• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Mmm, TMs

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Prior to Black and White, technical machines were one-time use only; meaning, if you had used them once, they were gone. To be utilizing them again, you would have to recollect. After these games had been introduced, that changed completely, and now, TMs last forever. What are your thought on this? Did you like this particular change, or dislike? If it's latter, why so?

Years
I can honestly say that infinite use TMs are probably one of my favourite additions of Gen V. Going back to play the older games without it feels horrible and it's nice to be able to teach your teams new moves without worrying about having to save the TM for later.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
This is by far one of the best changes ever done to the games. Infinite use of TMs is incredibly useful and helpful. One will never again have to worry about giving a Pokemon a TM and then regretting it, only to find you can't get it back ever again. This also allows for a team with more diverse movepools, thus increasing chances of victory. I can't imagine that someone would not like this improvement. It's incredibly convenient and a big step ahead for GF.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
One of the best new features of Pokemon ever, and one of the reasons I hold Gen V so highly. It allows for more flexibility, without having to lose a potentially valuable move forever. EXTREMELY helpful in my case, as I usually make mistakes with my TMs and lose them permanently. If I suck at making a moveset, no worries! I don't ever lose the actual move. I was ecstatic that this was carried over to Gen VI, and hopefully for later generations.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I don't know why Game Freak didn't make TMs re-usable sooner, especially since HMs have been re-usable since the beginning. It was so annoying pre-Gen V to be only able to use TMs once. You usually wanna use a TM on more than one Pokemon, and some of the moves are rather valuable. So glad that they changed things in Gen V.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Reusable TMs was something so simple I'm really shocked that Gamefreak hadn't done this before. There was really no downside to having infinite usage and it was really just a pain when TMs were one-time use. I used to just hack my games so that I would have x99 of each TM because there were several (like Earthquake) that I had to use way more than just 1 time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
Such a relief! Although I sometimes get annoyed having to scroll through all of them when in a previous generation I would've sold some ones I won't use like Fire Blast which are re-purchasable. But when I complete a game in Gen III/IV I hoard my tms on my Diamond save which is basically storage, which is time-consuming. There's also all the stress of "do I teach my Jolteon Thunderbolt or will it be replaced by Dragonite?"-type situations, which has now been removed.

Overall, this is the "Revolutionary feature" from that other thread, and a much-needed one.

Years
Pretty much everything I would say has already been said. The only downside I can think of is that some people may think it makes the game too easy after the past generations, but it makes for more convenience than that i'd say. That's really the only possible negative I could think of, other than that this is definitely a feature to absolutely love.

Years
One of the many things that made Unova a wonderful addition to the series. They should've done it a long time ago, but of course can't change that now, only make sure they continue this for the remainder of the games.

Years
I agree with pretty much what everyone before said. Infinite use TMs were one of the best changes 5th Gen brought to us, because it helped us put some valuable coverage in a Pokemon's moveset without having to think so carefully. It definitely helped save time and I'm sure they'll leave it this way for pretty much every game afterwards.

And yeah Zekrom is right, they should have introduced this change earlier because it was such a handy feature to have. One-use TMs made us have to plan too carefully.

Years
It was really amazing and strange for me when I saw that TM is still in my bag, after using it. That was of course when I played B/W for the first time, no one told me this before.

When I played X/Y for the first time, I kept forgetting that TM's can be used infinitely. Every single time after realising it, I felt so relieved.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
Hallelujah for the greatest mechanic in any Pokemon game ever made. This is literally the single greatest thing to come into a Pokemon game. The fact that I don't have to cheat in another Ice Beam or Shadow Ball is incredible to me. They included so many TMs in previous games that only had one copy of itself it wasn't even worth using any of them. But now that they're permanent there's no longer a need to be cheap about it!

Back