• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Eon Duo/Weather Trio deck

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 13, 2017
Hello, I am fairly new to the TGC aspect of pokemon cards, I've been collecting them for a while, and have gathered some quite rare cards, and I have made sure that all cards in this deck are 100% real. Keep in mind this is a mixed generation deck, the oldest card being from 1999, that's a psycic energy card, the oldest pokemon card in the deck, as in what I would be able to play in the game, not a trainer or energy card, is from 2006. I dubbed this deck the "Eon Duo/Weather Trio deck because they are the sets of legends that I've included in this deck, NOTE: the original version of this post had a different version of this deck, I'm updating this post to reflect the changes. Instead of putting all the info, I'm putting the card and the set number.

I've actually edited the deck massively, I took all the other legends but the Weather Trio and Eon Duo, I kept the Electabuzz evolution, added the torchic, Mudkip and Pikachu evolution, and edited the trainer cards slightly, I don't feel like putting all of their stats out again, this is my deck currently:
Primal Kyogre EX PRC-149
Kyogre EX PR-XY41
Rayquaza PR-XY141
Groudon EM-5
Latias POP7-3
Latios POP7-4
Electrode SF-36
Voltorb SF-80
Raichu AR-27
Pikachu PK-57
Electivire SW-25
Electabuzz SW-87
Blaziken POP1-1
Combusken PL-45
Torchic GE-89
Swampert PRC-35
Marshtomp CG-24
Mudkip PRC-33
This is next part is going to be a bit easier. This is going into the trainer cards
I have 3 potions, 1 energy removal, 1 full heal, 1 computer search, 1 parallel city, 1 memory berry, 1 reserved ticket, 1 bill, 1 pokenav, 1 assault vest, 1 lucky egg, 1 professor sycamore, 1 shauna, 1 bench shield, 1 masterball and 1 energy search. Here are their set numbers in order.
SW-127
BS-92
BS-82
BS-71
BKT-145
PL-110
BKT-147
BS-91
CG-83
BKT-133
AR-88
PHF-101
PHF-104
AR-83
DS-99
DP-117
now onto the energy. I have 1 upper energy (RR-102) and 1 Rainbow energy (PL-121) I also have 4 water, 4 grass, 4 fighting, 5 fire and 5 lightening energy cards.

Edit2: I'm not looking to go to a tournament (yet), I know the first version of this post said I was, but things have changed, and I decided to find my style of playing first, which is something I should have done in the first place. I'm currently working on casual decks to play with my friends.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Let's begin..

- You have 20 UNIQUE Pokemon. That needs to be fixed. A focused deck is a happy deck.
- An ideal ratio for a "standard" deck in my opinion is 17-20 Pokemon, 10-15 Energy, and the rest as Trainers.
- Most tournaments use the Standard format. Until next August, this allows cards from the Primal Clash set and newer (2015 or newer). Almost all of your cards are not allowed in this format. Of the ones I bothered to search, Kyogre EX and the appropriate Primal are legal (as they are from Primal Clash), there are no non-EX Giratina in Standard, Master Ball is an Ace Spec and therefore inherently non-standard, And Bill is from Base Set (or HGSS, but still). This will need to be fixed prior to an official tournament.
- As a side note, that is not at all how a deck is supposed to be formatted and I imagine that took way more of your time than listing out the names, sets, and numbers of each card.
- There are a LOT of unfinished evolution lines with no true purpose here. Croagunk, Voltorb, and Electabuzz are the obvious ones from a quick glance. While unfinished lines are acceptable in many instances (see: Eelektric NVI), those are not.
- Lastly and most importantly, there seems to be no theme to this deck. Sure the "who can evolve the fastest" decks like this work alright in friendly battles, but tournament play requires your deck to have some strategy behind it. "Do tons of damage for no energy with X" or "Power up Y and start killing things" or "Get out either X, Y, or Z quickly depending on the opponent" are perfectly viable strategies, but this is just a mess. A good deck, with the exceptions of support pokemon, pokemon that attack for only Colorless energy, and Toolbox decks built around Rainbow Energy, rarely uses more than two types, and I personally only usually use one. You have six. In fact, I very rarely use more than 2 full evolution lines, and then only if one is designed to support and they both cap at Stage 1.

As for building the thing up from the ground, there are a number of very good ways to do this. You can look up a top deck and buy the cards from it (this often ends up in the $100+ range, $50 of which are for the obligatory pair of Shaymin EX and can be omitted). You can also go to your local Pokemon League and ask someone to show you the ropes, if its anything like my League there will certainly be people willing to help. Actually weather you build a deck or need help I'd find a Pokemon League and try to make a habit of attending. It is by FAR the best way to get into the game. I can't tell you where your closest is, but the Pokemon Event Locator can. Here are the results within a 100 mile radius from a randomly selected point in Louisiana (Baton Rouge). If none of these work or my randomly selected point was wrong, use the service yourself to find one.

