• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Design-A-Pokémon: X/Y Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy

just a guy
Years

Categories

1. Guidelines
  2. Judging
  3. FAQ

Design-A-Pokémon: X/Y Edition

[a id]guidelines[/a id]With a new generation comes new Pokémon. Pretend for a moment that you are a part of GameFreak's design team, and you've been assigned a task to design one of the many new Pokémon to be put into their upcoming titles Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Sound interesting enough for you? Alright then, let's get down to the finer details of your new task.
pixel_sylveon__by_zerudez-d5uoo1c.png
First off, your time frame. We can't keep the game developers waiting. Your timeline will be from Tuesday, March 26th 2013 ─ Tuesday, April 9th 2013. That's a total of two weeks to start and finish and you can join in at any time between these dates. Any later than that, and you're fired! Sorry, the boss' words, not mine. Can't draw? No problem! What are you doing on the design team? The boss is open to accepting all different mediums of art. If you can't draw it, you can create a pixel artwork, you can design it from a tablet, you can paint it, or you can describe its physical appearance using your own words. Whatever works best for you so long as a visualization of your Pokémon can be pictured. But wait, there's more. Other than designing your own Pokémon, there are some extra details you'll have to include in your submission. I'll break it down for you below:
  • Pokémon Design or Physique Description
  • Name
  • Type
  • Ability
    • You can use an existing ability or make one of your own. New abilities must include a brief explanation.
  • Classification
  • Gender Ratio:
    male.gif
    --%
    female.gif
    --%
  • Brief PokéDex Entry
    • If you've opted to make an evolution or pre-evolution of an already existing Pokémon, please mention so here and for which Pokémon and at what stage of evolution it is.
  • Base Stats
    • HP:
    • Attack:
    • Defense:
    • Special Attack:
    • Special Defense:
    • Speed:
(Sidenote: For the sake of organization and simplicity, it's probably best to follow this format as closely as possible when submitting your entry.) No plagiarism or stealing. If the boss finds out you've stolen the idea or artwork from someone else, there will be an infraction issued. Possibly worse depending on what sort of mood the boss is in. As a company we're not looking for any law suits, so make sure your work is your own and not anyone else's. This sounds great, but what's the catch? Alright, alright. I guess it's important you know that the boss enjoys a bit of competition between the staff. He thinks it brings out the best in their abilities. So while there will be a number of you creating your own Pokémon designs, the boss will only choose one of them to be included in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. So I hope you enjoy a little bit of competition. The rest of you will likely receive a slight bump in your next pay check. [a id]judging[/a id]

Judging

All entries will ultimately be judged based on creativity, originality, and believability. For example, if your Pokémon has base stats of 500/500/500/500/500/500, the boss is going to roll his eyes. Furthermore, your designs / descriptions will not be judged by how "good" your Pokémon appears or if you have excellent grammar (although, that would help). The boss isn't an art critic and he's not looking for the next Leonardo da Vinci. Hard work shows, and that' is what's going to count the most on your part. The more effort you put into your submission and the more detail, the better. A point system will also be used to judge each category (Design, Name, Type, etc., etc.) of your entry. It is important to note that some categories are worth more points than others. You can see what each category is worth below:
  • Pokémon Design / Description (50 / 50 points)
  • Name (10 /10 points)
  • Type (5 /5 points)
  • Ability (5 /5 points)
  • Classification (5 / 5 points)
  • Gender Ratio (5 /5 points)
  • PokéDex Entry (10 / 10 points)
  • Base Stats (10 / 10 points)
Total Points Possible: 100 / 100
It's more than likely that many of you will reach the 100 point value. However, as mentioned earlier your entries will also be judged based on your level of creativity, originality, and believability. This is how the boss will determine the final winner (...or winners?). [a id]faq[/a id]

