• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

Years
When OP says that if I change the color scheme, I'll mess up the palettes of other stuff, what do you mean by that? What other stuff could be messed?
I'm asking this, 'cause I'd like to have more than just the 16 colors. Is there a way to do that?
Also, the text in the summary of my Pokémon is weird, looking darker. All the game's text is normal, but the summary text. I'm using MrDS's newest Rombase.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT; Also, how can I change the palettes of the TMs and HMs to match the new types colors?

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
When OP says that if I change the color scheme, I'll mess up the palettes of other stuff, what do you mean by that? What other stuff could be messed?
I'm asking this, 'cause I'd like to have more than just the 16 colors. Is there a way to do that?
Also, the text in the summary of my Pokémon is weird, looking darker. All the game's text is normal, but the summary text. I'm using MrDS's newest Rombase.
Thanks in advance.

EDIT; Also, how can I change the palettes of the TMs and HMs to match the new types colors?

The only thing that I recall it messes up is the 'caught' pokeball image next to Pokemon you've caught in the Pokedex. It's minor, but still you should take that into account.
No, you can't have more than 16 colours. In order to do that, you'd have to change the ASM routines to read from 2 palettes, which is a bit advanced. So, unfortunately, you have to stick to the 16 colours. Actually 15, as one of them is the background colours, a.k.a. transparent.
The text colour thing may be due to the rombase, and it's really minor.
For TMs and HMS, go into an item editor, find the palette offset and change them, either the palette offset or the actual palette itself. There should be one for every type spread across the TMs/HMs except Bug, which you can just make a new palette for.

Years
The only thing that I recall it messes up is the 'caught' pokeball image next to Pokemon you've caught in the Pokedex. It's minor, but still you should take that into account.
No, you can't have more than 16 colours. In order to do that, you'd have to change the ASM routines to read from 2 palettes, which is a bit advanced. So, unfortunately, you have to stick to the 16 colours. Actually 15, as one of them is the background colours, a.k.a. transparent.
The text colour thing may be due to the rombase, and it's really minor.
For TMs and HMS, go into an item editor, find the palette offset and change them, either the palette offset or the actual palette itself. There should be one for every type spread across the TMs/HMs except Bug, which you can just make a new palette for.

I know the text thing is a minor issue, but it's really bugging my sight.
Also, I meant actually how can I change the TMs/HMs palettes? I don't know how to find a palette so I can change it (just discovered NSE through this tutorial, but can't find the TMs and HMs there...).
As for the colors, I was just expecting to make the types like the new Generations, where they are all single-colored. But no problem, I can live without it. Wasn't even expecting to change those in the first place. =P

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I know the text thing is a minor issue, but it's really bugging my sight.
Also, I meant actually how can I change the TMs/HMs palettes? I don't know how to find a palette so I can change it (just discovered NSE through this tutorial, but can't find the TMs and HMs there...).
As for the colors, I was just expecting to make the types like the new Generations, where they are all single-colored. But no problem, I can live without it. Wasn't even expecting to change those in the first place. =P

If you want one type = one colour, emerald is your best bet.
For Palettes, like I said, go to an Item Editor, go to one of the TMs, and find the palette offset. Some item editors might not have this. Now once you have that palette, you can open it in Advanced Palette Editor, (open the rom and paste the offset in). Or, more advanced, you can hex edit everything.
I don't think NSE has Item palettes, so you shouldn't use it for that.

Years
If you want one type = one colour, emerald is your best bet.
For Palettes, like I said, go to an Item Editor, go to one of the TMs, and find the palette offset. Some item editors might not have this. Now once you have that palette, you can open it in Advanced Palette Editor, (open the rom and paste the offset in). Or, more advanced, you can hex edit everything.
I don't think NSE has Item palettes, so you shouldn't use it for that.

Ok man, thanks for the help!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 24, 2015
Hey, im a bit of a noob with editing things, and couldnt quite understand when you said to export and edit the bitmap of the types. Could you please explain this a bit more?
EDIT: figured out the editing but now i dont understand when you say post the 0x60 things in HxD in a free space. How do I find the free space?

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hey, im a bit of a noob with editing things, and couldnt quite understand when you said to export and edit the bitmap of the types. Could you please explain this a bit more?
EDIT: figured out the editing but now i dont understand when you say post the 0x60 things in HxD in a free space. How do I find the free space?

Free Space is basically anywhere in the rom that is just a mass of FFs.
In this case, it would be anything between 0x71A23C (if i remember correctly) - around 0xD00000.
Just go to wherever you want, and paste the data there. Make sure to select the same amount of bytes, then paste. Otherwise, you'll extend the rom and you won't be able to play it.

