• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Fake Out: "An attack that hits first and makes the target flinch. It only works the first turn the user is in battle."

That says it, I think.

Cyclone

Years
  • Seen Feb 2, 2013
Hi, I'm new the the pokemon wifi battles and I just have a few questions.
-Is it more beneficial to train your pokemon to lvl 100 instead of using rare candies? I've heard training makes the pokemon stronger, but I'd like some confirmation on this. If that is true, would it be better to train the pokemon from Lvl 1 instead of the catched lvl? Another question is: How long does it take to reach lvl 100 and what's the fastest way to train to that level?
Thanks for any feedback!

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
Hi, I'm new the the pokemon wifi battles and I just have a few questions.
-Is it more beneficial to train your pokemon to lvl 100 instead of using rare candies? I've heard training makes the pokemon stronger, but I'd like some confirmation on this. If that is true, would it be better to train the pokemon from Lvl 1 instead of the catched lvl? Another question is: How long does it take to reach lvl 100 and what's the fastest way to train to that level?
Thanks for any feedback!

Okay, well what makes Pokémon the strongest are it's IVs and EVs. You can't change IVs and you try and get them good through lots of breeding or RNGing. EV training is important for competitive battling. It doesn't matter what level you catch the Pokémon on if you give them the same EVs by the time they reach Lv100. EVs also max out at a total of 510. So if you had a Pokémon with a total of 510 EVs, you could train it to Lv100 with Rare Candies and it wouldn't be any different than one trained through battles. There are many Ev training guides online as well. A great place to get levels up quick is Black Tower/White Treehollow.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
^I'm sorry, but can you explain and IV's and EV's are? I don't understand.
IVs - that is, Individual Values - are numbers between 0-31 that determine a Pokémon's HP, Speed, Attack, Defense, Sp. Attack, and Sp. Defense. As an example of how they work, using Attack as a basis, take two otherwise identical Axew and assign one an IV of 10 and the other an IV of 15 (we will assume they are the same nature for simplicity). The Axew with the IV of 15 is going to be a stronger Axew over time compared to the other Axew. When both fully evolve to Haxorus and are eventually at Lv.100, the IV of 15 will have a stronger Attack stat than the one with an IV of 10.

EVs - that is, Effort Values - also attribute to a Pokémon's stats. However, these are something you have full control over. Let's take the same two Axew from above and assume they were trained differently. Battling a Pokémon will net all participants EVs; you can take an Axew and a Swoobat and have both participate in a battle with a Cubchoo and they will both gain EVs from the battle (Cubchoo nets one EV per participant). Pokémon with an Exp. Share will also gain EVs without battling. Now, let's forget about Swoobat. Let's take the two Axew from before and max out their stats. It is possible for the Axew with an IV of 10 (above) to train more on Attack EVs and thus become on par with, perhaps stronger than, the Axew with an IV of 15.

It should be noted that you cannot see IVs or EVs in-game. However, you ARE able to use an Action Replay code, plug your game in with the code activated, and use the status screen in conjunction with L+R to see exactly what your Pokémon's IVs are (they might look something like 15/10/9/14/18/17 when you write them side by side, read from top to bottom on-screen) as well as your Pokémon's EVs (which always start at 0 and go up based on battling experience - NOT based on experience points or Pokémon levels, and it should be noted a Pokémon can be Lv.100 without max. EVs).

One more note. There are EV reducing berries. If you want to improve a Pokémon's EVs in one stat. but have maxed out your total EVs, feed it one of those six berries depending on what you want to reduce. It will lower the stat. by 10 EVs (or to 0 if already below 10), freeing up those EVs for you to train the Pokémon on opponents that will improve that EV upon defeat. The berry picker on Route 5 (B2/W2 only) will sell you berries five at a time every day, of different types. Join Avenue also expands its collection over time and it might be handy to have two berry shops as the selection will differ.

For a list of Pokémon to battle to gain certain EVs, see here.

Cyclone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I think it's the former, the nature is pre-determined.

Confirming. Once a roaming Pokémon is released out in the open, its nature and IVs (and shininess) are set. If you want to reset for a specific nature/IVs, you have to save the game at the point right before the roamer is released. If the nature/IVs are wrong, reset and try again.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
Actually, only the IVs are set permanently when you first encounter Thundurus/Tornadus. Nature and shininess can be reset upon defeating the Elite 4.

I have not personally RNG'd these 2, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works. So to answer the question, to get your desired nature just beat the E4 and then SR for it. Synchronizers don't work on them.

Anyways, roamers don't exist in BW2.

Thorsphen

Electric
Years
  • UK
  • Seen Feb 3, 2013
What do I do now?

I have recently got back into Pokemon, I bought Black 2 about a week ago and I have completed it and got all of the rare Pokemon etc, all I have to get is Regiice and Regigigas, I feel it went by too quick as I have less than one day play time...

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
You need to play White 2 when you catch Regirock in there, then you receive a key. And that's where 2 DS/3DS are needed. You could transfer the Regi keys to each other via Unova Link. Then you could catch Regice in Black 2, and then you could catch Regigigas when you catch three of the Regis and brought them to it.

Years
Hi!

A friend of mine just bought White 2 and downloaded a keldeo through Nintendo wfc since they are distributing it here in Italy. But she decided that she doesn't like her starter pokemon and she'd like to start over the game in order to get another one, but we've got a doubt: if she starts over could she get again Keldeo?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
When everybody reset their games, the save data, including downloaded event is deleted (but I don't tested it yet, so no clue for me). But, as long as the distribution of Keldeo is still in, Keldeo could still be downloaded when you restart the game.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
When everybody reset their games, the save data, including downloaded event is deleted (but I don't tested it yet, so no clue for me). But, as long as the distribution of Keldeo is still in, Keldeo could still be downloaded when you restart the game.
NOTE: Keldeo's event ends today. Be wary of that.

If anything, trade it to another game before restarting, then reclaim it later when trading is open. If the event is still going on, you can even get a second!

Cyclone

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I had a question concerning a thunder stone. Where can I get one?

On the field, they can be found in Nimbasa City (hidden) and Chargestone Cave. They can also be found via dust clouds in Chargestone Cave, Mistralton Cave, Victory Road, Wellspring Cave, Clay Tunnel and Twist Mountain. They can also be bought in the PWT and Battle Subway.

Last edited:
Years
Hi All,

I am looking for a walkthrough for Pokémon Black 2.
These are available, but they aren't printable.

So is there a printable guide that is approx. 10-20 pages?
I hope that someone can help me ;)

Greetings, Rik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back