Frequently Asked Questions

wN79tvx.png
Where do I submit my entry? Right here in this very thread! How many Pokémon designs can I enter? Just one per person. I have a bunch of old fakemon designs I've made in the past. Can I enter one of those? In fairness to others, it would be preferred if you create an entire new Pokémon. Also, using something created before that may have been used for other intents or purposes defeats the idea of the competition. Which is creating an entirely new Pokémon for Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. Oh no! I want to change my entry, but I've already submitted it. What do I do? From anywhere between Tuesday, March 26th ─ Tuesday, April 9th, you are free to edit and/or alter your submission as many times as you need. Rather than resubmit your entry again, just edit it from your original submission (in this case, your post). No entries will be judged until the end of the competition. I can't draw a Pokémon, so I'm going to describe it instead. What is an acceptable description? Description Examples:
Unacceptable Description said:
Pikachu is a small, yellow rodent. It has red spots on cheeks, long ears, and a long zigzag tail.
Acceptable Description said:
Pikachu is a short, chubby, rodent-like Pokémon with yellow fur all over its body. Pikachu's ears are long and come to a point with black tips. It has a small mouth, which resembles a sideways 3, it has black eyes with white pupils and two red circles on its cheeks. Its forearms are short and somewhat stubby, with 5 digits on each "hand" and its feet have three digits. It has two brown stripes on its back, and its tail is in the shape of Zigzag-styled lightning bolt, with a patch of brown fur at the base of the tail. Although it is technically a quadruped, on multiple occasions it has been shown to be able to stand and walk upright on its hind legs. ─ Bulbapedia
May I design a new pre-evolution or evolution for any of the preexisting Pokémon, including the already released Gen VI Pokémon? Yes, yes you may. Remember to keep it believable though. Sylveon is already an evolution of Eevee and likely won't have its own evolution. While Xerneas and Yveltal are Legendary Pokémon, so they likely won't have any evolutionary stages. Can I create a Pokémon of a new type? No word on whether we'll be getting a new type this generation, so let's just stick with the current seventeen we have now. How long after the competition is over will the winner be announced? Depending on how busy the boss may be, he'll try and have the winner of the Design-A-Pokémon: X/Y Edition selected no later than three days after the event is over. If longer, a notice will be posted. Let's cut to the case. What are the prizes!? Is the satisfaction of winning and making your own Pokémon not enough? No? Okay, well how about a shiny new emblem then? The winner will have his or her name announced in the forum splash for a week as well as receive a first place winning emblem. There will also be an emblem for the runner up as well as participant emblems for everyone who took their time to participate in this event here. I promise they'll be really pretty emblems (or at least I'll try!). Who's this boss you keep referring to? Is it you? You'll never know...
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE TO PM AERILYN. HAVE FUN, DESIGNERS!

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Add this to the FAQ.

Who are the judges?

(If you're still seeking those, I will humbly volunteer. I can't draw and don't really have an idea of my own NEway.)

Cyclone

Guy

just a guy
Years
Add this to the FAQ.

Who are the judges?

(If you're still seeking those, I will humbly volunteer. I can't draw and don't really have an idea of my own NEway.)

Cyclone
I thought that was pretty clear. The Boss will be the judge, but he's not currently looking for any volunteer help at the moment, but he greatly appreciates the offer! Thank you.

If any future events take place and there is a need for judges, I'll make sure and put out a notice for anyone interested beforehand.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
Is it limited to single stage pokemon or could you create three pokemon for the one family line?

Guy

just a guy
Years
Is it limited to single stage pokemon or could you create three pokemon for the one family line?
It's just one design, but you are free to create a new evolution, pre-evolution, or a split evolution from a Pokémon that already exists. For example, if you wanted to design your own Fennekin mid-stage evolution or a final evolution, you can do one of those. Or if it's a new Pokémon altogether, you can either choose to make it a single stage Pokémon or it can be a part of its own evolutionary chain, but you just need to provide one of its stage designs and make sure to mention it in the brief PokéDex entry.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Hey Aerilyn, you said the link is located in this very thread, but where is it? I can't find it.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Hey Aerilyn, you said the link is located in this very thread, but where is it? I can't find it.
What link may you be referring to?

If you're talking about where to submit your entry, then when you're all done designing your Pokémon and filling out the other little details, you can post your submission in this thread. No link was given in the original post other than the one to send a direct private message to myself. Hope this is what you meant.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
What link may you be referring to?

If you're talking about where to submit your entry, then when you're all done designing your Pokémon and filling out the other little details, you can post your submission in this thread. No link was given in the original post other than the one to send a direct private message to myself. Hope this is what you meant.

Ok thanks, time do get to work on dem Pokemans.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
Years
I'm down doing this...if only I have a scanner of some sorts...But I'll still try.

It be pretty cool if the 'boss' picks the ones he likes and create a PC Pokedex and puts the ones he likes in it. Just a bonus for the hard and creative work of the employees of who didn't win and such.

But I can get fired just for asking this XD. I'm going to be quite.

