• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Riolu

How's the comic?

• Awesome!

Votes: 23 69.7%
  • Good.

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Bad. :(

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
I'd just like to THANK GAWD that there is at least one consistent sprite comic up on Pokecommunity these days. I've been disappointed these last couple years coming here and finding that no one was even bothering to make them as often, especially considering when I came here back in 2005 there was flood of 'em. It was genuinely refreshing to see.

On the matter of sprites and set-up, obviously the pokemon are from Mystery Dungeon- but I'm especially curious as to where you're finding all your environments. They're all quite lovely and well-placed. And back when I did comics I was a big fan of having the text under the panel too, but you may want to try your hand at speech bubbles. I found myself sometimes forgetting to look at the image above after reading the dialogue. Also, just as a thought: Don't forget that you don't have to stick with just one size of image panel. You can create much more economically spaced and dynamic imagery by having, say, boxes that are half the size of the one you have now, splitting boxes to contain two images, etc. Look at real comic books or the comic PokeChow for reference to what I'm referring to.

As far as story goes, it's fairly fanfiction-y and rudimentary. I'd love to see you experiment with more interesting plot points or characters, since I feel like most of your characters are interchangeable. Give them more substance and reason- they're doing everything because something is driving them. Whether it be something from their past, an ideal, etc. Why are Rilou and Absol, two commoner pokemon, going out of their way to stop the ruler of the Dark World, who is obviously much more powerful than them and not above attacking their innocent families back home? What rationale would they have for them to be willing to purposely mess with Darkrai by hording key items necessary for the completion of his plan, travel to a city entirely under water (where they can't bloody breathe), and risk their hides against horrible world-destroying behemoths?
Strong convictions and traits create strong characters that we can recognize and sympathize with. For instance, say that Absol was suddenly struck by a meteorite. I would say "oh, well, that sucks" and move on. It would have no effect on me, personally. Find a way for the character to be interesting- so that if a meteorite did come by, I'd be in shambles.

I'd also like to know about how you're handling the plot of these comics. I know when I did these, I would sit down and just start making them without any prior direction on where the plot was going. I was making it up as I went along. Are you doing the same? Because thinking about plot beforehand is usually better, since you have more direction.

One final note of criticism: Grammar! You may want to put your dialogue into Microsoft Word and spell check before you put it in your comic. Also be aware of using the right kind of "there," (There = place, their = possession, they're = "they are") and things of that nature.

Overall though? This comic has the right spirit. I found myself genuinely laughing at Darkrai's "WHAAAAAATTTTT?!"s, most prominently in the first panel of Comic 16. Spot-on timing there. Hopefully you'll consider what I've said and keep making these comics. I'd love to see more from you, and I hope you inspire others to start filling this place with more sprite comics.

Hey, thanks for the comment that was more like a review!

In my opinion, I don't really like speech bubbles. When I try to make them they take too much room and you can see what's going on in the background.

I like to make my boxes the same size cause it's easier to get backgrounds in. I put the box over the background and copy the box sized background onto each box of the template. But maybe in some issues I would have a bigger panel at the end or beginning.

The things you said about my plot made me think more about it. About why Riolu and Absol are fighting. Well Absol is fighting for Jynx, but as for Riolu. Riolu is just fighting along side Absol for Jynx and for being lock up. For now. I do need to work on why.

And you're right. I need to make the characters somehow connect to the reader.

And yes, I am making it up as I go a little. I usually plan ahead like 2-3 issues later rather than all the way to the end. After I make an issue I read over it to make sure it's okay. But I do sometimes miss some mistakes.

Just remember, It'll all (hopefully) make sense at the end of the season. That's right, I'm planning on making seasons.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Issue 21!
Spoiler:

I love how they changed the pixel art forum
into one! Now it's easier for more people see my comic!

