• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Hive ~Bug Types Fan Club!~

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years

@Curious. Good point, I guess Bug/Water would be rather irrelevant for Masquerain... but I just find it strange that they'd have a pond skater evolve into a... moth. Surskit had so much potential to be an early bug that was really unique and different from the rest, and they kinda ruined it in my opinion, Which is a shame because surskit is really cool in my opinion.

Mm yeah, I agree. It would have been lovely to see a new, unique pokemon rather than the cliche moth. But now if one thinks about it, Masquerain could essentialy maintain the combo of it's pre-evolution -- Masque - rain (With rain obviously being water.)

And I do think there could be a few more ideas for bug/water type combinations; like a Mosquito for example. They live and are born in water, so I'm sure Gamefreak could certainly work on this idea.

Edit: A reward system does sound really good, and it's proven especially useful in giving clubs that little extra something, over just discussion. Although like Olli did mention, it'd need activity for it to be used to the best of it's abilities, so that could be a potential problem. Nevertheless it's a great idea.

NixChill

Who Ya Callin' Pinhead?
Years
name:nick
partner pokemon:ninjask,yanmmega,pineco
reason:bug types are my favorite type! next to fire and steel
topic:why can most bug types fly but can't learn fly? maybe because bug types are delicate and are fragile

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
Welcome to the club NixChill! Hope you'll have fun and stick around :)

Edit: A reward system does sound really good, and it's proven especially useful in giving clubs that little extra something, over just discussion. Although like Olli did mention, it'd need activity for it to be used to the best of it's abilities, so that could be a potential problem. Nevertheless it's a great idea.
I don't think activity will be a problem in this club actually, though getting members to join is what will be hard. People don't really use userbars anymore, so clubs get a lot less advertisement, as well as with Bug types not being the most loved typings of them all xD But yeah, if current members do stick by and add to discussion, I think the chance of more members will be slightly greater, as well as with the chance of that system being implemented being much bigger :D

Years
Welcome NixChill! You will be added soon, but it's a little late and I'm tired haha.

@Olli97 My plan was to implement rewards when I felt there was a sturdy group of active members. It probably won't happen super soon since everyone (including me) is new, but hopefully in the near future. As for events, those would happen after I got the rewards system in place and felt like the club needed a bit of a change of pace (something to spice it up, to be looked forward too or whatever) So far it seems people are joining pretty regularly which is awesome!

Hm. I feel like things are a little off topic... how bout a new one?
A little similar to one of the starter topics, what is your favorite concept of a bug pokemon, and why? Mine for instance is paras/parasect being based on parasitic fungi. One kind, for instance, controls an ant's brain while draining the bug of energy, controlling the ant's movements. When the host is sucked dry, the mushroom leaves spores on the bug's eggs. As creepy as that is, I find it really cool, especially how they executed it. (like how parasect's eyes are white with no pupils) It kinda makes me wonder what parasect would actually have been like as a species if said fungi never inhabited the host. Another concept I really like is Heracross. The fighting type is very cool :D

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Welcome NixChill! You will be added soon, but it's a little late and I'm tired haha.

@Olli97 My plan was to implement rewards when I felt there was a sturdy group of active members. It probably won't happen super soon since everyone (including me) is new, but hopefully in the near future. As for events, those would happen after I got the rewards system in place and felt like the club needed a bit of a change of pace (something to spice it up, to be looked forward too or whatever) So far it seems people are joining pretty regularly which is awesome!

Hm. I feel like things are a little off topic... how bout a new one?
A little similar to one of the starter topics, what is your favorite concept of a bug pokemon, and why? Mine for instance is paras/parasect being based on parasitic fungi. One kind, for instance, controls an ant's brain while draining the bug of energy, controlling the ant's movements. When the host is sucked dry, the mushroom leaves spores on the bug's eggs. As creepy as that is, I find it really cool, especially how they executed it. (like how parasect's eyes are white with no pupils) It kinda makes me wonder what parasect would actually have been like as a species if said fungi never inhabited the host. Another concept I really like is Heracross. The fighting type is very cool :D

I like to concept of Heracross as well. I love how those beetles' irl are interpreted into Pokemon -- known to be strong and tough irl, we see that Heracross in Pokemon is also pretty hardy and a fighting type to match the bill. I also particularly like Ariados and Spinarak, simple and sweet.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
What is your favorite concept of a bug pokemon, and why?

Well, I think of all the interesting Bug Type concepts, Pineco and Forretrss are my favorites. This is mostly because, for the longest time, I didn't know what they were. I was intrigued as to why a pinecone evolved into a shell with cannons (cannons still don't make a lot of sense, but this is Pokemon.).

But when I found out they were based on bagworms, I thought it was a really cool concept, that they were using the pinecone and shell respectively as armour.