175.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
1ilbgo.png

Name: Snowly
Type: Ice/Flying
Ability: Snow Cloak / Overcoat / Cloud Nine
Classification: Endurance Pokémon
Gender Ratio: 50% / 50%

Brief PokéDex Entry:
Its wings are better suited to protection than flying. In bad weather, it shelters under its wings to stay warm. Its talons grip hard to rocks to keep from being blown away during harsh storms.

Base Stats:
HP: 85
Attack: 60
Defense: 100
Spec. Attack: 60
Spec. Defense: 90
Speed: 75

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Some of you may have seen my write this idea in another thread, and I like the idea so I brought it to life. Everyone, I give you:

Zlythax! (Designed it all by myself from scratch, no copyright) (sorry it's really big)
Spoiler:

Looks pretty evil right? I think It looks a little too evil for a kids game, but whatever I like it! He looks like he wants to slice something to bits with his serrated blades. Personally, I think that he should have less teeth in his mouth, that many teeth make it seem too detailed and evil.

Name Origins:

• Sly (Having or showing a cunning and deceitful nature)
  • Scythe (Sword-like implement)

Type: Poison/Dark

Abilities
:

• Assassin (Increases the base accuracy of OHKO moves, such as guillotine, from 30% to 75%. However it decreases both attacking stats by -6 stages, and both defenses by -2 stages)
  • Intimidate

Classification:
Killer Pokemon (or) Blade Pokemon (or) Darkness Pokemon

Egg Groups:
Human-like, Monster
Gender Ratio: 50% Male / 50% Female

Catch Rate: 3 (0.4% with full hp)

Height: 6'2" (1.9 metres)
Weight: 205 lbs (93 kg)

Pokedex:

(From Pokemon X) These cave dwelling creatures have a magical eye on their chest, which allow them to see through thick walls and spot their prey. The blades on their arms are imbued with powerful dark energy, and are able to slice through anything without effort.
(From Pokemon Y) Very powerful and dangerous creatures, Zlythax are imbued with tremendous amounts of dark energy that allow them to run at astonishing speeds to easily capture and feast on their prey. They use the magical eye on their chest to aid in hunting.

Stats:
Hp:
Atk: 100
Def:
SpAtk:
SpDef:
Spd:
BST: 520 (Base Stat Total)

Obviously, this pokemons stats are pretty reliable on its own, a speedy attacker with mild defenses and intimidate - stats kinda remind me of Accelgor. However if it has the assassin ability, he turns into a powerful sweeper. OHKO moves like guillotine have 75% accuracy, so he could sweep anything, at the cost of having putrid defenses and forced to only use OHKO moves due to minimised attacking stats.

Since it has the assassin ability, it can learn ALL the OHKO moves, including other moves. Here is the moveset learned by level up:
1 - Toxic
1 - Poison Sting
1 - Cut
1 - Venoshock
1 - Quick attack
5 - Bite
11 - Agility
13 - False swipe
16 - Dig
18 - Mean look
20 - Slash
25 - Guillotine
27 - X-Scissor
29 - Night slash
30 - Cross poison
35 - Glare
39 - Horn Drill
42 - Crunch
45 - Jump kick
50 - Darkness Blade (Signature move, dark type OHKO move)
65 - Swords dance
75 - Leaf Blade
100 - Fissure

Egg moves including:
Psycho cut
Close combat
Astonish
Sheer Cold
Extrasensory
Hi jump kick
Stomp
Lick
Snore
Sleep talk

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 16, 2014
Design: A large, bulky, powerful dire wolf with large fangs jutting out from its upper jaw. The fur along its spine is a darker grey color that appears almost black. Its fur gets lighter along its sides and has a light blue tinge, and its feet are snow white. Its legs are shorter than the average grey wolf, making it more sturdy and durable. The fur on its tail appears to stand up and out, as if to resemble icicles, and fades from blue to white. The fur on its shoulder blades area is mane-like and also resembles icicles, which also fade from blue to white. Ice crystals are extending from its ankle- area. It has a fierce facial expression and is always poised to attack. Its eyes glow blue.

Name: Lupice (Latin word for wolf, lupus + ice)
Type: Ice
Ability: Rivalry/ Snow Cloak/ Sheer Force
Classification: Wandering Pokemon
Gender Ratio: 60% male, 40% female (males have larger fangs)
Pokedex Entry: Although Lupice are never lost, it constantly wanders the frozen wastelands taking down anything it its path. Some believe it is constantly searching for something.

