• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rock Climb with Overworld Animation

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
You only need to insert the scripts once. Above Main is the best place to do so, but the key thing is that it does not go before PField_FieldMoves

Gotcha!
I did it! Thank you guys!!
And I added animations going down, too (although it's ugly yet... nothing that some editions won't help...)
Btw, is there any way to set its movement speed while its going up or down?
I did it with the following:

if movementcounter == 7
event.move_speed=6
event.move_up
movementcounter = 0

But it's got strange, getting frameskips...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Gotcha!
I did it! Thank you guys!!
And I added animations going down, too (although it's ugly yet... nothing that some editions won't help...)
Btw, is there any way to set its movement speed while its going up or down?
I did it with the following:

if movementcounter == 7
event.move_speed=6
event.move_up
movementcounter = 0

But it's got strange, getting frameskips...
The animation I made for this resource uses a rather... awkward workaround. I hide the player's actual sprite and play a picture overlay on top of the screen. This picture overlay is already perfectly synced up with the movement speeds and frame delays so that the player's sprite realigns with the picture overlay when the animation ends.

So if you try to change the movement speed, you're going to break the picture overlay and some frames will be skipped, or rather won't have time to be shown. If you wanted to increase the event speed, you'd need to carefully and meticulously realign the animation speed to match the new event speed. However, I may already be using a frame delay of 1, in which case there's no way to speed up the animation any further without changing how the animation is being created and shown.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 10, 2021
The animation I made for this resource uses a rather... awkward workaround. I hide the player's actual sprite and play a picture overlay on top of the screen. This picture overlay is already perfectly synced up with the movement speeds and frame delays so that the player's sprite realigns with the picture overlay when the animation ends.

So if you try to change the movement speed, you're going to break the picture overlay and some frames will be skipped, or rather won't have time to be shown. If you wanted to increase the event speed, you'd need to carefully and meticulously realign the animation speed to match the new event speed. However, I may already be using a frame delay of 1, in which case there's no way to speed up the animation any further without changing how the animation is being created and shown.

Got it!
I'll try to make a new animation based on yours (since I'm using different game sprites, I must change its animation sprites... a bit).
Anyway, thanks a lot!
It was a VERY HELPFUL tutorial!
God blesses you! :D

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Hey, I'm using PE v16, and I pasted the script you provided at the top of PField_Encounters, and defined the terrain tags in PBTerrain as
RockClimb = 17
RockCrest = 18

However, I'm getting this error on attempting to playtest:

"Script 'PField_Encounters' line 3: NameError occurred.
uninitialized constant PBTerrain::ROCKCLIMB_TERRAINTAG

Do I need to define the terrain tags further in some way?
Thanks for the help and the awesome resource.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Hey, I'm using PE v16, and I pasted the script you provided at the top of PField_Encounters, and defined the terrain tags in PBTerrain as
RockClimb = 17
RockCrest = 18

However, I'm getting this error on attempting to playtest:

"Script 'PField_Encounters' line 3: NameError occurred.
uninitialized constant PBTerrain::ROCKCLIMB_TERRAINTAG

Do I need to define the terrain tags further in some way?
Thanks for the help and the awesome resource.
Hmm, maybe it doesn't like me using constants to assign the tags?

Try changing:
Code:
module PBTerrain
  RockClimb = ROCKCLIMB_TERRAINTAG
  RockCrest = ROCKCREST_TERRAINTAG
...to:
Code:
module PBTerrain
  RockClimb = 17
  RockCrest = 18
...and see if that fixes it.

EDIT: No, that's definitely not it. The problem was on the user's end.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
Thanks a ton, that worked so far. I'm now able to playtest, but when interacting with the tiles in the field and attempting to use Rock Climb, I'm getting the following error:

Exception: NameError

PField_Encounters:138:in `pbRockClimb'

PField_Encounters:186

PField_Encounters:183:in `call'

Event:54:in `trigger'

Event:49:in `each'

Event:49:in `trigger'

Scene_Map:175:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

Scene_Map:65:in `loop'

Scene_Map:72:in `main'

---------------------------

I actually wasn't clear on where or how to set the ENABLE_DESCENDING in the script or if it needs to be altered at all. Also, when interacting with a rock crest tile, this error occurs immediately, before I am asked if I would like to use Rock Climb. Thanks for any assistance.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Thanks a ton, that worked so far. I'm now able to playtest, but when interacting with the tiles in the field and attempting to use Rock Climb, I'm getting the following error:

Exception: NameError

PField_Encounters:138:in `pbRockClimb'

PField_Encounters:186

PField_Encounters:183:in `call'

Event:54:in `trigger'

Event:49:in `each'

Event:49:in `trigger'

Scene_Map:175:in `update'

Scene_Map:68:in `main'

Scene_Map:65:in `loop'

Scene_Map:72:in `main'

I actually wasn't clear on where or how to set the ENABLE_DESCENDING in the script or if it needs to be altered at all. Also, when interacting with a rock crest tile, this error occurs immediately, before I am asked if I would like to use Rock Climb. Thanks for any assistance.

