you'll already know he's male through the trainer and close up sprites.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Okay guys, I want to make something abundantly clear; please do not ask for release dates, or download links. If one is not quite obviously there, then it does not exist. This game is still being worked on. While I really do appreciate enthusiasm for the game, it's just not going to come any quicker if you guys don't support us in working towards a release. Don't know why? Read this.

But those of you hungry to know when the game is coming... I have an announcement!

prrelease.gif

All that aside, I should be releasing a video soon, in fact, that's what I'm working on tonight. I realized we haven't posted one yet, so I'm gonna throw together a video for the introductory lecture!

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
The music reminds me of something you'd find in Chao world. It's nice, upbeat and has that beginning feel to it. In terms of the video itself, I love the starting screen. The menu really flows nicely and I think you've nailed the interface. The intro itself is nice, but at times the screen looks way too empty. The professor talking is absolutely fine, except for the grass which should be moved downwards a little as she looks as if she's standing on the edge of it. The Pidgey has this problem as well except horizontally. I also think the character selection is a little bit plain, maybe having one zoom in a lot more when hovering over it? Because at the moment I think the characters aren't shown well enough. Same thing when you've chosen the character, I think it really needs to be closer up because it is very empty (which might be problematic down the road with your bigger screen - something you should keep in mind if you already aren't ;P).

Other then that the art is amazingly clean and fits the games style perfectly. Especially the speech bubble text, I freaking love that. Good luck on completing your hack!

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
Years
Thank you for the fontmanship Gavin, I wouldn't have known the professor was totally dedicated to her Pokemon Philosophy research if she hadn't emphasized "EVERY".

Honestly, though, it doesn't feel like a game - there's no unified vision on display, it's a bunch of colorful things thrown together that clash pretty noticeably. For example: the background is of an entirely different art style than the sprites on display, and the rounded text balloons look jarring with the minimalist and pixellated text inside.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
To me, I feel like some of the comments thrown our way are a little more gravitating towards the fact it's different to what you'd normally expect. I also don't really appreciate comments like "this doesn't feel like a game." Other than that though, myself and the team appreciate the feedback. I'm gonna go back to the drawing board slightly on this one, not going to be quite as dramatic as some of the feedback we've gotten on the video, but I'm going to fix up the text. Given that that is primarily the issue here. I don't think the styles clash, that's intentional, given that I wanted the sprites to stand out, and the background is an insight to the game in a more fresh way. But it's impossible to please everyone.

As I say, I'll work on the scene again, primarily the text. This is why we post screenshots and videos; to get feedback, both positive and negative. And just on a personal level, it's quite disheartening to go out and pretty much bash someone's work, all over GD I see it. Try and be slightly more supportive in your comments, some of you. We're meant to be a community, and it's not exactly fair to be negative for the sake of being so. Some of the posters I see in this thread, and in others, go into some of the games purely to be negative. It's not really insightful, and not kind to the developers. This is quite off-topic, but just a simple reach out to some of you guys who see this as a competition, and an opportunity to put people down.

If you don't see vulnerability in somebody, you're probably not going to relate to them. Myself, and the team, put a lot of ourselves into Phoenix Rising, because we want you to see its vulnerabilities, we want you to be able to relate to it. And if you don't relate to some of the things we do, you probably wouldn't relate to us either. So the best thing is to move on and find people more like minded. Carry that mentality with you when you comment on people's games, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can be rude about it. Simply say what you feel could be changed, and if the developer agrees with you, then great, if not, you're on different wave lengths and you move on. Those are the kind of comments which will help a lot more.

Again, thanks for the comments. We'll work on it :]

Fire Flyy

metaphysical poet
Years
I'm gonna be the 7th guy to say the font in the video makes no sense; there's p much the entire color spectrum, I think it would be better if you maybe kept it to like 2 and then just used red and blue for the gender select. The fact that you're using enlarged pixel font is probably of more concern, though, it really doesn't look good at all, pixel fonts shouldn't really be used outside of their designated size, and the fact that it's in all these bright colors makes it look a lot worse. Not a fan of the pixelated professor and bg being on a digitally drawn background either but I guess it's passable ://

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
I have a question. Will you release alphas/betas of this game, or will you release the game when it's completed?

Years
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
While I actually do like the idea of using larger colored font for emphasis in the intro, since it's all supposed to be new and eye-catching, the pixel font doesn't really work for that. But I'll wait to see what you come up with.

Yuoaman

Years
To me, I feel like some of the comments thrown our way are a little more gravitating towards the fact it's different to what you'd normally expect. I also don't really appreciate comments like "this doesn't feel like a game." Other than that though, myself and the team appreciate the feedback. I'm gonna go back to the drawing board slightly on this one, not going to be quite as dramatic as some of the feedback we've gotten on the video, but I'm going to fix up the text. Given that that is primarily the issue here. I don't think the styles clash, that's intentional, given that I wanted the sprites to stand out, and the background is an insight to the game in a more fresh way. But it's impossible to please everyone.

As I say, I'll work on the scene again, primarily the text. This is why we post screenshots and videos; to get feedback, both positive and negative. And just on a personal level, it's quite disheartening to go out and pretty much bash someone's work, all over GD I see it. Try and be slightly more supportive in your comments, some of you. We're meant to be a community, and it's not exactly fair to be negative for the sake of being so. Some of the posters I see in this thread, and in others, go into some of the games purely to be negative. It's not really insightful, and not kind to the developers. This is quite off-topic, but just a simple reach out to some of you guys who see this as a competition, and an opportunity to put people down.