Base Stats:
HP:60
Attack: 130
Defense: 110
Special Attack: 55
Special Defense: 95
Speed: 60
Base stat total= 510

All in all, a very aggressive Pokemon, the catch rate would be very low, but not like a legendary. It appears to always be angry, but there are always exceptions. Males rival with each other for an alpha position, even though they do not travel in packs very often. They compete mostly for food and mating rights.

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
Name: Feralin(Feral-Fenrir)
Type: Dark/Ice
Ability: Godly Gaze(Sp.Atk of the opponent lowers)
Classification: Outcast Pokemon
Gender-

Pokedex entry: One of the three evil guardians.It lives on a high mountain away from humans.If a human comes into its territory he will never get out.It defends itself by hiding in an icy fog.

Base Stats:Hp:90
Atk:150
Def:100
Sp.Atk:95
Sp.Def:150
Speed:110

Appearence:
m9pw7m.jpg

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 2, 2014
[WORK IN PROGRESS]
Nigthmare Forme: Pokémon Design or Physique Description: Nightmare is a horse-like, quadrupedal Pokémon a black fog clings to its body its eyes are a glowing purple its 1.7 meters tall and weighs 95.0 kilo grams.
Dreamare Forme: Dreamare is a horse-like, quadrupedal Pokémon it is made out of golden sand its 1.7 meters tall and weighs 95.0 kilo grams.
Name:
Type: Dark (Nigthmare Forme)/Ghost (Dream Forme)
Ability:Nigthtime-Receives a small boost to all stats at nigth time.
Classification: Dream Horse Pokemon
Gender Ratio: Male 0% Female 100%
Brief PokéDex Entry: Nigthmare: A demon that torments human beings with frightening dreams. Dreamare: This Pokemon is said to be one of the sandman's creation
Base Stats: Hp: 80 Atk: 90 Def: 80 SpAtk: 90 SpDef: 80 Spd: 90

Last edited:

JayTheKing

~~King Of Valla~~
Years
It is just my love for a killer whale(orca) that i wanted such a strong pokemon
Orcom is from Orca + Phantom and imagine it like this since i aint good at drawing.
ANPR-EN017-EarthboundImmortalChacuChallhua.png

That Purple mark red and resticted to its back,the purple eyes as black,completely black and without the fin on is back

QUESTION:Can i submit another one cause i have some more ideas in my head or do i have to wait?

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
Years
QUESTION:Can i submit another one cause i have some more ideas in my head or do i have to wait?
Just one Pokémon per person, but you're free to change your original entry any time you want before the time is up if you think you can do something better or prefer to do something different.

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
JayTheKing, you don't have to draw it! I am also terrible at drawing, but I managed to create my Zlythax on Adobe Illustrator. And I gotta tell you I was pretty surprised that my design was so good (IMO), because I had only used Adobe Illustrator a few times before and I very rarely draw things by hand.
I suck at drawing things, yet I made an original work of art. Scarf made his own pic too (his pokemon was Snowly), but I assume that he would be very good at drawing.

(If you have Adobe Illustrator) I recommend that you create your own version of Orcom, you never know, you might be surprised! Of course, if you don't have Adobe, NEVER, EVER use Microsoft Paint, it is the absolute WORST designing program in history!
But if you do have Ai (Adobe illustrator), well you're lucky.

For all of you who are new with Ai and want to design your pokemon, I'll tell you what I did. At first, I had no idea how I was going to start with Zlythax, but I thought starting with the head was the most important part to start with, since the head is generally the most interesting part of a pokemon, and the fact that the head is generally at the front. I imagined my creature looked a little like venom from spider man, so I copied a picture of venom from Google images and traced around the head with the pen tool. I traced the head of this pic:
Spoiler:

If you look at his head and Zlythax' head they look very similar, just saying. I recommend copying an image from Google images and trace it for the basis of your design. Note: Generally, all you really need to trace is the head, otherwise the design may look too similar and may be cast aside due to copyright.
After I finished designing the head, I added a new layer and I drew a quick doodle of the rest of his body, like a template so I can design along my sketch, then I changed the transparency to make it barely visible (so it would not interfere so much, but I can still see it and create around it). After I finished my quick sketch I locked the layer - this means that I cannot interfere with my template while creating his proper body. I found this a lot easier than just trying to memorise what his body would look like.
And from there I just kept designing his body until I felt he was complete.

Hope this helps!!

Ha ha, I've been writing so much in this thread. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back