• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emolga: Good or bad?

Your opinion on Emolga

• Total voters

kierany9

Pokemon Master of the world
Years
When I first faced an Emolga at Nimbisia gym, it took me quite a while to avoid being crushed by the pesky Pokemon. Later, after being stuck on Skyla's gym I had no choice but to grind away on my Emolga. Result? At level 30 it beat every single trainer and Skyla herself with barely a scratch. I decided to keep using Emolga until after Ghetsis, but I'm not sure how good it actually is, so I made a small analysis.
THE GOOD:
[S-HIGHLIGHT]The average Speed Stat is 66 for all Pokémon, and the average for all fully evolved Pokémon is 78. [/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Emolga has a base speed of 103, which is faster than a lot of Pokemon, including some of the bulkier legendaries. Emolga is even slightly faster than Zapdos, who has a base speed of 100. Also, buy a few Carbos and Emolga will be even faster.
Electro Ball is a move that deals more damage depending on your speed, dealing up to 150 base damage if you are four times faster than your opponent. Emolga can also learn Thunder Wave, which is instant paralysis and quartering the opponents speed. Which means, any opponent slower than Emolga will most likely take a hit from a 150 BP Electro Ball and any opponent faster will take a hit from a 120 BP Electro Ball.
Thunder Wave is also a decent stalling tactic by its self. However, Emolga can also use the following:
-Protect
-Double Team
-Flash
-Attract
-Substitute(And Roost)
-Toxic
-Swagger
This Pokemon is made for being a nuisance. Getting in three Double Teams/Flashes will make it twice times as hard to land a hit. Six Double Teams/Flashes will make it three times as hard. These moves make it incredibly hard to land a hit on Emolga. Swagger will confuse the opponent, which combined with paralysis alone, reduces the chances of landing a normal 100% accurate attack at 25%. When combined with a maxed out double team, this is reduced to 8.33%. When combined with a maxed out flash, this is further reduced to about 2.66%. This is all theoretical of course and would take 14 turns to set up, which is impractical. But 12.5%(1/8, three Double Team+Swagger+Thunder Wave) in five turns is pretty good. Roost heals half of Emolgas HP, making it very useful if your opponent does land a hit.

THE BAD:
[S-HIGHLIGHT]The average Defense stat is 70 for all Pokémon, and the average for all fully evolved Pokémon is 83 [/S-HIGHLIGHT]
Emolga has 60 defence, which is pathetic for a Pokemon that doesn't evolve. It's attack is spot on the average, but as stated before, it does not evolve. It also has sub-par special defence and average special attack. In summary, is other stats are terrible.
Another downside is its typing. Any rock or ice moves will finish off Emolga incredibly quickly, if not in one turn. Ground types are virtually invincible to Emolga's moveset. A possible counter is to Volt Switch out if you think you're going to be blown apart by Stone Edge etc and switch to a stronger, more resistant Pokemon.

POSSIBLE MOVESETS:
-Flash/Double Team
-Roost/Toxic
-Thunder Wave
-Swagger
This would be the basic stalling moveset. Confusion has a 50% chance of dealing damage so just sit back and relax as your opponent hurts itself in it's confusion.
-Double Team
-Thunder Wave
-Electroball
-Agility/Swagger
The sweeping moveset. Electroball will deal with any paralysed targets in an instant. Laying down spikes with another Pokemon could be a goood idea too.

VERDICT:
It's decent with high speed and annoying movesets, but one hit could be the end for it and its low damage doesn't help at all. Overall, in my opinion, Emolga is a pretty cool Pokemon. Looks epic too.

What do you guys think of Emolga?

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
I think it's an average Pokemon. It's got high speed but below average everything else. I wouldn't recommend using Emolga in a battle but it does look cool. I just don't really care for it battle wise.

Sirfetch’d

You are braver than me if you even tried to use it. It is fast, but IMO not very good. It has a limited movepool and bad defenses.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While Emolga is a fast Pokemon (it even trolls Garchomp in terms of Speed), it's not very good in battle competitively, because of its average offenses and shallow movepool.

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
I actually like its design. But i prefer pokemon that evolve most of the time, and it just isnt that strong.

Years
I generally like Emolga cos it's cute but it's not a viable competitive battler due to average stats in everything except Speed.

It is not too bad in-game though, I managed to get one to Level 60.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Interesting comparing it to Pikachu. It doesn't use a Thunderstone, however. I know when I encounter Emolga in the wild, however, I immediately turn tail and run; I haven't learned to do that with Pikachu in other games yet, perhaps because it doesn't learn as many moves that are so annoying.

Of course, if I have a Ground type with me, I just swap in.