Sorry I can't help more, but its hard to help without knowing what cards I'm working with.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
ddrox has pretty much summed it up best, although I'd say (for me) the ideal spread is 10-18 Pokemon.

There's also a list of staple trainers you'll want to hunt down which are

Professor Sycamore (run 2-4)
Lysandre (1-3)
N (again, 2-4)
VS Seeker (3-4)
Trainer Mail (2-4)
Ultra Ball (4)
Hex Maniac (1)
Switch (1-4)

Most of those can be found here in the Battle set thing which will be much cheaper than hunting them down alone.

These work in virtually any, any deck. There are a bunch more great trainers that are a bit more situational to your deck (Shauna, Rough Seas, Scorched Earth, Delinquent etc)

What kind of deck are you wanting to run? Give us a loose idea and we can help you build one. You could do a pretty decent eeveelutions deck (though limit it to like 4 of them) or a Ho-Oh deck.

(this often ends up in the $100+ range, $50 of which are for the obligatory pair of Shaymin EX and can be omitted)

These things are usually classed as staples too but I really don't think they're worth the cash. Octillery from Breakthrough does something very similar and is going to be in the Keldeo/Rayquaza battle box I mentioned earlier.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 13, 2017
I've actually edited the deck massively, I took all the other legends but the Weather Trio and Eon Duo, I kept the Electabuzz evolution, added the torchic, Mudkip and Pikachu evolution, and edited the trainer cards slightly, I don't feel like putting all of their stats out again, this is my deck currently: Primal Kyogre EX PRC-149
Kyogre EX PR-XY41
Rayquaza PR-XY141
Groudon EM-5
Latias POP7-3
Latios POP7-4
Electrode SF-36
Voltorb SF-80
Raichu AR-27
Pikachu PK-57
Electivire SW-25
Electabuzz SW-87
Blaziken POP1-1
Combusken PL-45
Torchic GE-89
Swampert PRC-35
Marshtomp CG-24
Mudkip PRC-33
This is next part is going to be a bit easier. This is going into the trainer cards
I have 3 potions, 1 energy removal, 1 full heal, 1 computer search, 1 parallel city, 1 memory berry, 1 reserved ticket, 1 bill, 1 pokenav, 1 assault vest, 1 lucky egg, 1 professor sycamore, 1 shauna, 1 bench shield, 1 masterball and 1 energy search. Here are their set numbers in order.
SW-127
BS-92
BS-82
BS-71
BKT-145
PL-110
BKT-147
BS-91
CG-83
BKT-133
AR-88
PHF-101
PHF-104
AR-83
DS-99
DP-117
now onto the energy. I have 1 upper energy (RR-102) and 1 Rainbow energy (PL-121) I also have 4 water, 4 grass, 4 fighting, 5 fire and 5 lightening energy cards.

Also, the electabuzz/Electivire evolution line I use is from before Elekid came into the line (i think, because my electivire is only a stage one, and the electabuzz is a basic) and just a reminder, I'm not looking for a tournament legal deck yet, this is more or less for practice and to battle with friends. I will be trying to build a tournament legal deck within a year or so, so I will be taking notes.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
You literally cannot run a deck on 1x of each of your Pokemon. That's not how the game works.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 13, 2017
You literally cannot run a deck on 1x of each of your Pokemon. That's not how the game works.

While I do get why you posted this, and I have (Somewhat) adjusted my deck for this, adding in more of the same pokemon, you can't exactly say that the game cannot be played with one of each pokemon card. It's somewhat reckless, almost always going to be beaten unless you're deck is filled with excellent cards that can hit heavily and take damage, but it can be done. I'm not saying you're 100% wrong, as it is highly recommended that you have multiple of each pokemon in some kind of order, it is not against the rules. Keep in mind I am just looking for a deck I can play casually with friends for now. Finally, I respect and appreciate your advice, but could you expand on this? Currently Primal Kyogre EX is my staple card of sorts, as it does the most damage in my deck per turn, obviously Kyogre EX cannot be removed, but I can remove the others. Keep in mind that I am new to the Pokemon TCG aspect, as I've only collected thus far. In this deck, I'll use cards from any generation, so if you have specific cards please just tell me the card name and set number that you would want me to put in this deck, along with the card I should take out and remove. Thank you.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Okay, do you have any advice as to how I would fix this issue? As in what cards I should take out and replace.

