• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Volcarona: Unova's Last Legendary

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
The Unova games were great in a lot of ways. Many ways.

...but they missed one small thing. Not making Volcarona a legendary Pokemon. It was the sun. It had its own hidden difficult to find chamber. In the chamber you can find Earthquake, one of the best TMs you can find. One of the Sages wants it...

BUT YET IT IS NOT A LEGENDARY POKEMON. It had every indication that it was going to become a legendary. And it should have. Yes it has a pre-evolution but Cosmog is a pre-evolution and its final evolution is a legendary!

Why do you think Volcarona wasn't given that all exciting legendary title? Do you consider it a legendary despite what the game says? Would have you replaced any of the current Unova legendaries for Volcarona?

pkmin3033

I think of Volcarona the same way I think of Rotom, sort of. It's one of those cool hidden Pokemon that is better than most of the Legendaries in the game but for some reason got passed over. I guess in Volcarona's case it was because it had a pre-evolution?

I'm not sure it can really be compared to Cosmog in any way other than with the benefit of hindsight...and isn't Cosmog technically an Ultra Beast? I know that's a question of semantics, but semantics seem to have become important to Pokemon in recent years, with all these different categories they've been adding. In Gen V we were just exploring forme changes. Since then we've had a split into Legendary and Mythical, Ultra Beasts, Mega Evolution, etc etc...

As for replacing a Legendary with Volcarona...Keldeo is a miserable excuse for a Legendary. Or Mythical. Or whatever. Although honestly both the Muskedeers and the Genies are poor excuses for Legendaries in both design and in-game appearance, and about on-par with mythology/backstory in comparison to Volcarona. With all the different categories we have now it should at least be reclassified as a Mythical Pokemon, in my opinion.

Especially when it's one of the few Gen V Pokemon that is legitimately freakin' cool.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Volcarona's Japanese name is Ulgamoth. Tyranitar using Dragon Pulse looks like atomic breath. Clearly they missed a trick by not giving Volcarona 600 BST and putting something about it being the mortal enemy of Tyranitar. After all, Gen III showed they don't have a problem with making 2 pseudo-legendaries in the same generation.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I think Volcarona really should have been one though (if it wasn't obvious already). For me the main selling point is that it had it's own far off location. Sure it would have been cooler to find a sleeping Reshiram or Zekrom there to catch instead but Volcarona is good too. Just give it a meaning!! Tbh it was something B2W2 should have addressed...although if we ever get a third version I can see it being the star honestly. A forgotten legendary only awaking its true forme years later.

...Volcarona: Eclipse Form.

Years
I definitely wouldn't be against making it a legendary Pokemon, but I feel like although the pseudo-legendarys are rare, they never really have their own really special feel to them and I felt like this chamber and stuff gave an aura around Volvarona that made it all the more special.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 5, 2021
If there weren't already two secondary legendary trio I would say yes, but I happen to prefer a lower number of legendaries per generation (one thing Gen 6 did right IMO)

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
I personally wouldn't consider Volcarona a legendary, but simply a rare Pokemon, and like someone else said, the Rotom of that generation. The distinction between legendary Pokemon and rare Pokemon has been made before, in that legendaries are rare, but rares aren't necessarily legendaries. It could also be noted that you could obtain Volcarona by getting Larvesta to level 59, but then again the entire Cosmog line are legendary and they're able to evolve, and also you could only get one Larvesta without breeding an already existing Volcarona. Also, Volcarona was hidden away right at the bottom of the Relic Castle and in BW, you had to beat the game and then navigate through a maze of rooms until you could find it. BW2, on the other hand, removed this puzzle and made it much easier to get Volcarona, but it was underlevelled as a result of how early you're able to get it.

Also, later generations pretty much destroyed Volcarona's rare status. One of the Mirage Spots in ORAS was home to Larvesta, and you could basically get as many Volcarona as you want.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 25, 2024
Gen V introduced the same amount of legendaries as Gen IV, so it's already more than enough. I like to think that Volcarona was intended to be a legendary Pokémon, until Gamefreak decided 9 was enough for BW, and created Larvesta. If anything, Volcarona should've been the 2nd Pseudo imo. It could even be Hydreigon's foil in Unovan fairytales thanks to its type advantage.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Gen V introduced the same amount of legendaries as Gen IV, so it's already more than enough. I like to think that Volcarona was intended to be a legendary Pokémon, until Gamefreak decided 9 was enough for BW, and created Larvesta. If anything, Volcarona should've been the 2nd Pseudo imo. It could even be Hydreigon's foil in Unovan fairytales thanks to its type advantage.

To be fair... it STILL could have been a legendary even with Larvesta. It definitely deserved to be a legendary more than the three tornado mons. They're pretty much copy/paste and then you have Volcarona: Unique, special, etc. Honestly if we had like, a moon based bug Pokemon Volcarona would have definitely been a legendary. Perhaps it was better suited for another region and not Unova. :c

Back