Years
I followed the steps but I get a white screen after (did this like 10 times or more), please help, here are some things that can be noted:
-I didn't use a 1.0 fire red version cause I started editing before i decided to apply fairy type
-I didn't add the new palette offset to the hexes since i didn't change anything about the palette
well technically i just did / copied the steps on the msg except that i added only one type, and I just open the picture I made in NSE over and over again... Please helpp!! thanks :)

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years
I followed the steps but I get a white screen after (did this like 10 times or more), please help, here are some things that can be noted:
-I didn't use a 1.0 fire red version cause I started editing before i decided to apply fairy type
-I didn't add the new palette offset to the hexes since i didn't change anything about the palette
well technically i just did / copied the steps on the msg except that i added only one type, and I just open the picture I made in NSE over and over again... Please helpp!! thanks :)

it will only work with firered 1.0 like almost every tool ever, so only ever use 1.0

Pekin

Wigglytuff is and has always been on acid.
Years
First off, thanks a lot for this tutorial! I am having some issues here, though, I hope someone will be able to help - I'm not sure what exactly I'm doing wrong, so I'm gonna go ahead and specify what I've been doing - sorry if this is a bit frowned upon, I don't often post here, and sorry if I'm going into too much detail, I just wanna be thorough, because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong. I've only gotten as far as completing step 1, but the game crashes right after the intro-battle-video thing stops.

Firstly, I'm starting off with MrDollSteak's Decap & Attack Rombase, so it's not like I'm making things easier for myself, I guess, with new pointers and offsets and whatnot. Mind you, I'm still pretty new to hex editing, but I think I understand the basics.

Anyway, as for finding the image in the first place, I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to use the one located at 961C00, because where (in an unmodified ROM) I would normally find the pointer DC5DE908, I found 001C9608 - and NSE supports my theory, it seems:
Spoiler:

I edited the height to 18 before exporting, made my new type graphics and (succesfully?) inserted my new image at the offset 96571C. Then, I went back to the pointer 001C9608 and changed it to 1C579608 to match my new offset. So far, so good, the game doesn't crash or anything, when I open it at this point, and the type icons show up okay. (not the two new types, I didn't test for those, as I figured they weren't really implemented as icons for any type yet) Here's the image I inserted, I didn't change the palette, and I only used colors I could already find in the image I exported:
Spoiler:

Now, this is where things went wrong - apparently. Like with the other offset, here I went to 96197C instead of 452C94 by looking at the pointer that I'm later told to edit. So, I go to 96197C, select 64 blocks instead of 60, because MrDollSteak has already added the Fairy type, and the last 4 of those 64 bytes clearly seem to be the Fairy type. So I copy those 64 bytes and insert them at 967B1D, right after where I inserted the image, with only a few bytes of free space between them. Then I add the bytes for Digital and Cosmic at the end of the table (20 0C AC 00 and 20 0C 08 01, respectively) and finally, I find 7C199608 and replace it with 1D7B9608.

And NOW, the game crashes on start-up. Also, upon further inspection, something now seems to be wrong with the image I inserted. This is the offset where I inserted it, and this should still be the same palette, but the colors are clearly all wrong:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Aug 16, 2015
But what about type advantages and super effective? do you have to hack that in too? cause adding types can change a whole lot.

Graykis23390

Graykis Jiang
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 9, 2019
I'm trying to refer to the tutorial to do the new types, but I seem to still have a lot of things don't understand, you can under the guidance of me?

Years
Can you please explain what's going wrong with me?
I click "POKEMON", then click "BPRE" So far so good, however when I click "Hud", does not appear to "PKMN" option.
Please help meeeeeeee, I really want for the fairy type. ;(

Salintra League Master Jason

Salintra League Champion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 9, 2016
When I search my rom for the hex value "DC5DE908" in step 1, I get an error telling me that offset doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
When I search my rom for the hex value "DC5DE908" in step 1, I get an error telling me that offset doesn't exist. What am I doing wrong?

You searched in a hex editor right?
Did you search for bytes? You might have searched for text instead.
If you're talking about going to the offset, that's different. The offset would be E95DDC

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 17, 2016
Hey guys, may I please get some help on this? Whenever editing my bitmap image, my MSPaint always switches the color palette out with something odd, and I don't know why. I'm using the basic paint program that comes with Windows 10. Goes from the normal version to this whenever I save my edit(although it isn't finished yet):
imgur.com/13q4EwN
Would've posted it in picture form, but for some reason it glitched...

Back