• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game Of The Year - What's Yours?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
Every year games are released, but for some people certain games edge out on the other, and has the particular favorite out of all games released from the year.

2012, arguably, is a disappointing years for gamers. A lot of games failed to live up their hype due to their big flaws (Assassin's Creed 3, Street Fighter x Tekken, Mass Effect 3, Resident Evil 6) and a lot were "same ol' same ol'" (Halo 4, Pokemon, both New Super Mario Bros, CoD: Black Ops 2). But, if you don't limit yourself to AAA big budget or "hardcore" games, then 2012 was completely full of surprising gems. Kid Icarus: Uprising, Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, Nintendo Land, Journey, Mark of the Ninja, The Walking Dead, Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale, Gravity Rush, Theatrythm, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Far Cry 3, etc were all fantastic games that far exceeded expectations. But enough talking about 2012 and let's talk about what YOUR game of the year is.

Personally, I have played around 15 games this year, but there is one game that not only managed to take the GOTY spot for me, but also went as high up as being my second favorite game of all time right behind Wario Land 4. As an avid gamer who has played tons of different games and genres, never before has I seen a game like....

Rhythm Heaven Fever/Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise
Rhythm-heaven-fever.jpg
beat_the_beat_rhythm_paradise_boxart.jpg

Also a contender for the most surprising game of the year. Normally I'm into long, "hardcore" (if you will) games and generally avoid "casual" games at all cost, but Rhythm Heaven, as a series, quickly changed the mentality of mine with its simple, yet innovative and addicting design choices.

This game reminded me of everything that I loved about games....and realized that I'd much rather prefer to be a casual than a hardcore gamer. There is only one control scheme - the A button, and sometimes though not common B. Basically, just press A to the beat, and A+B in some games. Why would a game like that be my GOTY, you might ask? Simple. It's really addicting, full of charm and challenging to boot, but the biggest reason of them is the joy it has brought to me while playing the game. If this game's objective is to make you smile, like video games should always be imo, then it has not failed. Every time I play this, and I cannot stress this enough, I have a smile in my face and felt like I was in heaven, or paradise if you're in the UK. (Both for me!) I cannot recall any other game that last brought me this much joy than the already mentioned Wario Land 4. (Doneky Kong Country Returns and Mario 3D Land were pretty close though)

I see myself dancing to the beat every time with it's wonderful music tracks and sound. I see myself trying my hand getting a medal on one of my favorite levels (which is all of them except for freaking Tap Troupe). I see myself wanting to play this game every damn time I think about it. Simply put, no other game has made me feel like such a child again. Is that a bad thing? No. It's wonderful! Rhythm Heaven was the root to my purchase of many other Wii games that I have missed in the past that could be dubbed as casual or childish, and has made me realize that the Wii is my favorite home console of all time. The 2009 DS game is also brilliant and one of my favorites, but the Wii game is better to me. If I could, I would try the original Rhythm Tengoku on the GBA in a heartbeat, had it been localized that is.

Other categories for this year (for fun):
Favorite remake/remaster: Metal Gear Solid 3D
Favorite handheld game: Kid Icarus: Uprising
Favorite sports game: Mario Tennis Open
Favorite fighting game: Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Favorite platformer: New Super Mario Bros. U
Favorite shooter: Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Favorite RPG: Persona 4 Golden (OK, I haven't played this, but I did play the original this year and Golden won't be out till next year for Europe.)
Favorite multiplatform title: Tekken Tag 2 again. Only one I liked, actually.
Favorite eShop game (VC included): Wario Land 3
Favorite PSN game (PS classics included): None. Haven't bought any from this year.
Favorite XBLA game: None. Haven't bought any from this year.

Don't have to copy/paste that, make up your own categories.

Years
Console
Favorite PC Game: Guild Wars 2
Favorite Xbox/PS3 Game: Battlefield 3
Favorite Wii/U Game: New Super Mario Bros. U
Favorite Handheld Game: Pokemon Black/White 2

Genre
Favorite FPS: Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3
Favorite RPG: Skyrim
Favorite Sanbox: Minecraft
Favorite Sports Game: FIFA 13
Favorite Racing Game: Forza Horizon
Favorite Fighting Game: Sleeping Dogs
Favorite Platform: New Super Mario Bros. U

Game of The Year: Battlefield 3

You can call me mainstream for picking BF3, but I think it deserves it anyday. It's none of that CoD nonsense where noobs can own you and be annoying; this game involves strategy and teamwork. I prefer long games and ones with big maps, well done BF3!

