• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think the next games will be named after?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recruit173

Kung Fu Random!
Years
It seems like an interesting topic because as any BW fan knows, Black and White were attempts at a new, fresh start in the franchise, and many things in BW parallel the first generation, such as Mewtwo and Genesect being illegal experiments with the objective of creating the perfect life form.

I've also noticed that the names of each game is not without motives. Red, blue, green, and yellow were named for obvious reasons. Gold and silver represent the sun (Ho-oh) and the stormy sky (Lugia). Ruby and sapphire were named because each gem grows under certain weather conditions. Diamond was named because it requires a lot of time for any to form (hence the time theme) and pearl was named because pearls in the real world are hard to find (hence the space theme). Black and white were named because of their yin/yang theme, which brings us back to how they strongly parallel generation 1.

Assuming future games will still be named accordingly, what can we expect from them?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
First, wrong section. I shall move to Gaming central to let them deal with if they think they should close or not.

Second, What is the significance of Red and Green? Since Red and Green were the first two games released and Blue is the original third for Generation 1. I don't see how they relate to each other at all.

As for the rest, that makes no sense at all. Lugia is always underwater, Ho-oh's representation is the Rainbow, not the sun. I've never heard of Rubies and Sapphires being found under special conditions of weather before. The Diamond one seemed plausable though you can make fake diamonds if you have the right tools so its not even time related as the two main factors of diamond creating are heat and pressure. Pearls take a lot of time to make as well, so I don't get why they correspond to space. If I remember right, a Pearl takes hundreds of years to fully form in oysters.

Black and white are the only games where the color matches a theme. They were done on purpose to fit the theme. None of the others really match any set theme.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
Years
I hope a remake of Ruby and Sapphire are going to be next. Like for example Raging Ruby and Soothing Sapphire.

Or maybe they're going to get mixed colors now? Since Black and White 2 was the mix of the two mascot Pokemon with Kyurem.

Recruit173

Kung Fu Random!
Years
Someone told me that generations 6 and 7 will be named after flowers (e.g. rose/violet versions). I don't exactly believe it, but it was interesting enough that it inspired me to make this thread.

I know for certain that since BW broke the gemstone pattern (along with the "fresh start" Gamefreak intended), it wouldn't make any sense to continue where it left off, so it seems safe to assume that the next 2 or 3 generations will be something different.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Someone told me that generations 6 and 7 will be named after flowers (e.g. rose/violet versions). I don't exactly believe it, but it was interesting enough that it inspired me to make this thread.

I know for certain that since BW broke the gemstone pattern (along with the "fresh start" Gamefreak intended), it wouldn't make any sense to continue where it left off, so it seems safe to assume that the next 2 or 3 generations will be something different.

B/W didn't break any pattern other than 2 Main 1 Third. Gen 1 was colors, Gen 2 was 2 metals and 1 gem, gen 3 were 3 gems, Gen 4 were precious minerals as Pearl isn't a gemstone, its grown in a living object and Platinum is a metal. We only had Gem stones for 5 of the 17 main titles thus far.

As for Rose/Violet those are actually colors. Violet is the universal name for Purple and Rose is a name for Pink. I wanna say that Rose is the universal for Pink but that I'm not to sure of. I know all my art teachers said Violet and brutally corrected you everytime you said purple and only one did not acknowledge Pink as a correct color name.

Years
B/W didn't break any pattern other than 2 Main 1 Third. Gen 1 was colors, Gen 2 was 2 metals and 1 gem, gen 3 were 3 gems, Gen 4 were precious minerals as Pearl isn't a gemstone, its grown in a living object and Platinum is a metal. We only had Gem stones for 5 of the 17 main titles thus far.

As for Rose/Violet those are actually colors. Violet is the universal name for Purple and Rose is a name for Pink. I wanna say that Rose is the universal for Pink but that I'm not to sure of. I know all my art teachers said Violet and brutally corrected you everytime you said purple and only one did not acknowledge Pink as a correct color name.

Pink isn't a color. Scientists aren't even sure it exists.

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/03/07/does-the-color-pink-exist-scientists-arent-sure/

pikakitten

You met with a terrible fate
Years
The next games will hopefully be Ruby and Sapphire remakes/an Emerald remake
and if they do what they did with HG/SS it'll be the same but with a cool word that matches at the beginning. xD

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
Well Black and White can be considered hues of Grey or something like that...so Pink is possible.

I'm hoping they're Amethyst and Garnet for gen VI. Maybe Topaz as the third (or maybe Peridot instead of Amethyst as a call back to gen I with Red- Garnet, Green- Peridot, Yellow- Topaz).

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Well Black and White can be considered hues of Grey or something like that...so Pink is possible.

I'm hoping they're Amethyst and Garnet for gen VI. Maybe Topaz as the third (or maybe Peridot instead of Amethyst as a call back to gen I with Red- Garnet, Green- Peridot, Yellow- Topaz).

Black and white aren't considered colors at all. They are called Tints and Shades. I think I mix up what they are with the light spectrum as Color and Light are always backwards. White = Absence of color which is why White displays colors so easily, Black is a mashup of all colors in one which is why it absorbs colors and is hard to see them. Grey is the middle of the two so like them Grey also isn't a color. Grey is a Tint of Black and a Shade of White. All three are also called Neutrals from what I remember....So Black and White didn't use "Colored" names this time by a small technicality.

Honestly I wouldn't mine Violet and Rose, though both seem girly XD

Schwan

Frontier Brain
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 2, 2016
I definitely think that gems would be prioritized. That flower idea actually seems cool though.

Years
I actually think that the idea of games named Rose and Violet could be a good idea, but I don't know how well it would sell to younger boys that play the games (I probably wouldn't have wanted to play a game named after a flower when I was 7 or 8).

Maybe if they go back to using gemstones, they could go with Pokemon Amber/Amethyst and Zircon (going from A to Z).

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Looks like they're named Pokemon X and Y! Closing this now as there is a whole new forum dedicated to the new games. Have fun in there, guys! :)

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back