I also like Shuckle and (as much as I hate to admit this) the way Nincada evolves into Ninjask and Shedinja. I just have a serious vendetta against cicadas. They give me nightmares. xD

I also like a lot of the Gen V Bug Types, actually. Genesect confuses me though.

POKEMONTRAINERZER0

Pokemaniac
Years
AW MAN A BUG TYPE CLUB!? Count me in! Sign -Up commence!
UserName: POKEMONTRAINERZER0
Partners: Beedrill, Shedinja
Reason:BUGS are the most unique of all types in my opinion. Great design, incredible/unusual movesets and strategies, And, well I like bug-types!

Favorite concept of a Bug Pokemon?
Well, there are definitely a lot of awesome bug types, but the one that is most appealing to myself? Shedinja. It's just- how is it alive? Magic. I guess all I can say is that it's uniqueness and awesome design makes it one of my favorites.

Years
Welcome POKEMONTRAINERZERO!

^^I really like shedinja too, the whole nincada line is very interesting. Even if shedinja is somewhat of a gimmick pokemon, the entire concept is really fascinating of it just being a shell. I also like the myth that goes with it of anyone who stares into it's back will have their spirit stolen.

I also like a lot of the Gen V Bug Types, actually. Genesect confuses me though.

I agree, Genesect is really confusing. I like how it was once a prehistoric bug but I don't get why team plasma would put a canon on its back, or what they were planning to use it for. Also, why did they make it look like a robot? :? (presuming it was less robotic before (since all fossils pokes are usually part rock type so I'm thinking it was team plasma who made it a steel type))

POKEMONTRAINERZER0

Pokemaniac
Years
Thanks Golurk, Good to be a part of this club.

So hmm a topic question?
uh..?

OH! Bug in real life that is a really good idea to be a base for a pokemon?

Years

Their cuteness.

I really think my favorite concept of a bug-type Pokémon is the factor that they have a type advantage to grass type. I remember when I first discovered that (by accident) and then I just took advantage of it one day in a battle.

Sector

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Ohio
  • Seen Oct 10, 2016

The question kind of confused me so I'm just going to go on with what I think is more fitting.

Bug type attacks such as X-Scissor, U-Turn & Megahorn are few of my favorite attacks. The type advantage that I most favor is how Super Effective Bugs are against Dark types, and like Zach said, Grass. It took me a long while to realize how effective it was against Dark Pokemon. As soon as I learn this, I didn't have to worry about Fighting type moves any longer. So as you can see, Bug type moves is a savior after all ;)

The Pokemon I found interesting in design is Volcarona, because it reminds me a lot like Mothra in the Godzilla movies. Not to mention many nickname her that so its very common I presume.

What kind of bug is Escavalier suppose to be anyway? I don't recall ever seeing a bug hidden under a STEEL shell. Steel is man-made, right? I hope there isn't a scientist out there inventing/creating bugs like this. What if it became dangerous & poisonous? Sorry about the rambling lol

I've always thought Genesect was some sort of ripoff to Mewtwo..I don't even like the look of Genesect. Its Burn Drive/Techno Blast move seem pretty useless as it has a very wide set of movepool anyway.

Starsprite

This is how we live!
Years
  • Age 26
  • TN
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
I agree, Genesect is really confusing. I like how it was once a prehistoric bug but I don't get why team plasma would put a canon on its back, or what they were planning to use it for. Also, why did they make it look like a robot? :? (presuming it was less robotic before (since all fossils pokes are usually part rock type so I'm thinking it was team plasma who made it a steel type))

Of all the teams, Team Plasma is not the one I could envision modifying a Pokemon with a cannon. I haven't heard much about B2/W2 though, so I don't know. Still, it just looks strange. I can't really imagine it being a rock type though, like a fossil Pokemon. For some reason I can only imagine it being a pure bug type (albeit a scary carnivorous one) back 300 million years ago when it was supposed to exist.

I've always thought Genesect was some sort of ripoff to Mewtwo..

That actually sounds about right, considering it's origins. I hadn't though of it that way before, but I agree with that.

What kind of bug is Escavalier suppose to be anyway?

Apparently it's based on a Japanese Snail-Eating Beetle. Like...I guess it's using the steel like it would a shell. (At least I presume the beetles do something with the shell.)

Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
username: kazekage1ichibi
partners:caterpie. that is all.
why you like bug types: theyre way too underrated
topic: lack of bug type moves.

Years
Welcome kazekage1ichibi!