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
As far as I know, BF3 was last year, not this one. Same with Skyrim. And Sleeping Dogs isn't a fighting game.

Years
I do realize that they were both released in 2011, but both later on in the year and I think deserve recognition for this year, considering DLC and major updates were released this year for both games.

Sleeping Dogs is an action/adventure, but the fighting aspect and amount of fighting within the game places it in the 'fighting' category for me.

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Does Catherine count as 2012? I mean, Europe did get it in 2012, so it was probably my favorite game this year. Honorable mentions: Warriors Orochi 3, Walking Dead, Pokemon B2W2. Haven't played that many games from this year. At least not till the end.

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
Years
Spinosaurus said:
Stuff about Rhythm Heaven Fever

This. Oh good God THIS so hard.

I've only just played it this year because I couldn't afford to buy it (cheap as it was) in 2011. But if we're going for GoTY based on when you played it? RHF, easily. It's not even a contest.

If you can still import Rhythm Tengoku somehow, I'd recommend it. I ended up buying two, one for me and one for my sister (there's only one save file), and we both ended up having a blast. Honestly, it's probably the best version based on gameplay mechanics, in that almost all the buttons are used (but it's still rooted in simplicity). You may like the music in other games more, and I think the endless games in sequels are better (though endless Doctor Virus is pretty cool), but I still think you'd appreciate all the stuff you can do considering the lack of a restrictive system. The drum lessons can get pretty intense.

I still find myself thinking about RHF, as I left my Wii back at my old home, and I really miss playing it. I can't stop grooving to the game in my head, and I just wanna play those songs again. The localized vocal tunes are also very catchy this time out, way better than most of the ones in the DS game. I can't stop humming Tonight or I FEEL FINE! or whatever it's called outside of Japan (Remix 3).

It's another swing and a hit for the Rhythm Heaven team, also responsible for Wario Ware (it's no wonder this series is so great), and probably one of their best outings as far as the music, catchiness, fan service, endless games (the two player ones are pretty amazing), and overall fun factor, especially with another person. It makes me wonder if this is it for the series, and as much as I hate a franchise being driven into the ground, I kind of hope for at least one more Rhythm Heaven. I'm not quite ready to part with this franchise, yet. If not, hey, I'd say it went out with a bang!

As for everything else I'm kind of indifferent, but...

Best Xbox360: I dunno. I mean, I like Rayman Origins on an artistic level, but I think I'd've have to give it to Deathsmiles, which is another old game I've only just played. I love SHUMPs, and prior to this, I've never played one from CAVE. Once you learn the system, it's addictive as all get out, and the soundtrack is amazing (as well as the arrange soundtrack). Consider this a gateway game as I'm now curious to play as many other CAVE shooters as possible.
Best Handheld: Kirby: Mass Attack. It really surprised me.

... that's it. I don't play a lot of video games, it seems.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Borderlands 2 is my game of the year, no questions asked. I've ranted about how wonderful it is countless times before so I shan't again, but essentially it's just such an amazing game that I haven't been able to stop playing it since I first picked it up - a truly wonderful sequel to the original Borderlands. I also adored Kid Icarus: Uprising as a surprisingly great game for the 3DS, but it still doesn't come close to BL2.

PS3: Borderlands 2
PC: Skyrim (released late last year I know, but I've only been playing it this year so for me it's a game of the year)
xBox: Halo 4
Wii(U): New Super Mario Bros. U
Handheld: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
Years
I have a lot of categories, but i'll just make it simple and only pick a few of the main ones.

Favorite Shooter:
Far Cry 3
Favorite RPG: Borderlands 2
Favorite exclusive game: Torchlight 2
Favorite HD Remake: Okami HD
Favorite handheld game: Resident Evil Revelations
Favorite fighting game: Soul Calibur V

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
being in the middle of replaying skyrim has me rethinking my previous vote to 1. morrowind 2.skyrim 3.world of warcraft....yeah i forgot how addicting skyrim is and oblivion was my first next or rather current gen title

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
This is a thread about games you played that were released this year (or, well, last year.) NOT any game you played this year.