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Hey everyone! Here's Issue 22!
Spoiler:

It seems that Chri
stmas is almost here! ;) Also, where are all the comments going??~_~

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Aug 15, 2014
I really like the style of the comic, and the characters as well; It's been a while since I've seen a good, active sprite comic. Keep it up, I can't wait to see more! ^-^

Pinta77

The last panel where darkrai shows up is awesome!

Fan me

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Ahahahah omg the diving helmets on the sprites were adorable. Glad I remembered to come back and re-visit this series, it's gotten even better than before! AND GOLDEEN IS BACK OMG YAAAY. I missed Goldeen, was curious if you'd give her a reappearance at any point and I'm glad you decided to! It's been an epic couple of episodes and I'm interested how you'll top them. Would be great to see a bit more explanation of why the heroes started the initial journey though; the plot is great but it's hard to understand where it all started from. This is my favourite sprite comic that I've read so far so great work dude. :)

As a side note, I really like your choice of characters for the background roles. Croconaw was a great 'sailor' Pokémon to use (if that was the intention of his background role?) and Poliwrath was a good choice for the voice/role that you gave him. Would love to see Poliwrath perhaps join the hero party until they manage to repay his debt for the submarine? It's one of my favourite Pokémon and I'm sure they'd be able to have an interesting relationship dynamic going on haha.

Dragon_Trainer_

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Years
Fan Me!!! I simply love the comic! It's so well drawn! The plot is a good mixture of comedy, adventure and seriousness........... Totally Awesome!!

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Fan me toooo :) i love this plot line! Its so interesting and the way you use backgrounds from different games is awesome. Its fun figuring what they are from.

Its great when i click the wrong link sometimes :p

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Actually right now pikadude1228! 1 more fan until another goal is reached!
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Poor Goldeen getting the blame! I really hope this isn't the end of Poliwrath, he seems like a great character and I'd love for him to join the main group for a while or something haha. Maybe he could go with them until they manage to repay the debt? I'm excited for the next issue, really looking forward to seeing how they'll get themselves out of this huge mess they're in.

Also really nice touch on the eyes of the sprites you used in the first couple panel's - was that added in by you or did they come like that? Either way I really liked it haha.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Uh oh... Spriters-Resource is gonna be down for a few days.. But I need a new background for the next issue.. If anyone know any other sprite resource site please tell me. We need new issues!

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
To remedy your problem, you can probably Google what you need through images. SPR said that the files for the picture weren't deleted, just the data, so if you Google "pokemon mystery dungeon backgrounds spriters-resource" or something like that, you can probably get the backgrounds via that method. You can also do this for Pokemon sprites if you need them.

Also, sign me up as a fan. Although I'm usually a stickler for plots, I just love the design and dedication to this comic. Although seemingly underdeveloped, I really like some of the personalities of the characters. Good luck in the future.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Alright! Here's two more issues!
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

TheShiningStarlette

The Pikachu Master
Years
  • Age 25
  • USA
  • Seen May 24, 2014
Great comic :D

But here's a suggestion, make the characters and the pictures a bit bigger? All the other things are fine. :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
The comic series is pretty great, considering you're using sprites and stuff. The story is also quite compelling and moving. I'll be looking to see what happens next to see what happens to riolu and absol! sign me up as a fan too.

wonder what darkai is planning next.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Hey guys sorry there hasn't been any new issues. I've been addicted to my Wii U with Monster Hunter 3 and Nintendo Land and I for got all about this.
But don't worry! I'm working on Issue 28 right now. Although it may not be up tonight cause, ya know, can't stay up late on a school night.
Also, it looks like the goals are rising. Already got 15+ fans with only 27 Issues!
That's way better than my other comic I gave up on after 40 issues on another site. Don't worry though, I'll not to forget this one cause the plot is way better!
Well until next time,

See ya!

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
Alright Issue 28 is finally here!
Spoiler:

I'm think of may
be adding 4 more panels to Issues now. So that they'll be longer!

Back