What's your favorite concept for a bug pokemon?
Lol. Sorry for the confusion guys. I originally meant what was your favorite "inspiration" for a bug type, but I like the way you answered it too! @Zach and Sector, That's one of my favorite qualities too! I love using bug type moves against psychic, dark and grass types. It's very helpful against the first two since they aren't weak to a lot. Plus it's just... I don't know, really fun using bug moves! :D

What's a bug in real life that should be a base for a pokemon?
Nice topic, Zero! I'd like to see a trapdoor spider, a mosquito, and an assassin bug. A roli poli would be cool too. Insects and arachnids are really cool and diverse in real life, but not quite so in the pokemon world (compared to say the water, grass or normal types) There tend to be a lot of bagworms, butterflies, bees, and beetles. I'd also love to see version exclusive bug types where one is based on a leaf bug and the other is based on a stick bug ^_^

Why do you think there is such a lack of bug type moves?
Thanks for the topic kazekage! (as a side note, I really enjoy when you guys make topics. I don't think I always have the best ideas and it's a new take, I guess) I'm not sure, to be honest. It's silly how few there are, as there are a lot of things bugs do that could be made into attacks. (web spin, sting, some nectar based attacks lol) I'm going to expand this to attacks you'd like to see actually, since I think that goes hand in hand with this topic. As for attacks I'd like to see, more powerful ones, and more stat boosters. Maybe one could be called Scurry (the user scurries away from the opponent, raising its speed and lowering the opponent's accuracy?) Another could be Sting attack (The user attacks the opponent with a large sting. The foe may become inflicted with paralyzation, poison or sleep) (60 power, 10% chance of one of the status inflictions happening.

Side note. Rewards will be coming soon! :D

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013
It be cool to have a praying mantis pokemon probably bug/dark possibly something like a roach or a botfly and i dont think theres any ciceadas wich is weird being as how many there are in japan mabye even a full on wasp with the stinger in the back unlike beedrill

As for attacks i definatley want an attack besides bugbite and tackle for caterpie, common fears for bugs is that they will burrow into your brain or lay eggs on you, those might be a little vile for the game but laying eggs could function like leech seed or mabye even do that with say it drops the enemy one def and raises you one attack because as the eggs hatch they hurt the enemys protection and give you a little army

One more thing for a ability for bugs hive mind which boost the stats of your pokemon for wvery bug type in your party, because bugs hardly ever fight alone, and what do you mean about rewards?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
It be cool to have a praying mantis pokemon probably bug/dark possibly something like a roach or a botfly and i dont think theres any ciceadas wich is weird being as how many there are in japan mabye even a full on wasp with the stinger in the back unlike beedrill

I'm pretty sure we've got most of these laready -- the praying mantis being Kricketune, and the ciceadas Shedinja and Ninjask. The wasp concept it good, but I still think Beedril basically covers it. Although, it's not like we haven't had two pokemon cover the same concept.. so I think gamefreak could do something like this, and still keep things fresh!

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure we've got most of these laready -- the praying mantis being Kricketune, and the ciceadas Shedinja and Ninjask. The wasp concept it good, but I still think Beedril basically covers it. Although, it's not like we haven't had two pokemon cover the same concept.. so I think gamefreak could do something like this, and still keep things fresh!
Forgot about shedinja and on the wasp part i was going on the basis that beedrill left some to be desired i was thinking one of the wasps with the long thin tale that turns into a fat stinger also mabye we should get a water spider, and mabye a spider that corresponds to the rainforest ones. And still i dont recall any flys being done

Olli

Years

Hmm, I guess it has to do with the popularity of Bug type Pokémon, and just how there isn't much to them. There's a limited amount of attacks you could think of when bring up bugs, and most of them would have to with stings, bites, or something poisonous, which pretty much already has been covered in just the few attacks there are.

So yeah, I think it's mainly the limited amount of things you can base Bug type moves on that's the cause of a lack of Bug type moves.

Years
  • Seen Mar 3, 2013

Hmm, I guess it has to do with the popularity of Bug type Pokémon, and just how there isn't much to them. There's a limited amount of attacks you could think of when bring up bugs, and most of them would have to with stings, bites, or something poisonous, which pretty much already has been covered in just the few attacks there are.

So yeah, I think it's mainly the limited amount of things you can base Bug type moves on that's the cause of a lack of Bug type moves.
well they have several different types of bite. why cant bugs have ones that are based on different elementals, give bugs a chance to freeze, and technically poison sting is poison type.

Olli

Years
well they have several different types of bite. why cant bugs have ones that are based on different elementals, give bugs a chance to freeze, and technically poison sting is poison type.
Well I don't feel like that would be very Bug type like. And on the contrary, moves based on elements like Ice, Fire and stuff like that usually fall under their respective typing, and on the topic of biting moves, that would just go to Pokémon that are big enough to bite with a certain power, unlike with Bug type Pokémon, who have their own type of bite, due to it differing from others. So yeah, it wouldn't really make sense for Bug types to be able to learn moves based on elements that already have typings, which is also why there are so few moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back