If it was released in your region or preferred system of choice this year (provided you didn't import or played it on a different system last year), then it counts. Examples for the former include Rhythm Heaven Fever which was released in Japan last year but America/Europe this year or Catherine which was released in Japan/America last yera but Europe this year and Rayman Origins which was released for PS3/360/Wii last year but 3DS/Vita/PC this year for the latter.

BeausaHD

The Beau In HD
Years
Best Game Of 2012?

For me it would either be Far Cry 3 or The Walking Dead!!!

Favorite PC game: Guild Wars 2
Favorite Xbox 360 game: Far Cry 3
Favorite XBLA game: The Walking Dead
Favorite Handheld game: Pokemon White 2
Favorite PS3 game: BLOPS2
Favorite RPG: Dark Souls
Favorite Sports Game: Fifa 13
Better than my last post :P

Last edited:
Years
Now that I have time, I can post in here! >:3

Console
Favorite PC Game: Guild Wars 2
Favorite PS3 Game: Journey
Favorite Handheld Game: Gravity Rush (PSVita)

Genre
Favorite FPS: XCOM
Favorite RPG: Skyrim
Favorite Sports Game: FIFA 13
Favorite Racing Game: F1 2013
Favorite Fighting Game: Sleeping Dogs

Game of The Year: Journey

I know right, Journey as game of the year, but this game is just something special and really stuck out for me.​

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Tribes Ascend. It left beta quite early in 2012 so it's easy to forget after the fourth quarter releases, but is a good reboot of an FPS classic, and in today's market, oldschool shooters in general. It's the first game ever that I would actually take a competitive interest in.

TY

Fave Sports game: FIFA 13
Fave handheld game: Pokemon Black 2/White 2

I havent bought many games in 2012 (or played games made in 2012), but Far Cry 3 was a real suprise for me... such a big improvement compared to Far Cry 2. I also like Hitman Absolution althrough i dont know the excact genre of it. My biggest waste was Black Ops 2.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
Oh, we're allowing games that aren't from 2012 now? OK, my vote goes to Super Mario Bros. 3. Even though it wasn't released in 2012, it was released late in the 20th century, so I think it should count.

Sarcasm aside, I didn't like many of the games I played last year. Most ranged from mediocre to disappointing. I'm really liking Pokemon Black 2 so far, but I'm not done with it yet (I only started last week). Spec Ops: The Line was kind of a neat deconstruction of its own genre, but it suffers from a few major problems (railroading being the worst of those).

I'll have to give it to The Walking Dead or Katawa Shoujo. Both were barely even games at all, but at least they connected with me on some kind of emotional level. Pretty much everything else was somewhere between "decent" and "utter garbage."

On a side note, there were a few games I wanted to play but didn't get a chance to. XCOM was probably foremost of those.

Sir Codin

Since people are stating Skyrim on account of the fact that it was released late last year and it's DLC and updates were mostly this year, I'll go with that one for both console and PC (I sold the former once I found my laptop could play the latter).

If you don't think that counts, then I guess Assassin's Creed III would be the console GOTY for me, even though I found the ending disappointing. I didn't play that many new games this year, to be honest.

Really, I loved the first two Mass Effect games, but I couldn't even get to the apparently terrible endings of Mass Effect 3 because for some reason, the game just felt way too rushed. Gameplay was good, but although the story had some awesome moments (like the giant thresher maw battling a Reaper; I was FLOORED when I saw that), the overall story just wasn't what I wanted it to be. I sold ME3 to get Black 2; that should say everything.

Handheld, as much as I want to say Black 2, Kid Icarus Uprising was one of the most endearing games I've played on handheld in a long time. Some people think it's repetitive, but that didn't really bother me that much. The game was fun as hell and the dialogue was just far, far too endearing to not love. And it was pretty challenging, too.

Like I said, I didn't play too many new games this year. I'm thinking of getting a Gamefly account to correct that for this year.

Last edited:

Aura Vitae

Down, Sword Hand!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2019
For a Handheld I would probably say Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance and for a console game I'd say Tales of Graces f mainly because of it's battle system, the characters, and the final boss.

Back