As stated in my original post and DDRox13's post you'll need to focus up everything. There has been no format in this game's history where running 1x of each of your pokemon has ever worked

http://pastebin.com/tLcLk7Mz

Here's the rough draft of a deck I'm making at the moment, the first thing we need to look at is my main line(s)

x4 Altaria-EX
x4 M Altaria-EX

Notice I have x4 of each? (You don't have to have 4x of anything, but that is the most you can have, excluding basic energy) This is my main line, the idea is to get M-Altaria ready and set up.

Then my support lines are

x2 Cottonee AOR
x2 Whimsicott AOR

Which are throwaway, one use pokemon (Whimsicott allows you to move a massive amount of damage from one of your pokemon to your opponent's pokemon)

And my opening support line

x2 Xerneas
x1 Xerneas BREAK

Which are there to get a good set up early on, deal damage, soak up hits and hopefully take down an enemy or two.

All 15 Pokemon serve a purpose here whilst providing a consistent draw rate (since they're all duplicated). This is what we mean by focus.

You need to pick a main line (or two) and build it up, then you need to find pokemon that provide bench support either to your main line, your draw speed or to derail your opponent.

Since you have primal Kyogre already it might be worth going with that. Try and up the line to 3x of both Kyogre EX and the primal.

Manaphy EX is an excellent support Pokemon for water decks, as is Octillery (it's in the trainer battle thing I linked you in my first post) Palkia EX can also be a great help in setting up Kyogre on the bench.

You really need to pick 1-2 types and stick with it. That's just how the game is. You only need between 8-14 Energy too. I'd say if you want to go the Kyogre route get 10 Water and 3 Double Colourless.

While I do get why you posted this, and I have (Somewhat) adjusted my deck for this, adding in more of the same pokemon, you can't exactly say that the game cannot be played with one of each pokemon card. It's somewhat reckless, almost always going to be beaten unless you're deck is filled with excellent cards that can hit heavily and take damage, but it can be done. I'm not saying you're 100% wrong, as it is highly recommended that you have multiple of each pokemon in some kind of order, it is not against the rules. Keep in mind I am just looking for a deck I can play casually with friends for now.

As a former city champion I am telling you there is no current deck you will beat like this.

Last edited:
Years
As someone who used to play against myself all the time back in my own teens, I can tell you that even the theme decks I bought wiped the floor with any deck I had that was running just one of each Pokemon, because the theme decks were running more than one of the Basic and Stage 1 Pokemon they needed to get up to the featured Stage 2.

This deck will get ran over hard because it tries to run too many Pokemon of too many different types. Unfortunately, the two cards you've chosen to center it around have no synergy.

Which 2 Pokemon would you like to center this deck around?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 13, 2017
As someone who used to play against myself all the time back in my own teens, I can tell you that even the theme decks I bought wiped the floor with any deck I had that was running just one of each Pokemon, because the theme decks were running more than one of the Basic and Stage 1 Pokemon they needed to get up to the featured Stage 2.

This deck will get ran over hard because it tries to run too many Pokemon of too many different types. Unfortunately, the two cards you've chosen to center it around have no synergy.

Which 2 Pokemon would you like to center this deck around?

I guess it would really count as 3, since you can't get rid of Kyogre EX and keep Primal Kyogre EX, but I'm thinking about centering it around the Kyogres and a Tropius I have, it has Fly, Blessed Fruit and Solarbeam, Blessed fruit being able to completely heal a benched pokemon, and fly having the potential to avoid all effects from attacks. EDIT: I've narrowed my deck down to grass and Water, having 12 water types, including the 2 kyogres, a manaphy, the swampert evoluvion line, the octillery line, and the pelipper line. (I need to add duplicates, but I don't have the cards, I just need to buy/trade for them.) and 7 grass cards, including Celebi, Tropius, Shaymin and Shaymin X, 2/3 of the Meganiunm line. Again, I need to add in more cards, also I have evenly distributed the energy cards between grass and water, including 2 special colorless energy.

EDIT2: So, until I can get correct duplicates, I've gotten cards from other sets, and I'm still looking for other duplicates. This is my current deck. As I said before, I still need to track down duplicates for other cards, these will be marked with a TD for track duplicate.

