• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My 1st Competetive Battling Team

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
My Team:

638.gif

1. Cobalion
Nature: Impish. EVs: 252 DEF, 128 ATK, 128 SPD
Ability: Justified. Held Item: Sitrus Berry
Moveset: Swords Dance, Rock Polish, Sacred Sword, Iron Head​

609.gif

2. Chandelure
Nature: Modest. EVs: 252 SATK, 128 DEF, 128 SDEF
Ability: Flash Fire. Held Item: Life Orb
Moveset: Flame Charge, Fire Blast, Shadow Ball, Hidden Power (Fighting)​

373.gif

3. Salamence
Nature: Adamant. EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 SDEF
Ability: Intimidate. Held Item: Life Orb
Moveset: Outrage, Fire Blast, Earthquake, Dragon Dance​

134.gif

4. Vaporeon
Nature: Bold. EVs: 188 HP, 252 DEF, 68 SATK
Ability: Water Absorb. Held Item: Leftovers
Moveset: Wish, Protect, Scald, Ice Beam​

376.gif

5. Metagross
Nature: Adamant. EVs: 252 HP, 252 ATK, 4 SPD
Ability: Clear Body. Held Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset: Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Ice Punch, Pursuit​

113.gif

6. Chansey
Nature: Calm. EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDEF, 4 SPD
Ability: Natural Cure. Held Item: Evolite
Moveset: Softboiled, Protect, Seismic Toss, Toxic​

Uhh...Discuss.​

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
NOTE: I have yet to decide EVs and Natures for each of my pokemon. I just started Pokemon White, and plan to make this team once I beat the game. For now, I am mostly concerned about the strategies and movesets of each pokemon.​

My Team:​

638.gif

1. Cobalion
Ability: Justified. Held Item: Sitrus Berry
Moveset: Swords Dance, Rock Polish, Sacred Sword, Iron Head​

My Lead. While some leads are busy setting up spikes and whatnot, I power up Cobalion with Swords Dance and Rock Polish. Then I let loose with Sacred Sword and Iron Head.​

609.gif

2. Chandelure
Ability: Flash Fire. Held Item: Ghost Gem
Moveset: Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Sunny Day, Solarbeam​

Chandelure sucks up fire for Cobalion. The Ghost Gem makes Shadow Ball alot more powerful. Flamethrower is great as it is, and can be boosted with Sunny Day. Solarbeam gets rid of unwanted Bulky Waters.​

373.gif

3. Salamence
Ability: Intimidate. Held Item: Life Orb
Moveset: Outrage, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Crunch​

The Sweeper. Earthquake and Crunch are the main attacking moves, while Stone Edge gets rid of Ice-types. Outrage wraps things up, and kills everything in sight.​

134.gif

4. Vaporeon
Ability: Water Absorb. Held Item: Leftovers
Moveset: Wish, Protect, Surf, Ice Beam​

The Support member. The Wish/Protect combo helps out other pokemon who would be low on health. Surf for STAB, and Ice Beam to kill GARCHOMP and SALAMENCE.​

376.gif

5. Metagross
Ability: Clear Body. Held Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset: Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, Earthquake​

The Choice Member, and secondary sweeper when not faced against certain pokemon. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt provide STAB. Bullet Punch is priority, and revenge kills. Earthquake is just a good move in general. Metagross is also a good Physical wall, too.​

113.gif

6. Chansey
Ability: Natural Cure. Held Item: Evolite
Moveset: Softboiled, Minimize, Seismic Toss, Toxic​

The Special Wall. Quite the Standard moveset. Seismic Toss and Toxic do damage, while Chansey spams Minimize, and then uses Softboiled when in trouble.​

Uhh...Discuss.​

Few questions.

1) - Why does Chandelure have Solarbeam and Sunny Day?
2) - Why doesn't Vaporeon have Scald?
3) - Minimize is banned. It's a crappy hax move.
4) - Why does Salamence have Crunch? :(
5) - Ghost Gem? lolwut?

