• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2012
This problem actually happens extremely often, and I think it's been asked alot on here. In Firered, the only Pokemon that evolve are Pokemon from Gen I, unless you have the National Dex. This is to prevent Golbat evolving into Crobat, Eevee into Espeon and Umbreon, etc. etc. To fix, enable the National Dex.

Thank you very much! :) I'll start looking for how to do that now. (If you know where to link me for that information, could you PM it to me? I appreciate it.)

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Thank you very much! :) I'll start looking for how to do that now. (If you know where to link me for that information, could you PM it to me? I appreciate it.)

In FireRed you activate the National Pokedex by writing a script with the command 'special 0x16F' somewhere in it. Place it in a person event or green script tile and interact with it in-game. The best time to activate this would be when you get your regular Pokedex.

Years
Rival Intro sprite insert

Hi everyone!
I have been making rom hack from fire red
and i followed xatokus intro editing tutorial, But i don't know what is rivals intro sprite APE offset palette. And if i just import the sprite with unlz the sprite has wrong colors and red cube surrouding it.

So what i have to do?

Years
I'm trying to find a Pokémon editor for GSC. I'm currently re-playing through Crystal through an emulator and I'm using Geodude and Abra in my team, but I cannot get their last forms without trading, so I'd like to find a simple program that can change the evolution requirements. I have used YAPE for GBA roms, but is doesn't read GBC roms.

I'm thinking of making them evolve around level 36 or maybe even through max friendship.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
I'm trying to find a Pokémon editor for GSC. I'm currently re-playing through Crystal through an emulator and I'm using Geodude and Abra in my team, but I cannot get their last forms without trading, so I'd like to find a simple program that can change the evolution requirements. I have used YAPE for GBA roms, but is doesn't read GBC roms.

I'm thinking of making them evolve around level 36 or maybe even through max friendship.
Time to learn to use a hex editor!
This is a pretty easy thing you're trying to do so there is also a newbie-friendly tutorial for this stuff.
Editing level-up moves and evolutions

If you're having problems, PM me or join Skeetendo and ask on that thread I linked.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2012
Since I'm relatively new to hacking I was messing around with a hack. I was trying to edit the intro hero, but before I knew what I was doing I inserted one that was to small using UnLZ. But now that I want to put in a proper one I can't for some reason. Using UnLZ it just doesn't appear even though I was able to use that way on a clean rom. And using NSE I can't make the sprite 8 x 12 so that I can insert a new one. So my question is, is there anyone to change it back from 8x8 to 8x12 ?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
Okay, so I've been learning some asm recently, and, I must say - people make it out to be a lot harder than it really is. It's a bit annoying to remember the syntax, but using it is easy, or at least, far easier than I was expecting.

But, I do have a little question - does pushing registers actually set the value in the register to zero? That may be a silly question, but as far as I can tell, all it does is put the data into the stack.

The reason why I ask is that, I have a routine that actually requires pushing the registers in the middle of it (parts of it need manipulating a lot of registers at once), and I didn't want to have to have a ton of lines of "sub rx,rx,rx" if I don't need them.

Tru Eagle

Flying Type Master
Years
I keep getting the same error code over and over again any time I try to use a map editing program. "Component COMDLG32.OXC or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid." Now before you ask, I have located said file and have tried everything I can think of to make it register with the program, placing it in the same folder is the most obvious of choices BUT it doesn't work. Plain and simple.

Suggestions?

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Now I'm having a different problem with the same warp as before. I go to the warp at the top of the stairs in the player's room, which I have changed to go downstairs to a hallway-like floor which has stairs at the other end to take the player down to the main floor (I have attached a picture of this map). When I try to go down the stairs, the game freezes. I can't move or open the menu or do anything, it's just frozen. I have checked tile behaviors, made sure the warps connect, made sure all other events in both maps are good, but it still doesn't work.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2012
I managed to fix my size issue but now I have another problem. I changed the intro sprite in both NSE & UnLZ (Because the change wasn't working in UnLZ). NSE & UnLZ both show the same sprite but the in game sprite is the old one. Anyway I can fix that?

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I keep getting the same error code over and over again any time I try to use a map editing program. "Component COMDLG32.OXC or one of its dependencies is not correctly registered: A file is missing or invalid." Now before you ask, I have located said file and have tried everything I can think of to make it register with the program, placing it in the same folder is the most obvious of choices BUT it doesn't work. Plain and simple.

Suggestions?
You need to take the file, and register it with Windows. I'd suggest looking up how to register .OCX files online, since I can't really explain it well. It involves using the command prompt, and a little logic, however.

Now I'm having a different problem with the same warp as before. I go to the warp at the top of the stairs in the player's room, which I have changed to go downstairs to a hallway-like floor which has stairs at the other end to take the player down to the main floor (I have attached a picture of this map). When I try to go down the stairs, the game freezes. I can't move or open the menu or do anything, it's just frozen. I have checked tile behaviors, made sure the warps connect, made sure all other events in both maps are good, but it still doesn't work.
Just as clarification, is it freezing when you step on the warp, or is it warping to a black screen, then freezing?

