• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is collectible

Years
  • Age 61
  • Seen May 16, 2018
I have reached a deal with my two kids, aged 7 and 10, that every year on their birthday I will get them a set of rare and relatively expensive Pokemon cards - till they reach the age of 18. The idea is that on each birthday after their 18th they will have a little piggy bank to crack open - if they so wish. They are full of ideas regarding what kinds of cards I should get for them. However, I know little about Pokemon myself so I thought I should ask here first - what kinds of cards would make a good potential investment? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
You could try 'Ancient Mew'.

It was released for the second Pokémon movie and goes for roughly $15-$20 each.
It should gain value as time goes on due to the limited amount and the collectability of the card.

I would ask a few people before buying though.

latest

Last edited:

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
This is what the card actually says.

- MEW HP 30
PSYCHE 40
WEAKNESS: Psychic x 2
RESISTANCE: none
RETREAT COST: Colorless x 2

NEW SPECIES
LITTLE GOD... OR EVIL

Years
I have reached a deal with my two kids, aged 7 and 10, that every year on their birthday I will get them a set of rare and relatively expensive Pokemon cards - till they reach the age of 18. The idea is that on each birthday after their 18th they will have a little piggy bank to crack open - if they so wish. They are full of ideas regarding what kinds of cards I should get for them. However, I know little about Pokemon myself so I thought I should ask here first - what kinds of cards would make a good potential investment? I would be most grateful for any suggestions.

As far as investments go, there's not really a good set to invest in that doesn't have high costs already. Any complete sets are going to be a pain to obtain as well, even for the cheaper ones like the XY Base Set.

Also worth noting that complete sets in Pokemon generally require buying north of 100 cards that don't really hold much in value.

You could try 'Ancient Mew'.

It was released for the second Pokémon movie and goes for roughly $15-$20 each.
It should gain value as time goes on due to the limited amount and the collectability of the card.

I would ask a few people before buying though.

latest

So, unfortunately, that Ancient Mew is probably not a good investment. Before the spike partially caused by the double-whammy of Pokemon Go and the 20th Anniversary stuff, that card was sitting at maybe $2 in value, because there are so many in circulation, and most of its value is people thinking it's rarer than it is. I think that card might actually stagnate or even sink in value as most of the people who want one for nostalgia value will now have one.

Aduitt

Confused
Years
  • Seen Sep 10, 2018
As far as investments go, there's not really a good set to invest in that doesn't have high costs already. Any complete sets are going to be a pain to obtain as well, even for the cheaper ones like the XY Base Set.

Also worth noting that complete sets in Pokemon generally require buying north of 100 cards that don't really hold much in value.

So, unfortunately, that Ancient Mew is probably not a good investment. Before the spike partially caused by the double-whammy of Pokemon Go and the 20th Anniversary stuff, that card was sitting at maybe $2 in value, because there are so many in circulation, and most of its value is people thinking it's rarer than it is. I think that card might actually stagnate or even sink in value as most of the people who want one for nostalgia value will now have one.

Fair Enough.

Even so, it's still a cool card to have.

But I do have to agree. Most cards that are expensive are expensive from the get-go. When cards are released, Pokémon pretty much tells you "THIS IS RARE/GOOD"

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 61
  • Seen May 16, 2018
Thank you for the replies. From what I have gathered then it seems like by and large these cards do not make a good investment and we are more likely to land a fake than something with potential future value?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 29, 2018
I have 2 of these ancient mews in my collection I just dug out will post a forum of my collection still missing like 10 cards for all the older sets :( base set jungle set fossil set and team rocket!

Years
Where do you sell your card collection? What's the best method for clearing your collection?

I have a big stock of them, from the child-hood but never found many sources in my area that'd by them. The old Ebay method of posting them for the highest bidder often has been frowned upon and scammy and on other seller sites you might end up with Yugioh card in the mail.

Can you provide any ideas for selling? The "value" of a card varies so much though as seen below.
http://pokemonprices.com/
https://shop.tcgplayer.com/price-guide/pokemon/base-set

Last edited:
Back