Primal Kyogre EX PRC-55
Kyogre EX PR-XY41 (TD)
Manaphy DP-9 (TD)
Swampert PRC-35 (TD)
Marshtomp CG-24
Mudkip CG-58 (TD) (I have 2 different versions of this card, they aren't duplicates, but the other is a replacement)
Octillery PL-58
Remoraid PL-90 (TD)
Pelipper GE-48
Wingull AR-80 (TD)
Celebi PR-XY93 (TD)
Tropius RR-52 (TD)
Shaymin X DP-39
Shaymin PL-38
Bayleef MT-41
Chikorita CL-53 (TD)

Of course when I get the duplicates I will need to make more adjustments to fit these cards into the deck without going over the 60 card limit. These are the trainer cards I have.

Bill
Switch x3
Pokeball
Computer search
Full Heal
Memory Berry
Energy Search
Master ball
Parallel City
Bench Shield
Pokemon Rescue
Dusk Ball
Assault Vest
Potion x3
Shauna
Tierno
Pokenav

The trainers are also something I need to adjust for. I just need to know which cards I can replace, and which cards need to stay.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I guess it would really count as 3, since you can't get rid of Kyogre EX and keep Primal Kyogre EX, but I'm thinking about centering it around the Kyogres and a Tropius I have, it has Fly, Blessed Fruit and Solarbeam, Blessed fruit being able to completely heal a benched pokemon, and fly having the potential to avoid all effects from attacks. EDIT: I've narrowed my deck down to grass and Water, having 12 water types, including the 2 kyogres, a manaphy, the swampert evoluvion line, the octillery line, and the pelipper line. (I need to add duplicates, but I don't have the cards, I just need to buy/trade for them.) and 7 grass cards, including Celebi, Tropius, Shaymin and Shaymin X, 2/3 of the Meganiunm line. Again, I need to add in more cards, also I have evenly distributed the energy cards between grass and water, including 2 special colorless energy.

EDIT2: So, until I can get correct duplicates, I've gotten cards from other sets, and I'm still looking for other duplicates. This is my current deck. As I said before, I still need to track down duplicates for other cards, these will be marked with a TD for track duplicate.

Primal Kyogre EX PRC-55
Kyogre EX PR-XY41 (TD)
Manaphy DP-9 (TD)
Swampert PRC-35 (TD)
Marshtomp CG-24
Mudkip CG-58 (TD) (I have 2 different versions of this card, they aren't duplicates, but the other is a replacement)
Octillery PL-58
Remoraid PL-90 (TD)
Pelipper GE-48
Wingull AR-80 (TD)
Celebi PR-XY93 (TD)
Tropius RR-52 (TD)
Shaymin X DP-39
Shaymin PL-38
Bayleef MT-41
Chikorita CL-53 (TD)

Of course when I get the duplicates I will need to make more adjustments to fit these cards into the deck without going over the 60 card limit. These are the trainer cards I have.

Bill
Switch x3
Pokeball
Computer search
Full Heal
Memory Berry
Energy Search
Master ball
Parallel City
Bench Shield
Pokemon Rescue
Dusk Ball
Assault Vest
Potion x3
Shauna
Tierno
Pokenav

The trainers are also something I need to adjust for. I just need to know which cards I can replace, and which cards need to stay.

That's looking a lot better, I'd still say drop down to fewer lines to raise consistency but understandably you're playing with what you've got.

Trainerwise you really want

(these ones are in so many sets it'd be asinine to list)
3-4x Professor Sycamore (Juniper does the same thing if you have any of those for now)
3-4x Ultra Ball
1-2x Lysandre
2-3x N
1-2x Skyla
2-4x VS Seekers (these are currently stupidly expensive)

Set specific:

1x Hex Maniac (Ancient Origins)
2x Forest of Giant Plants (Ancient Origins - only if you stick with a grass line)
2x Rough Seas (Primal Clash)
4x Dive Ball (Primal Clash)

http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/08/karen-to-be-released-in-keldeo-vs-rayquaza-battle-arena-decks

This has virtually every trainer you'll need, most of them in the right numbers too. From what you have Trainerwise right now the only thing I'd say is really worth keeping is the 3x Swith (really useful card) Tierno is alright, but it's just a worse Bill and since you're running a causal deck that isn't restricted by formats I'd say ditch Tierno altogether and up the Bills for now.

EDIT

I've included a rough deck list for standard (the format any tournaments you may attend in the future will be running) based on what you've put forward so far. Tropius is an unplayable card (not just by format) It takes too long to power up and has a weak amount of HP that most decks will be able to take out with 1 hit by their second turn. M Sceptile isn't just an incredible attacker, it also sets up your bench with energy and heals up to two of them from all damage as well for the same cost it takes Tropius to heal just one. Manaphy EX elminates retreat cost for all your pokemon with a water energy attached and Virizion 1 hits Carbink and Carbink BREAK if you're even 1 prize behind.