I managed to fix my size issue but now I have another problem. I changed the intro sprite in both NSE & UnLZ (Because the change wasn't working in UnLZ). NSE & UnLZ both show the same sprite but the in game sprite is the old one. Anyway I can fix that?
Here is what I think happened:
You inserted a smaller sprite over a larger one. Since it was smaller, you were able to successfully overwrite the larger one with it, so it showed up in-game just fine. You then attempted to put a larger sprite over a smaller sprite. If you do this in most programs, the image will be placed somewhere in free space, and not overwrite the smaller sprite. Basically, your new, large sprite is at a different offset than the smaller one. The game, when it runs the intro sequence, probably loads the image from the smaller one's offset. The solution would be to change the hex code to load the image from the larger one's offset. You could do this by searching for the smaller images offset in a hex editor, and replacing it with the larger image's offset.

Years
  • Seen Feb 13, 2016
Just as clarification, is it freezing when you step on the warp, or is it warping to a black screen, then freezing?
It freezes as soon as I step on the warp. I even tried linking it back to the downstairs like it normally is, and the same thing happened.

Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2012
The solution would be to change the hex code to load the image from the larger one's offset. You could do this by searching for the smaller images offset in a hex editor, and replacing it with the larger image's offset.

How would I find the smaller images offset? It was 46163C (Something similar I have it saved in notepad) but I was able to overwrite that with an image with an image with less kb. So when I go to where the smaller image was it's replaced but in game its still the old one.

Years
The solution would be to change the hex code to load the image from the larger one's offset. You could do this by searching for the smaller images offset in a hex editor, and replacing it with the larger image's offset.

I thought he would have to change the pointer to the offset? not the actual offset. i dunno i could be wrong :P

neway dude, lets assume ur sprites are named orig, replaced by sprite1, replaced by sprite2. if u want to change the pointer, just open up ur rom in a hex editor, split the offset of sprite1 up into bytes, reverse them and add 08 (so 46 16 3C would become [3C 16 46 08] <--- thats a pointer) use the find function to find where ever the sequence showed up. Take the offset of sprite2, make it a pointer and replace the pointers (note the position of it tho). Check if it changed, if not, go back, change the sequence back and find the next instance of the sequence. Thats assuming the intro sequence loads the pointer (which i'm pretty sure it does)

but thats really complicated... just start over with a fresh rom. When i first tried changing the intro hero, when i used the 'automatically fix pointers' it only changed the first time, when i inserted a new image after that for the intro hero, it didn't. So i think UnLZ only checks for the pointer 1 time. so back up ur rom each time u try, and restart the process if it messes up.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
When i first tried changing the intro hero, when i used the 'automatically fix pointers' it only changed the first time, when i inserted a new image after that for the intro hero, it didn't. So i think UnLZ only checks for the pointer 1 time. so back up ur rom each time u try, and restart the process if it messes up.

You're partially right in this regard. The first time around, you're replacing the actual hero sprite, and UNLZ.gba would then turn all pointers of the original image into pointers for the new image (Call it Image1). If you then try to change the image again (Call in Image2), you have to turn all pointers of Image1 into the pointers if Image2. So, opening up UNLZ.gba and going to the original original sprite, aka the one of Red or Leaf, putting in a new image, and trying to automatically repoint won't do anything, because nothing points to that image in the first place anymore. And I don't know, maybe you didn't do that, but I just want to make sure everyone who reads this understands.

So I applied a patch to my firered rom, (found here:http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=4156287&postcount=146) for new tiles since i suck at manually adding new ones in or creating them. But the problem is that whenever a door is used the tiles for the house get messed up. (Just apply the patch to a clean fire red rom and play it. you'll see what I mean)

When you say mess up, do you mean all the tiles glitch out, or are there little bits and pieces that sort of animate when you open a door? The latter happened to me once, and it's usually because the very last five or so tiles, while they may be invisible when editing tiles, are actually used for doors in games. When I make my tiles, i generally don't put anything in the last row, just to be safe.

Years
You're partially right in this regard. The first time around, you're replacing the actual hero sprite, and UNLZ.gba would then turn all pointers of the original image into pointers for the new image (Call it Image1). If you then try to change the image again (Call in Image2), you have to turn all pointers of Image1 into the pointers if Image2. So, opening up UNLZ.gba and going to the original original sprite, aka the one of Red or Leaf, putting in a new image, and trying to automatically repoint won't do anything, because nothing points to that image in the first place anymore. And I don't know, maybe you didn't do that, but I just want to make sure everyone who reads this understands.

oh lol... im a dolt... it didnt hit me till u mentioned it... that was like 2 years ago when i didn't kno what i was doing and just following the tutorials and playing around with the tools :P but it makes so much sense now :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back