• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Master Ball discussion

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
So, does anyone even use a Master Ball in Gen 5?

In my games, I have 2. I don't even bother using them. Why?

When I get to my legendaries (Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Terrakion, Verizion, Cobaldion), I use quick balls. For some reason, I catch these Pokemon like 60% of the time. It didn't work? Just reload the game, and chances are: I caught it. Not to mention that since I have both games, I can transfer the data from one game to another and have it so that repeat balls also become a good spammable ball against legendaries.

I don't care too much for shiny Pokemon. Most of the time, Shiny Pokemon have horrid IV stats, and don't have the correct nature. Chances are that the Shiny Pokemon will be a species that I don't even want to use;-;. And considering that many players just RNG a shiny Pokemon, they don't even feel special anymore.

So tell me forum, do you still use Master Balls?

If you do, why?

If you don't, why not?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
I don't use Masterballs anymore, in any generation. I really never feel the need to. The only logical times I can think of using it is for a runner, which I rarely chase down, or a shiny that can Roar/Explode, which is so rare I feel bad for you if it happens.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I saved the Master Balls I got from Colress and Prof. Juniper for emergencies/laziness. In Black 2, I used them on Azelf and Mesprit. In Black/White, I used them on Tornadus/Thundurus.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I have only used my Master Ball only once (I own 6 copies of my 5th gen games, 1 black, 1 white, 2 black 2,and 2 white 2).

I used it in one of my Black 2 games to catch a shiny Mienfoo. My team was just too strong for poor Mienfoo so I feared that if I hit it would faint.

I have 3 more Master Balls I have not used (in 2 of my games I only recently started) so far no plans to use them.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I always have a mind set to use them, but then just never do. I guess I really just forget about them, mainly. xD
The only time I really ever use them is with Tornadus or Thundurus, or even one of the 3 Musketeers because those are HARD to catch. ;A;

Alloute

Cat Burglar
Years
Generation 5 is the first gen where I didn't use my Master Balls. I caught all the Legendary Pokemon with Ultra Balls, Dusk Balls and Timer Balls. My Master Balls are just collecting dust right now.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I only use Masterball for roaming Pokemon,
because they always flee from the battle even when asleep.
Plus I'm not the kind of trainer that is fully prepared for encountering any roaming Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The only Pokémon I would use it on are the roamers but I prefer to catch them normally since it's a bit more challenging and fun that way. I think I actually ended up using it on Kyurem just because I was bored of fighting the ugly brute and wanted the battle to be over, but in general I much prefer to keep it held back and to use regular methods for catching things. It's not the hardest game in the world so adding in extra little challenges like that can make it a bit more entertaining.

Years
I never really use Master balls. They're just too precious to use, so by the time I catch the most important Pokemon I just have a masterball lying there.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Most of the time, I use Master Ball only to catch legendaries that you randomly run into in the wild. If I ever use it on a Pokémon that you'd normally be able to catch with an Ultra Ball, then I always end up with the feeling of regret. The last time I've used a Master Ball was to catch Cresselia in Pokémon Platinum. In Pokémon Black, I wanted to use it on Tornadus, but I was never able to find that Pokémon. xD

Cassandra

Transgender Queen
Years
I've vowed never to use master balls again. After catching Lugia with a simple pokeball, master balls seem worthless. Unless there is a pokemon that I want and just don't feel like weakening and catching, I'll chuck a master ball at it. But otherwise, the dang things are worthless.

Years
  • Seen Sep 12, 2016
I've vowed never to use master balls again. After catching Lugia with a simple pokeball, master balls seem worthless. Unless there is a pokemon that I want and just don't feel like weakening and catching, I'll chuck a master ball at it. But otherwise, the dang things are worthless.

I had an old classmate who used simple red/white Pokeballs to catch legendaries,
when asked why not use Ultra or other Pokeballs...
His response was... The better Pokeballs are expensive, {D:}
and he lost his Masterball...{D:}

Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2016
I see that most people don't use their master balls. Now I have a new question for the forum to discuss.

Since the creation of Quick Balls, Dusk Balls, and other balls that make Pokemon easy to catch, do you appreciate this change, or absolutely hate it?

Personally, I appreciate it. When there were only a few legendary Pokemon, using your skill and wits was a fun way to prove yourself in the world of Pokemon. But our modern day games have so many legendary Pokemon, cutting them all down to red, putting them to sleep, and chucking Ultra balls became busy-work. Nice to know that I don't have to do it anymore.

Years
I keep them for roaming legends aka Tornadus and Thundurus. That's all I've ever really been using Master Balls so far.. non-roamers I can catch with enough patience but roamers just take way too long and hng.

Years
I've been doing it for a few gens now, but I always save my Master Balls for random shiny Pokemon that might appear, just so I know I can catch it right away. White was the first time this actually proved useful though, as I caught a shiny Ducklett on the Driftveil Drawbridge. Looking back, I probably could've attempted to catch it with something else, but at least I didn't have to go through any hassle and got it right away.

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
I use regular pokeballs, koff~

If 100 of 'em isn't enough, I spring for greatballs (goodness gracious). I used a masterball on Zekrom, and by accident I might add. I think I could have done it using the standard pokeball, given enough time, koffi~

Back