As for annoying moves, the MOST annoying move of any is "Pursuit", which Emolga can also learn. Instead of dodging an attack that hits the next Pokémon out, you take double damage before the swap. VERY annoying.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Since this thread is discussing movesets and things like that imma throw it over to Battle Center! I'll probably end up replying later but if you wanna continue discussing, then yeah, it's in BC now!

kierany9

Years
Just a quick thing to note, Emolga is considerably better against the AI than a human player. The AI won't react to being paralysed and confused, while Emolga is double-teaming.
In all honesty, with a good moveset and a slower opponent, all you need is to survive the first turn to beat the AI. Swagger and Thunder Wave can quarter the chance of hitting you, plus Double team. Electroball can finish them off, but you might want to choose another move if you think you're going up against a ground type.
Against humans is another story. Swagger isn't as effective and chances to Double Team are few and far between.

kierany9

Years
I've been playing the online Pokemon battle simulator, Pokemon Online, and holy crap is this thing good(In most tiers anyway). I made a joke team called Gym Elesa and went challenging random people who didn't agree with me:
-Emolga(Swagger, Thunder Wave, Volt Switch, Toxic)
-Emolga(Swagger, Agility, Baton Pass, Volt Switch)
-Emolga(Swagger, Volt Switch, Acrobatics, Charge Beam)
-Emolga(Volt Switch, Thunder, Air Slash, Hidden Power Ice)
-Throth(Earthquake, Thunderpunch, Rest SuperPower)
-Zebstrika(Overheat, Volt Switch, Thunder, Hyper Beam)
Note: Emolgas may contain Focus Sashes
One Emolga has beaten single handedly:Hydreigons, Dragonites, Groudons and more.
The team has beaten: A perfectly balanced team(May or may not contain Raichu), four Arceus in a row(What trainer does that?) and more. Emolga's speed is more than enough to Swagger most Pokemon, allowing you to get a thunder wave in next turn.

DoesntKnowHowToPlay

Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good
Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
If you're considering using it in competitive battles, Zapdos outclasses Emolga in every stat bar Speed, and even then it only has three more, bringing it to a whopping 103. In exchange it has rubbish 55/60/60 bulk (barely more than Deoxys-N) and mediocre 75/75 mixed offenses, with no way to boost other than Charge Beam. Sure, it can sometimes get a kill using Swagger/Thunder Wave/Double Team abuse, but Zapdos can do it far better with its bulk, and can actually hit things, take hits respectively, and enjoy a broader movepool including Heat Wave and Whirlwind.

Emolga also suffers from being weak to Stealth Rock, and being slower than Terrakion, Latis, Lummed +1 Dragonites, scarfed Rotom-W...and against Espeon it's completely helpless due to its miserable attacking stats.

In RU or NU, it's somewhat more viable due to the lack of Zapdos outclassing it, but still can't take a hit and, going off your sets, has to rely on luck with Swagger to survive. Frankly, if you're going to use a mon that's dependent on Swagger to survive, you might as well use Electrode, which has more bulk, more speed, and more of an offensive presence.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Emolga is on the same level as Jumpluff, to me - something that has surprisingly decent stats but is never seen in standard play. It has potential, but it's definitely not something that can stand alone in the standard Overused metagame. It has a fine home in lower tiers and that's where it should stay. n_n; As for usage in games, eh.

Years
  • Seen Mar 22, 2014
Emolga is best a fun pokemon I like it very much
Its a pretty rare pokemon for me i never saw it in
a week But now i got finnaly it

dragonnathan025

Pokemon Breeder
Years
I actually like its design. But i prefer pokemon that evolve most of the time, and it just isnt that strong.

I'm training up a bulky Spiritomb for competitive use, sometimes not evolving is funny.

Anyway, sadly, Emogla's Electro Ball is the only decent thing about it, meaning against something like Krookodile, who I used to beat the gym, it is worthless, as Krookodile can either easily wall anything Emolga throws at it, or is flat-out immune.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2014
Hmmm... How about a triple battle with a player having six emolga, assuming they all get to use double team and volt switch at least once before they get killed off, then keep repeating? Sounds like a hilarious troll to me :P. I suppose you could volt switch and baton pass of with 3 emolga and 3 Shuckle, since ground wouldn't hurt them much and their annoying defense is nothing short of a hilarious joke (but nothing more since they can easily taken out). Sounds like the ultimate troll to me.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Home
  • Seen Nov 7, 2012
I think it is pretty good mostly the type match up because i really like electric and flying i guess it is kind of cute but mostly an average Pokemon

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I really dislike Emolga. It's very frail, has terrible, terrible stats and is downright annoying with its Volt Switches and double teams. Plus, it doesn't evolve, which doesn't help its already weak stats. It may be a cute and quite a well-designed pokemon plus it has good typings, but based on my experiences with it, this pokemon doesn't make the cut on my team. For electric-types, I'd rather much use other electric pokemon such as Eelektross or Galvantula which can pretty much sweep more effectively than Emolga (I'm a sweeper-orientated team person).

One of the other factors that contribute to my dislike for Emolga is the fact that it keeps popping out of the shaking grass while I'm Audino-hunting, but this is a different story. My disliking it may be irrational and such, but this is it from me.

Back