• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Classics vs the modern day games.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
What do you guys prefere the classic video games you loved as a child, or the modern day extremely photo realistic games of the modern day?

I personally have more of a liking for the classic games, such as Donkey Kong Country, Bomberman and the n64 Zelda games, this is mainly due to the fact I loved them as a kid and kept that love going through my life, Once I reached college which was a gaming course, my love of the classics was allowed to blossom even more and I feel that is why I have such a love of the Hoenn pokemon games, because of simplicity yet great features.. of course modern games like Bioshock and Borderlands which really get my graphic juices flowing and of course I will always be a sucker for the FPS games like Halo, COD and Battlefield, but in the end I will always have a love of the classics more.

So i ask you all, Classics or Modern? Also what games do you enjoy now and as a child?

TY

Some part of me preferres the classic games (Red Alert 1, StarCraft 1, Tiberian Sun, NFSU2), and the other part preferres the modern games (StarCraft 2, Borderlands 2), but im going for the classics since they made me love the games i love now.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
Years
I much prefer the modern day derivation of every genre of games apart from puzzle games. Old school puzzle games rock!

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I love playing modern games more than classics. Modern games offer more gameplay and mechanics that just make them more enjoyable. The higher quality graphics and VGM are also a plus. Of course, I don't mind playing the occasional classic game. Many series that I play now started out as a classic.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I love the games that I grew up with, and I really appreciate all the moments that they've given me, but to be honest, I prefer modern games over them. The graphics in today's games are so much better, the sound quality makes you think that you're actually a part of the game, and the integration of internet-based game modes allow us to play with anyone that we want to, regardless of where they are in the world. I still play some of the old games on my computer and tablet, though, just so I can relive my memories. :)

Last edited:

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I don't have a preference for classic or modern games. I just like to play games that I think are fun. I find Pac-Man and Katamari Damacy to both be enjoyable. Looking back at gaming's rich history, there's titles in every era that are good and those that aren't so good (generally speaking; everyone has their own opinions). I don't use age as a factor in my preference for games. When it comes to long running series however, I may show a preference for a particular era in the series history if things changed in a way that made me like or dislike it. For example I'm less fond of modern Final Fantasy games (though I still enjoy and play them) than I am of older ones because I enjoyed the turn-based and ATB battle systems of past titles. That doesn't mean I won't play them. Action battle systems are fine, and that's the general direction RPGs are moving in, but I will miss turn based.

Nakala Pri

It is so hard to decide! I mean, Ocarina of Time and well, everything else vs. Eternal Sonata and Pokemon Black and Conquest. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Brain exploded.

I guess I'm going to have to go with modern. I mean, there are so many vast improvements, though I will miss the freaky, chip-tune games with the weird controls... *sigh* xD

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
I am too much a retro gamer, honestly. I love the classic SNES and GB games. They will always remain with me. Some of my favourites are...
>Chrono Cross (PS1)
>Chrono Trigger (SNES)
>Radical Dreamers (SNES)
>Kirby's Dreamland (GB)
>Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
>SMW2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
>Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie (N64) (R.I.P RareWare of the 90's. Thee shalt be missed!)
>Zelda 2: Adventure of Link (NES)
>Megaman 1-8 (NES, SNES, PS1) (DAT MUSIC!).

These are just a few names. I do enjoy some modern games though, but not as much as the retro's.

>Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
>Pokemon Platinum (DS)
>Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) (Extra-hyped for the 3DS one!
10.%20giggle.gif
)
>Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
>Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
>Megaman 9 & 10 (Wiiware / Xbox Live Arcade) (Again ... DAT MUSIC!)
>Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 (PS2)

I clearly favour the retro games more then the more recent ones. But I'll keep playing the recent ones as long as I find something that looks appealing. (I honestly think that a vast few games from the more now-a-days are quite "bleh". But meh, things are actually looking very good now with some of the more recently released / announced titles.)

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
Years
I like both sides, but I am leaning more on the retro side. They are usually more simple, but have layers of depth. Most popular games today *cough*callofduty*cough* are too overly complex, when the gameplay is pretty shallow to me. I do love me some Valve, Nintendo, and indie games today though.

Back