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
@Dragonomega

The answer to your questions.

1. To kill Water types
2. I don't prefer Scald. Although the burn effect is AWESOME, Surf is more powerful, and gets the job done better.
3. It Is? Darn :\
4. Fine. I heard Dragon Dance is good. Should I use it?
5. To make Shadow Ball deadlier. I tried a Flying Gem on a Briviary(181 ATK at Level 50, EV trained, of course), and It killed nearly everything (1st Time) with Brave Bird.

Hectic

Dew yew liek Tyranitars?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 16, 2013
Can we get the Ev's? It helps make judgments.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While Terrakion may not have Cobalion's good defensive typing, it's better at the double-boosting strategy thanks to its STAB providing good coverage:
-Swords Dance
-Rock Polish
-Close Combat/Sacred Sword
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Sunny Day + SolarBeam takes too much time to set up on Chandelure. I'd rather have this, though I see your reasoning for the Ghost Gem:
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Shadow Ball
-Energy Ball (yes, it gets this)
-Hidden Power (Ground/Fighting)
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Specs/Scarf

Salamence might be better off with this; it's walled by Bronzong with its current set:
-Dragon Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake/Brick Break
-Fire Blast
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Atk/28 SAtk/232 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
Ability: Intimidate

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
@PlatinumDude

1. Cobalion's main selling point is his defense, meaning that he can take quite a few hits from pokemon like Scizor, Ferrothorn, Srafty, and even Haxorus. Though Terrakion is better in some points compared to Cobalion, I feel more comfortable with Cobalion.

2. To be honest, the Solarbeam Sunny day combo was a bit of a filler. A better moveset would be of course...better, but I already have a choice pokemon. Having 2 Choice pokemon would be dangerous, even. The set you suggested was fine, but the item has to be changed. I'll take it into concideration.

3. I'll take the set into concideration. Thanks.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
Years
I have the same wall with my vaporeon. It's a beast especially with the moveset you chose for it, I have switched Surf for Scald though. As you stated you don't like it, but have you tried it on that? I think the burn effect is even better for it. Oh and also why Chansey instead of Blissey?

darkfighter

That random guy
Years
@TheGR8

Chansey is overall better than Blissey in terms of special walling. Although Blissey gets some Special Attacks, not to mention LEFTOVERS, Chansey is just flat out better.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Mar 26, 2024
Metagross is a bad scarfer it doesn't really stop anything due to its rather low spees. Garchomp is probably the best Scarfer in the game so id use that.

Chansey wants Stealth Rock over Protect since you lack it currently and Protect is rather useless when there are better options and because you arent using Wish with it.

Chandelures set needs changing.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 6 Def
Modest (with Flame Charge) / Timid Nature
Trait : Flash Fire
- Flame Charge / Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Stat up late game and sweep.

Vaporeon wants Scald > Surf to be a threat and threaten physical sweepers.

firebolt12

pokemon Master
Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2012
I agree with many.

Chandelure will get killed with set up, and don't you think +252 EV Jellicent can take one Solarbeam? Yes, they indeed can. Gyrados, milotic ( maybe), and other double type waters can easily knock out chandelure.

Who ever asked why he chose chansey over blissey: Chansey can be better than blissey when it has the item evolite, which he attatched. Evolite raises df and Sdf by 50% Speaking of chansey.... replace useless protect with something like stealth rock, or even substitute: Soft boiled reheal.

Salamence needs Dragon Dance or else

Vaporeon needs scald. Since you are using this as a bluky water, you need moves that fit the pokemon. No, you didn't EV it to be Sweep Vaporeon, so surf isn't going to have a big of a benefit as scald.
Compare:
Scald 80power BURNS! lowers foe's attack and hurts! This is what a wall is supposed to do!Mess the other team up and take hits! Right?
Otherwise, nice job!

Back