• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
I want to insert MYSTICTICKET as a Hidden Item in the game. Is there any way I can make the Sailor at the Vermillion City Port acknowledge the ticket without having activated the Nintendo Event to get to Naval Rock? Something in his script to be removed or the script tile in front of him perhaps?

The game will check certain flags. You need to set Mystic Ticket's flag when giving the item to the player. I think it is in this list: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=302347

I use OWE to import them, but to resize them, you have to do that. I did it on paint.

OWE is old. NSE Classic is a 100x better option and has many more features, but uses the same basic interface as OWE.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2023
I have just started learning XSE and general 3rd gen ROM hacking and I was wondering are there any tutorials or just general advice for creating a custom safari zone script?

(note: I'm sorry if I am causing anyone here any trouble but I just felt I should ask this question because I myself am completely lost on how to even start such a task, also thank you in advance for any help you all can give me.)

karatekid552

Years
I have just started learning XSE and general 3rd gen ROM hacking and I was wondering are there any tutorials or just general advice for creating a custom safari zone script?

(note: I'm sorry if I am causing anyone here any trouble but I just felt I should ask this question because I myself am completely lost on how to even start such a task, also thank you in advance for any help you all can give me.)

I would learn scripting really well before attempting a safari zone. However, when you do, go look at all of the scripts that exist in the safari zone. This will give you an idea of how it works.

Years
Just a quick question. I've been searching for some kind of documentation on what all the different sounds/fanfares that exist in the game are with no success. I mean mostly small sounds such as opening doors and stuff. If anybody has a link to such a resource that would be such an amazing help.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
so ive been trying to expand some of my pokemon ows to 32x32, and in the tut i read it says it takes up a lot of memory to do that, so i was wondering how much memory it would take up if i made all of the pokemon sprites currently in FR to 32x32? People tell me not to but i cant help but always be paranoid that im going to run out of memory, haha.

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Just a quick question. I've been searching for some kind of documentation on what all the different sounds/fanfares that exist in the game are with no success. I mean mostly small sounds such as opening doors and stuff. If anybody has a link to such a resource that would be such an amazing help.

I have a research thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=303340

so ive been trying to expand some of my pokemon ows to 32x32, and in the tut i read it says it takes up a lot of memory to do that, so i was wondering how much memory it would take up if i made all of the pokemon sprites currently in FR to 32x32? People tell me not to but i cant help but always be paranoid that im going to run out of memory, haha.

My game is based off of DP OWs. It's not a big deal AT ALL. You can do it, it's not even twice the size of an original 16 x 32. It's like a fourth larger.

Last edited:

karatekid552

Years
I have a research thread: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=303340

My game is based off of DP OWs. It's not a big deal AT ALL. You can do it, it's not even twice the size of an original 16 x 32. It's like a fourth larger.

Actually, the way data is size is measured is:

( Length x Width ) / 2

So, actually, it takes up twice the space. Uncompressed data, like OWs, is stored a half-byte per pixel, or 4 bits. 32 x 32 = 1024 pixels so 512 bytes. 16 x 32 is 512 pixels so 256 bytes. 200% larger. Not 125%. Still, it is not that much data if you do it right. My title screen for Derpizard Contamination weighs in at roughly 1.3mbs. That is 1,300,000 bytes. So, don't worry.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
So, I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the pallets for the HGSS Ows? Because I want to have them in my hack, and i pretty much want to know what their layout was for those games. Like in FR how they have about 5 pallets that covers all of their sprites. Do the HGSS games have that? Or did they end up making seperate palleets for each OW?

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
So, I was wondering if anyone knew where i could find the pallets for the HGSS Ows? Because I want to have them in my hack, and i pretty much want to know what their layout was for those games. Like in FR how they have about 5 pallets that covers all of their sprites. Do the HGSS games have that? Or did they end up making seperate palleets for each OW?

Uhhh this is what I would do if I were you.

1) Look up the sprite/palette you need from HGSS.
2) Take that sprite to infraview or whatever it's called and decrease the color depth to 16.
3) Export the palette.

In FR it just worked out that they only need a certain number or palettes because a lot of things had the same colour schemes. I think for HGSS they might have had an individual palette for each pokemon, since they had A LOT more space than the gameboy advanced games.

Don't quote me on this information, I could be wrong. :P

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Uhhh this is what I would do if I were you.

1) Look up the sprite/palette you need from HGSS.
2) Take that sprite to infraview or whatever it's called and decrease the color depth to 16.
3) Export the palette.

In FR it just worked out that they only need a certain number or palettes because a lot of things had the same colour schemes. I think for HGSS they might have had an individual palette for each pokemon, since they had A LOT more space than the gameboy advanced games.

Don't quote me on this information, I could be wrong. :P
and what program do i use to look at the OWs? Ive looked into one of the DS OW editors but i couldnt get it to work right.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
and what program do i use to look at the OWs? Ive looked into one of the DS OW editors but i couldnt get it to work right.

I just look mine up on google, for example. If I wanted to find alakazam, I would search "Heartgold alakazam overworld", and this is what popped up.

http://pldh.net/dex/sprites/alakazam

And you can see all the sprites there, and you just right click each individual sprite and 'Save image as'.

Years
  • Seen Feb 15, 2015
So I'm trying to make several new maps, but when I create one where does it go? How can I add it to the map bank and be able to access it? I've heard I might need to expand the map bank, but how do I do that?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
When you press the 'Create Map' button, you press the 'Insert Map' button after that, right? If so, then the window that pops up will tell you where your maps will go.

Years
I'm trying to add sprites to my hack (using Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor), but when I click "Synchronize Palettes" I get an unhanded exception error message saying "Index was outside the bounds of the array". Does anyone know how to fix this?

GoGoJJTech

(☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)
Years
Its not a big deal. Just go back in and press import, but dont click synchronize pallettes again.

Years
Its not a big deal. Just go back in and press import, but dont click synchronize pallettes again.

I get the sprites to look normal on the top row, but on the bottom row they look all glitchy, and they look that way in the game as well. The video tutorial I watched clicked synchronize palettes to make them look the way they should.

Years
  • Seen Jul 14, 2020
hey guys, so id hate to ask this, but ive never used a hex editor before and im trying to use a tut to add new pallets to my OWs, but I cant follow the tut, I get lost with how it works, and I wanted to know if anyone could help me out?

this is the tut im using.
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275160

Well what do you need help with? Please try to be more specific on this thread. Where do you get lost?

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Well what do you need help with? Please try to be more specific on this thread. Where do you get lost?

When it says to paste the offset into the hex editor, then it says to open the unmodified rom and copy 64 bytes. I dont get why it says to paste it in an modified rom, then save it, then copy 64 bytes out of the unmodified one.
Pretty much all of step 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back