"ENABLE_DESCENDING" is one of the options at the top of the script. Did you delete it or something? I can't see how it could be undefined since by default I have it defined for you...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 21, 2021
You were right, my bad this time. Thanks again, everything looks good.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 4, 2020
Pokemon Essentials
[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]

Exception: TypeError

Compiler:644:in `+'

Compiler:644:in `canonicalize'

Compiler:642:in `each'

Compiler:642:in `canonicalize'

BitmapCache:372:in `load_bitmap'

====UlithiumRockClimb:236:in `pbRockClimbAscendFrames'

====UlithiumRockClimb:120:in `pbAscendRock'

====UlithiumRockClimb:210:in `pbRockClimb'

====UlithiumRockClimb:250

====UlithiumRockClimb:247:in `call'

Im getting this error to. i have kopie the grapics and everything to my game but i still get this error. . Im using 17.2 and elite battle system. Anyting i can do?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Spoiler:

Im getting this error to. i have kopie the grapics and everything to my game but i still get this error. . Im using 17.2 and elite battle system. Anyting i can do?

Did you follow all the instalation instructions detailed at the top of the script? I.e. make sure it's placed below PField_HiddenMoves and above Main, and that you've placed the correct terrain tags on your rock climb tiles.

It looks like $rc_spriteframe is undefined. I don't see how that's possible, since it's defined before the point where it's erroring out. Please make sure you didn't accidentally edit anything in the script and that you pasted all of it.

I don't use EBS, but it's definitely is not incompatible with this script.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 4, 2020
I have placed below PField_FieldMoves and above Main. I have set rock climb tiles to 17. and did not edit enyting in the script before after i had pasted it in. i only changed RockClimb = ROCKCLIMB_TERRAINTAG to 17 and RockCrest = ROCKCREST_TERRAINTAG to 18. that its all i did.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
I have placed below PField_FieldMoves and above Main. I have set rock climb tiles to 17. and did not edit enyting in the script before after i had pasted it in. i only changed RockClimb = ROCKCLIMB_TERRAINTAG to 17 and RockCrest = ROCKCREST_TERRAINTAG to 18. that its all i did.
Hmm. I still can't see any way that $rc_spriteframe could be undefined by the time the script gets to where the error report is for you, but try this:

Under def Kernel.pbRockClimbAscendFrames, add this line:
Code:
$rc_spriteframe = 1 if !$rc_spriteframe

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 4, 2020
Still not working. geting the same error. but thanks for the help. i think i will keep RockClimb out of my game.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
Still not working. geting the same error. but thanks for the help. i think i will keep RockClimb out of my game.

Well did you or any other scripts you've installed or edited that edit def to_s? That could cause this.

The fact that you're the only person to report this error means its very likely a conflict on your end.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 4, 2020
i have the EBS script. HMItems by Marin script, the pokemon icons on pokecenter monitor by you script, Fly Poke Ball script by you. Thats all the scripts i have instalet sins i started making my own game. So you think the error is coming because of any of the other scripts?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
i have the EBS script. HMItems by Marin script, the pokemon icons on pokecenter monitor by you script, Fly Poke Ball script by you. Thats all the scripts i have instalet sins i started making my own game. So you think the error is coming because of any of the other scripts?

I'm not sure. Try putting p $rc_spriteframe on a new line right after the line I told you to add before and tell me what it prints.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 4, 2020
after i have put in the lines you told me to add. i got i error screan that say only 1. then when i push ok. i get the same error from befor i added the lines.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
after i have put in the lines you told me to add. i got i error screan that say only 1. then when i push ok. i get the same error from befor i added the lines.

Well that's correct, and now this makes even less sense. Where did you end up putting this script? Try putting it directly above Main and see if it fixes anything.

You could also try removing .to_s, but I think that will just cause a different error. I'd try it anyways, though.

I sounds like for some reason you've done something that prevents integers from being converted into strings with .to_s, and if that's the care you're likely going to run into this problem again... So you really need to figure out what's wrong.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Oct 4, 2020
okay. mabye i just have to delete my game and start from skratch again. maby that will remove the error. do think i can copy my maps from my game over to my new game? or do you think i need to make them all again? and then try to instal the new script later?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2023
okay. mabye i just have to delete my game and start from skratch again. maby that will remove the error. do think i can copy my maps from my game over to my new game? or do you think i need to make them all again? and then try to instal the new script later?

You can easily copy maps from one project to another. Just open two projects and copy+paste the maps. But if you're going to do that, it would be much easier to just copy+paste a fresh copy of the Scripts.rxdata file in the Data folder from an unmodified version of Pokemon Essentials. That will cleanse the script block and you won't have to worry about losing your maps.

Back