• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Doesn't B/W give you nostalgia?

zephyr6257

Hi. I'm strange. Kthnxbye. :)
Years
Whenever I play Pokémon Black, I always feel like I'm six years old all over again jamming my thumbs on a GameBoy Advance playing Pokémon FireRed, or watching the original Pokémon series with Misty and all. Doesn't it feel so nostalgic? Share your experiences.

Blues-Music

Pokemon researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Yes.Not only is it like i'm playing my childhood all over again I play it with groundbreaking graphics , and new pokemon , but what really increased the nostalgia feature was adding old pokemon.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I can't get a nostalgia feeling off something that just came out.

Years
I agree, it gives me a nostalgic feel. It was the first pokemon game I got when it came out, and there's just something about opening the present containing the starters and walking down route 1 with Cheren and Bianca that kind of gives me the chills. :D

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
If any of games in the last few years has not gave me nostalgia it would be these games. With Gen IV at least they evos and pre evos on previous gen pokemon. In BW though it was unto itself and there was no connect. The remakes are the things that give me the nostalgia because I am reliving the games with updated graphics and other settle changes.

Years
I seriously didn't even have that feeling. I started to lost motivation for Pokemon. I only had nostalgia while playing Fire Red.

Blues-Music

Pokemon researcher
Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
No connections?It had tons of old pokemon , and it was the same style , but with better graphics.Also I doubt it can cause headaches unless its because of staring at the bright screen for too long.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I felt a little nostalgia wave come over me as I played B/W; it almost felt as if I was playing Red/Blue for the first time due to the lack of older Pokemon early-game.

Sodapop

Pokemon Trainer
Years
I loved B/W, it kept me going for hours on end, and whenever I lost
(Mostly Elesa and Drayken), it gave me so much thrill that I kept trying
over and over until I'd win.

phonastik

Strange Quark
Years
I think nostalgia is the wrong word, but I know what you mean. Something felt... familiar about it. Starting up Red with my friend, exploring a new world, finding all these new creatures. I felt like I was 6 again, but I knew what I was doing haha.

Years
I think nostalgia is the wrong word, but I know what you mean. Something felt... familiar about it. Starting up Red with my friend, exploring a new world, finding all these new creatures. I felt like I was 6 again, but I knew what I was doing haha.
True. Nostalgia is not the word to describe this feeling. BW has often kept me thinking something like "what am I suppose to do next?" and "what does this do?" and "what level will my pokemon evolve?". Of course, it's been more than a decade since I first touched pokemon games, and I've learnt many basic things which wouldn't trouble me anymore in BW (like how to walk out of the door. When I first played Yellow, I was wondering why I couldn't exit the house and kept stepping on and off the front door carpet, and like how to catch a pokemon, because in my first game of pokemon blue I kept throwing pokeballs at full hp pokemon just like how the tutorial showed).

But still, it gave me a sense of mystery, and the urge to play the game even more because there is so many stuff that was unknown to me.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
B/W at first definitely gave me nostalgia of... something. It didn't quite remind me of playing Pokemon at the start but it gave me more of a familiar feel than any other games have done up til this point. I remember my first steps onto Route 1! They were exciting!!! n_n And even now, when I play B/W it makes me feel more nostalgic now than I feel about any other game even though it's only been a bit over a year. :3

Years
BW didn't give me nostalgia of memories (because I had been playing for most of my life and on every generation (duh!)), but it certainly did give me some form of nostalgia. I remember when the first ever images of B/W came out, and the first one I saw was of Castelia City, and because of that, I thought that every area in Unova was going to look like that. However, that gave me a sense of nostalgia because of the advance in graphics from the previous generation (in the nostalgic example, Generation II jumping to Generation III).

Ice Car

Banned
Years
Not really... HG/SS made me Nostalgia BADLY, but B/W? Nah. I just think "Awesome, another Pokemon game!" Kind of hard to feel nostalgic in an entirely new region with absolutely zero familiar pokemon around to catch.

Years
  • Seen Oct 23, 2012
Maybe in 10 years when they make a B/W remake on the new Nintendo 3DS Holographic or some crap i will see it as nostalgic.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Maybe in 10 years when they make a B/W remake on the new Nintendo 3DS Holographic or some crap i will see it as nostalgic.
That would be the Nintendo XLTrio Handheld.

Of course, I made that up. But you're right on one thing; the remake of B/W will provide the nostalgia.

Cyclone

Years
Black & White gave me some sort of nostalgia, particularly the time I first heard about the games.

Gameplay-wise, it does bring back memories of Kanto cos of you know, new region with no familiar Pokemon. But again, Game Freak were putting in a lot of call backs to Red, Blue and Yellow.

Years
  • Age 31
  • IL
  • Seen Jan 12, 2013
It felt like a "fresh start", not nostalgia. (Nostalgia to me would be Gen I - III)

Back