If you don't see vulnerability in somebody, you're probably not going to relate to them. Myself, and the team, put a lot of ourselves into Phoenix Rising, because we want you to see its vulnerabilities, we want you to be able to relate to it. And if you don't relate to some of the things we do, you probably wouldn't relate to us either. So the best thing is to move on and find people more like minded. Carry that mentality with you when you comment on people's games, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can be rude about it. Simply say what you feel could be changed, and if the developer agrees with you, then great, if not, you're on different wave lengths and you move on. Those are the kind of comments which will help a lot more.

It's not that it's different, it's that it doesn't work that is my problem - putting a lot of pretty things up on screen without making sure they fit to the game's vision just makes it a mess, it looks as if there was no cooperation in putting the scene together: just a lot of different elements, while good in their own right, that were put together without any sort of editing process, it's like if you were to read a book that switched from Shakespearian language to modern day slang in alternating sentences, written in one of the two sets a tone and style for the book, while using both is just confusing.

I'm not being critical for the sake of being critical - I'm being critical because I want to see improvements, I don't appreciate someone taking my criticism on a personal level because it twists my criticism into an attack. An attack is not what it was intended to be. To post something you've worked on in a public place for others to see and judge is something that requires vulnerability in the people involved, I don't think anyone here is trying to stomp on people for making themselves vulnerable, but being vulnerable and taking things personally are two entirely different things. I'm not saying detach yourself from your work entirely, that's not possible or advisable, but recognize that others do not share your personal connection with it and don't have that same feeling of vulnerability, you just posted something in a public forum, and we are all going to have our own opinions of it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Which is why I said I'm happy to hear said criticism. Your post simply lacked enough specifics to actually be, well, criticism. I'd be perfectly open to hear you pointing out every error you see and go ahead and offer some insight as to what would fit better.

Gmack

I'm back!
Years
I find this post intruiging, and very ignorant, so let's take a look, shall we?

While it is impossible to please everyone, as a game developer, you have to try your best to please the majority. When you get negative feedback, you don't say "no," you say "why?" If you ever get a negative comment on something, take it into full consideration instead of getting offended. You're going to make mistakes, it's fine!

Listen, community or not, we're not just going to tell you the good things. I stated before that negative feedback is something to actually take into consideration. In fact, you should strive for negative feedback! It'll help your game improve in the eyes of your audience. This is called critiquing a work, Gavin. This is how you learn to improve. Nobody is trying to offend you(mostly); We're trying to help you, not ourselves.

Again, we aren't being rude. We're trying to improve the game. Every negative thing we say is to help you and your team improve the game for the majority of the crowd. Remember, Gavin, your fans are here because they enjoy your work, and want to see it excel. You don't work for anyone as a fan-game developer, you work for your fans. You're not trying to please yourself and your team, mostly, you're pleasing them. ... or are you going to download your own game?

This is how you should respond to all comments, not by saying " Thanks, but can you leave out the negatives? That'd be great, guys!" You should accept negative critisism with open arms, and praise any critique somebody makes on your game. This is not to put you down, Gavin, this is to help you. As a fellow Game Developer, I've received my own share of bad things said to me, but you have to come from an unbiased perspective, and look at your game at the specific part they are complaining about. If it's silly, than explain yourself. If it's something like, " Hey, that text doesn't really fit," then you should try to make it fit. Everything about making a good game is making everything balance out. Graphics should go hand in hand with gameplay, music, and story; this is how classics are made.
Again, this is not to put you down, this is to help you.

~Sincerely, Gavin "Gmack"

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Of course it's there to help us, and me. I'm under no disillusion. I feel as if you're just taking me up wrongly, I was seeking out specifics. Anyway, I'd just rather if the subject was dropped, especially what has already been mentioned 7 times. Critique is great, but it gets aggravating when it's repeated over and over. So just understand that we're working on what has been said.

And from a moderation note, this is getting way too heated. If you feel you wish to judge my moral character (lol) then feel free to do so in a PM. Again, we appreciate the feedback, and we're working on things as already stated. I'm leaving it at that, anything else that pushes the general off-topic direction of this thread will be deleted. It's a fan game guys, not politics. Revel in the knowledge that I appreciate the critique and interest, some of my posts are evidently being picked up wrongly. This isn't srs bsns, so let's get back on track shall we?

Yuoaman

Years
Just a quick list of specifics:

• The artstyles don't conform to a single vision - the character sprites, the background, and the UI each look like they're from a different game.
  • The font stuff, as mentioned several other times.
  • The Professor's dialog, in conjunction with the font issues, make it sound as if she's trying too hard to convince us. For example: "That is why I study Pokemon EVERY day," - I almost expect her to follow it up with, "because Pokemon Philosophy is a real job, mom."
  • The text balloons are very distracting - it might be because they're so big and just a solid color - but I much prefer a more understated text box, like the one present in the selection menus and in the name choice screen.

Now, when I said it "doesn't look like a game" I meant that what I'm seeing feels more like a proof of concept than something tangible that could be played - something that you would show off a few weeks into a project to show that something could come of it, for the reasons listed above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back