• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About Futurama

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I noticed this was the only forum that seemed to give me free will to post my own discussions, miscellaneous nonsense and etc, so I decided to ask one question.

Are there any fans of Futurama or Matt Groening for that matter? If so, I'd like to know why.

Now please don't mistake this for a hate thread, because I'm not going to hate on anyone that disagrees, but I don't find anything funny about Matt Groening's work. It seems he just combines immature humor with not-so-trendy topics and then layers it with outdated inside jokes. On top of that, it just feels like he tries too hard. If there's anyone that would like to tell me differently or at least give me their opinion of his work, I'd be delighted to hear it. This would make for an interesting discussion, I feel. :)

Honest

Hi!
Years
I noticed this was the only forum that seemed to give me free will to post my own discussions, miscellaneous nonsense and etc, so I decided to ask one question.

Wellllll, that's not necessarily true! Sections in PC are divided by certain aspects. This section, while is indeed, for more light-hearted conversation, Futurama does have a home right here in General Entertainment. I'll re-direct this thread there.

For the record, never watched the show. Oops.

-moved.

Years
I find it the same as I find most other similar shows. They have become so overplayed on TV that I find it hard to enjoy the repetition. Love the show the first time I watch an episode though!

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I like Futurama, but it's no Simpsons, that's all I'll say.

That's because it's way better than The Simpsons! ;D

Futurama does a great job at poking fun at current events and random stupid problems in the world. I'm really happy that they have uncancelled it (again), although I haven't seen any of the new episodes yet.

Example:

Spoiler:

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
I used to love Futurama, but the newer episodes are kind of boring. They just don't have the same charm that the older ones do.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I've watched the Simpsons for many many years and there never was any good change (it seems this show gets worse with every season). Futurama on the other hand I don't see very often, so it doesn't get boring easily. If I had to choose between the both series I'd take Futurama, since I don't want to see this yellow faces anymore (also it's funnier).

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I feel that Futurama is funnier than The Simpsons at any rate. They can do more with the futuristic setting than modern America, and the jokes are usually funnier. Having shows constantly rerun does run the enjoyment a bit, but Futurama is at least moderately entertaining and watchable. What are your opinions on other popular cartoons OP, i.e those of Seth McFarlane?

As for other cartoon shows, I feel like American Dad and South Park are the only funny ones now. I'm on neutral ground with Family Guy, and dislike all of Matt Groening's cartoons.

As for South Park/American Dad, I just feel as if their style of humor is more topical and relatable with today's society since they seem to mimic a lot of hilarious and retarded things in the world, combine it with fiction (American Dad) and then layer that with stupid celebrities and other miscellaneous topics that are too easy to make fun of. (South Park)

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I love Futurama, or rather the earlier seasons of Futurama. The new seasons are great, but they don't retain the little quirks or charm the older seasons. For example, you will actually hear a lot of the characters in the earlier seasons say "axe" instead of "ask", but I don't think this carried on to the new seasons iirc.

Compared to other shows, Futurama just stands out because it isn't a cartoon about the lives of a family in modern America, but rather a bunch of aliens and humans in the future and that is a more appealing setting to me.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
That's because it's way better than The Simpsons! ;D

Kind of how I feel, and if we're going to say 'some of the newer episodes are more boring' that's going to come about with every show like it, such as Family Guy, American Guy, and, like mentioned, The Simpsons. Compared to everything else, I feel like Family Guy is the best but it's losing out on its old superior satirical rampages. The same has happened with Futurama; it's just run out of things to make fun of.

Back