Pokemon: 18

3x Primal Kyogre EX
3x Kyogre EX
1x Manaphy EX
2x Octillery (BREAKTHROUGH)
2x Remoraid
2x Virizion (Ancient Origins)
3x Sceptile EX (Ancient Origins)
2x M Sceptile EX (Ancient Origins)

Trainers: 28

3x Professor Sycamore
3x Pokemon Fan Club
2x Lysandre
1x Pokemon Center Lady
1x Skyla

2x Forest of Giant Plants
3x Rough Seas

3x Ultra Ball
3x Dive Ball
2x VS Seeker
2x Sceptile Spirit Link
2x Kyogre Spirit Link

Energy: 14

7x Grass
7x Water

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 13, 2017
That's looking a lot better, I'd still say drop down to fewer lines to raise consistency but understandably you're playing with what you've got.

Trainerwise you really want

(these ones are in so many sets it'd be asinine to list)
3-4x Professor Sycamore (Juniper does the same thing if you have any of those for now)
3-4x Ultra Ball
1-2x Lysandre
2-3x N
1-2x Skyla
2-4x VS Seekers (these are currently stupidly expensive)

Set specific:

2x Forest of Giant Plants (Ancient Origins - only if you stick with a grass line)
2x Rough Seas (Primal Clash)
4x Dive Ball (Primal Clash)

http://www.pokebeach.com/2016/08/karen-to-be-released-in-keldeo-vs-rayquaza-battle-arena-decks

This has virtually every trainer you'll need, most of them in the right numbers too. From what you have Trainerwise right now the only thing I'd say is really worth keeping is the 3x Swith (really useful card) Tierno is alright, but it's just a worse Bill and since you're running a causal deck that isn't restricted by formats I'd say ditch Tierno altogether and up the Bills for now.

EDIT

I've included a rough deck list for standard (the format any tournaments you may attend in the future will be running) based on what you've put forward so far. Tropius is an unplayable card (not just by format) It takes too long to power up and has a weak amount of HP that most decks will be able to take out with 1 hit by their second turn. M Sceptile isn't just an incredible attacker, it also sets up your bench with energy and heals up to two of them from all damage as well for the same cost it takes Tropius to heal just one. Manaphy EX elminates retreat cost for all your pokemon with a water energy attached and Virizion 1 hits Carbink and Carbink BREAK if you're even 1 prize behind.

Pokemon: 18

3x Primal Kyogre EX
3x Kyogre EX
1x Manaphy EX
2x Octillery (BREAKTHROUGH)
2x Remoraid
2x Virizion (Ancient Origins)
3x Sceptile EX (Ancient Origins)
2x M Sceptile EX (Ancient Origins)

Trainers: 28

3x Professor Sycamore
3x Pokemon Fan Club
2x Lysandre
1x Pokemon Center Lady
1x Skyla

2x Forest of Giant Plants
3x Rough Seas

3x Ultra Ball
3x Dive Ball
2x VS Seeker
2x Sceptile Spirit Link
2x Kyogre Spirit Link

Energy: 14

7x Grass
7x Water

I'm not looking to have a standard deck for tournaments, though I will be using the rough deck as an example to set my deck on. Currently I have to do with the one I have, I'm kind of on a budget, but when I'm able to I will be getting cards to improve my deck. As for the tropuis issue, I know it's not the smartest idea, but usually what I do is keep my healers on the bench, putting energy on them, using a quick attacker or heavy hitter to do damage, and when it takes too much damage I switch them out, using Blessed fruit to heal the attacker, and when the healer is taken out I put my attacker back on the active slot. It's not the smartest idea when you're opponent is running a pro deck, but again, it's what I have to play with for now.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
I'm not looking to have a standard deck for tournaments, though I will be using the rough deck as an example to set my deck on. Currently I have to do with the one I have, I'm kind of on a budget, but when I'm able to I will be getting cards to improve my deck. As for the tropuis issue, I know it's not the smartest idea, but usually what I do is keep my healers on the bench, putting energy on them, using a quick attacker or heavy hitter to do damage, and when it takes too much damage I switch them out, using Blessed fruit to heal the attacker, and when the healer is taken out I put my attacker back on the active slot. It's not the smartest idea when you're opponent is running a pro deck, but again, it's what I have to play with for now.

The problem isn't how you're playing Tropius, you're playing it right, it's just not a good card for it. If i was facing it down and I knew how much it could heal I'd be lysandre'ing it out as quick as I could and one hitting it.

You'd be better off running a more reliable healer, or trainers that heal.

Back