• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opening the Game Cartridge to clean it to fix the game??

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Hello everyone.
So I have been using my DSi for a while without any problems, and I recently bought pokemon white on eBay, about 3 months ago. I have been playing almost every day with it but recently it has started to show problems and it's really freaking me out.
The game lags a lot, usually during battles on when walking (it's fine when the start up screen of Pokemon appears), it's like in slow motion, I have to VERY gently press with my finger on the cartridge to return it to normal speed, but it's annoying and just the fact that it doesn't work the way it's supposed to, makes me really nervous and upset, Pokemon White is really growing into me. I have tried playing with my old Pearl and everything works perfectly fine, so it's not that.
I have thought this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3mDnjdQrI and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_jJmlhPRAI
I currently can't afford to buy a new game because shipping to my country is very expensive, and I can't buy any of these replacement shells for the cartridge either, because they are sold in 10 pieces only, which is again expensive.
So the guys here use rubbing alcohol and sand paper. While I will NOT use sand paper, I wanted to know, does rubbing alcohol damage the game cartridge? I'll try to be very gentle, but, it's a liquid, really, will it fix my problem?
Also I have other games that I don't play such as Mario Cart, can I remove them from their cardridges and put my Pokemon White there, if it's the cartridge's problem? Has anyone tried this?
Please I REALLY need help, I'd appreciate any reply!!
Thanks!

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Moving to Technology and the Internet as that's a better suited location for your question.

Alcohol may help it, but just be sure to use very small amounts (and pure stuff too). Sandpaper isn't something I would use.

Matter of fact is it might just be defective, and that's not too unlikely given you got it from eBay too, which always poses such a risk.

Years
Yeah... buying cartridges off of eBay generally is high-risk because they have a higher tendency to be abused cartridges as well as a high chance it was improperly shipped, and there's also a risk of them being hastily-assembled cartridges containing pirated copies of the games.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
I got it from a seller with over 4000 positive feedback, and the game cartridge was placed inside the Pokemon White box (it was put in the DS spot), it came with the manual and everything so I really doubt it is a problem of improper shipping...
Some people suggest mixing alcohol with water, is that bad, since water evaporates less quickly than alcohol, or is it okay?
Also about changing the whole game's cartridge and placing it into a different one, what do you think of that? The thing is that even when I try to shake the pokemon white cartridge up and down after removing it, I can hear a sound that the chip is somewhat loose inside the cartridge, which doesn't happen with Pearl...

Reese Cake

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)? ?
Years
I'm no techno geek, but I watched these videos and the whole process seems pretty safe. If the lagginess is really bothering you that much, I don't see why you couldn't... Although, if I were you, I would just play it as it is and only use those processes if the game starts to have major problems.

And I wouldn't suggest mixing water and rubbing alchohol... If anything, just buy some that has a lower percent; maybe 60% or 70% alchohol. Water + electronics = bad.

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2013
Update: So I opened a game that I no longer play (Playground) with a knife, just to see how easy it would be for me to open them. I used my fingers and a thicker knife at first because I thought I was able to do it with my nails, but I was wrong. I took a thinner knife and used it's blade to open the cartridge, I did no cleaning since the game was working well, but however. When I tried to close it, it wouldn't, and I'm 100% sure it was because i used too much pressure at first with the thick blade of the knife. I glued it in place with duct tape and the game still works perfectly, however.

About my Pokemon game, just the fact that there is something wrong with the game makes me sad. I'm a "perfection" maniac (in terms of proper functionality) and the DSi has to be kept in certain angles for the game not to show lags. It stops showing problems every now and then, but then they suddenly appear when battling and such... :(

Back